Things That Struck You as Interesting Tonight...

matts

As I watched the broadcast tonight these thoughts popped into my head...

1.  How hard it is to get that first state champ.  I think four or five schools wrestled for their first state champion tonight...  pretty sure they all came up short.   

2.  How hard it is to replace a legendary coach and stay competitive- What Shaefer and Schoettle have done is amazing.

3.  It was awesome to see a Belmont wrestler back in the finals.

4.  I will never get used to the absence of certain schools that were once icons in Indianapolis and state level wrestling.  I hope someone can save them before they fade away for good. 

6.  I hope to see IPS schools return one day too.    

7.  Hearing Kevin Whitehead say "Maldanado!"  Who didn't love that?  It was kind of like time travel. 

Im sure there are more.  

1. I never thought I'd see Mendez on his back and nearly pinned!

2. Parkinson MD could have been in the finals!

3. Evansville semi-state is the deepest! 

4. Eldred is quietly good!

5. Rioux and Lowery going to be roommates was awesome to hear!

6.126 was absolutely stacked!

7. It was cool to see the 132's Mendez, Koontz, Heath, and someone else all walk with their arms around each other.

8. Great sportsmanship in the finals

9. Willman is a tiny 220.. Crider is friggin tall 220! 

16 minutes ago, navy80 said:

1. I never thought I'd see Mendez on his back and nearly pinned!

2. Parkinson MD could have been in the finals!

3. Evansville semi-state is the deepest! 

4. Eldred is quietly good!

5. Rioux and Lowery going to be roommates was awesome to hear!

6.126 was absolutely stacked!

7. It was cool to see the 132's Mendez, Koontz, Heath, and someone else all walk with their arms around each other.

8. Great sportsmanship in the finals

9. Willman is a tiny 220.. Crider is friggin tall 220! 

What is your definition of deep?

Did anyone else think there was a lack of getting the crowd involved? Announcer wasnt as vocal as has been in the past few years. Music didnt play through half of the finals introductions. Indiana Introductions is what made it great to watch. It just seemed a lot less organized and spectacular as it has been in the past. We have been spoiled with a great number of 3 n 4 x state Champs recently that may have also taken a toll on just how hard to win just 1 really is

1. How awesome those Covers on IHSAA programs looked . Hope everyone picked one up . 

2. Silas Allred is a Bad Man  ! 

3. #TheCounty adds another Champion with my Nephew Logan Miller winning his 1st. That’s (13) in the last 9 years . 

4. Joe Walker said he’s going the hard way through to win a Championship. Why not ? are you not entertained russell crowe GIF

5. Did Tonte really have a peacock hat ? Lil’ kid sitting next to me said, why does he a bird on his head . 

5 minutes ago, TeamGarcia said:

1. How awesome those Covers on IHSAA programs looked . Hope everyone picked one up . 

2. Silas Allred is a Bad Man  ! 

3. #TheCounty adds another Champion with my Nephew Logan Miller winning his 1st. That’s (13) in the last 9 years . 

4. Joe Walker said he’s going the hard way through to win a Championship. Why not ? are you not entertained russell crowe GIF

5. Did Tonte really have a peacock hat ? Lil’ kid sitting next to me said, why does he a bird on his head . 

I am pretty sure those were FALCON feathers in his hat!!!

Edited by V and M's Dad

1. Calhoun got robbed.

2. Allred has a great style for college

3. Koontz is a lot better than I realized

4. it is not gonna be near as exciting when Whitehead leaves

5. best kids I never heard of was Solomey and Tyler Jones

6.Tyler Jones will be top 4 in the next 2 years

7. Boarman is way to talented to stall as much as he did after he got leads. this is a compliment

8. I really wanna see Cottey and Seltzer or/and Boarman and Mendez next year.

3 minutes ago, Wrestling4EVER said:

1. Calhoun got robbed.

2. Allred has a great style for college

3. Koontz is a lot better than I realized

4. it is not gonna be near as exciting when Whitehead leaves

5. best kids I never heard of was Solomey and Tyler Jones

6.Tyler Jones will be top 4 in the next 2 years

7. Boarman is way to talented to stall as much as he did after he got leads. this is a compliment

8. I really wanna see Cottey and Seltzer or/and Boarman and Mendez next year.

Seltzer crushes Cottey and Mendez crushes Boarman...

1 minute ago, Wrestlingaddict101 said:

Seltzer crushes Cottey and Mendez crushes Boarman...

I don't agree with Seltzer crushing Cottey. I think Cottey on top of Zeke could cause some problems. I could be wrong but its still gonna be the best match possible for him. Mendez likely crushes Boarman but hopefully Boarman improves a lot and has a better gas tank to give him some struggle, lol

1. Hollendonner upsetting Noehre then upsetting Levitz to make the finals. Someone get him a scholarship already and iron out the few kinks in his neutral game that Dickens exploited. 

2. Bettich getting up from an illegal slam that could have given CP the team title over Cathedral had he stayed down. The Western lady next to me blurted out “that kid is feisty” and “give Bettich the Mental Attitude Award.” I heard that award is decided bf finals start though. If so, that should change bc finals performances and conduct should be considered. 

3. Previously undefeated Logan Boe doing a backflip after taking 3rd. 1st place isn’t everything.  

4. Kervin publicly coughing up the secret for the best way to stall:  Keep them on their back, and the ref won’t call a stale mate. 🤣

Edited by tonyzirkle

5 hours ago, tonyzirkle said:

1. Hollendonner upsetting Noehre then upsetting Levitz to make the finals. Someone get him a scholarship already and iron out the few kinks in his neutral game that Dickens exploited. 

Hollendonner had the best tournament run. I don't think ANYONE on this board gave him a chance. Kid looked ripped as well. Two huge wins to get under the lights. Impressive.

39 minutes ago, graham said:

It was interesting that Bankers Life security made TSA agents look like waitstaff at TGI Fridays. 

No kidding! They don't play. The security lady in our isle took her job very serious. 

7 hours ago, Wrestling4EVER said:

I don't agree with Seltzer crushing Cottey. I think Cottey on top of Zeke could cause some problems. I could be wrong but its still gonna be the best match possible for him. Mendez likely crushes Boarman but hopefully Boarman improves a lot and has a better gas tank to give him some struggle, lol

I disagree strongly.

8 hours ago, Silence Dogood said:

I was worried that Parsons was going to put his coach in the hospital when he leapt into his arms. Definitely thought he was going to fall backwards onto the concrete. 

Watching on TV you couldn't see which coach it was until after the jump. I thought oh heck, someone is going to get killed.

13 minutes ago, gsmith58 said:

Watching on TV you couldn't see which coach it was until after the jump. I thought oh heck, someone is going to get killed.

Even when I knew who was going to catch him, I feared for his life. Honestly thought he would fall backwards, stumble on the awkward transition from mat to basketball court to concrete, and then hit his head. 

Speaking of, why put the basketball court down? It makes for such a potentially dangerous transition when wrestlers go off the mat. Seems like they could just put the mats directly on the concrete and put in some extra mats around the edges for safety. 

1) Walker coming back from last week - one tough nut

2) The dogs will be a force to be reckoned with for a while - what a coaching staff

3) Crider has to be the toughest basketball player on a wrestling mat

4) The 170 finals match 

5) Two days and no shaved ice for da rat 

1. No matter who we think is going to win the team title, cathedral will be right there to win another.

2. I bet Mendez and he lost the bet, so now he has to wear a shirt of my choice around a wrestling tourney this year 😊

3. Silas is freaking awesome. All around great kid, can’t wait to see him go do great things at the next level.

4. Joe Walker is a freak of nature going through the brutal part of the bracket and winning state. Hats off to the kid and hopefully the injury isn’t as serious as we all think!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.