Jump to content

Semi State Most Champs


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, 1gold said:

It needs to be realigned.. This is ridiculous.

 

Not sure that is going to fix much either. Like I said earlier, I try to keep up with teams in a 20 county area. In wrestling that means teams in 3 of the 4 semi states. There are 2 to 3 counties I don't follow in the main semi state area of Ft Wayne not included (Howard, Miami, and Cass). East Chicago teams in that 20 county area (Wawasee, Warsaw, & Tippy Valley) didn't have any finalists. The Ft Wayne semi state had 3 runner ups in that area. New Castle had the lone champ with Allred. 4 of 28 finalists. Evansville SS and Indy and surrounding area schools dominated along with Crown Point. I think it all can be contributed to the population shift from that area to the Indy metro and suburbs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Indy or Evansville sans Mater Dei from my memory but luckily we have some data we can prove it with possibly soon. 

I don’t recall Indy being a semi-State in the mid 90’s so I assume you mean whatever semi-State Indy was in.  I do remember Marion County being very strong in the mid 90’s, what with the 2 Lawrence schools, Warren Central, Beech Grove, Decatur Central, Perry Meridian, Cathedral all producing major talent then.

 

That said, maybe memory isn’t as good as it could be, so it would be interesting to see any comparison data.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, piscis1956 said:

I don’t recall Indy being a semi-State in the mid 90’s so I assume you mean whatever semi-State Indy was in.  I do remember Marion County being very strong in the mid 90’s, what with the 2 Lawrence schools, Warren Central, Beech Grove, Decatur Central, Perry Meridian, Cathedral all producing major talent then.

 

That said, maybe memory isn’t as good as it could be, so it would be interesting to see any comparison data.

I have the data, just will need to compile it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Used to be a matter of growth in the whole area based on trying to keep up with a core school who has developed talent from a youth age over several years.  In recent years if you have access to an academy within driving distance or if your have a big name coach move in with open enrollment available it sure helps your area improve quicker.  We are in different time.  

Edited by MattM
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MattM said:

In recent years if you have an academy nearby or if your have a big name coach move in with open enrollment available it sure helps your area improve the last several years. 

I think you may have meant “and” rather than “or”.

😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, piscis1956 said:

I think you may have meant “and” rather than “or”.

😉

I’d say OR.   Though AND would likely equal more success at a team state level.  On the OR side: I’m sure some of these schools have decent coaches who are good guys which deserve credit for the hours they put into the teams.  Not taking anything away from them for keeping thing going during the season and doing their part.  But let’s face it the academy development in the off season is helping a few is their studs improve beyond the choices they would have in their schools practice room.  There is a reason some of these random schools are showing up at Semi-State and State more regularly with a few studs when previously they barely had anyone win round 1 of SS.  It’s good for the schools that they can add more parody to the sport without us having to over class everything, but the development is increased in part due to access they have to a quality academy.  On the other side sure the  open enrollment, especially in populated areas, lets some talent pool together with the bigger name coach of the area too. We’ve seen some schools rise to higher success in the last 10 years from this.  But on the other end it seems some kids still want to rep their home school, and the access to these academies help the get added partners if their rooms not providing one.  Like I said it’s a different time.  

Edited by MattM
Link to post
Share on other sites

I spend most week nights at a couple of academies. I can say this without doubt, the State Finals are loaded with those kids. It would be interesting to know what percentage of the kids at the State Finals have attended an academy at least three years.

 

I would "guess" it's at least 60% (and probably higher). Add in the the higher level programs that run the equivalent in their own rooms (and may augment with the academies) and so you have New Castle (CIA, Cobra, Contenders), Evansville (Cobra, Contenders, Mauer/Coughlin), and East Chicago (Region). I don't believe Ft. Wayne has the equivalent locally (although they certainly have some CIA and perhaps Region kids).

 

Years ago at the youth level I recognized there were four type of kids: 1) beginner, 2) ISWA novice, 3) ISWA experienced, and 4) Academy. You can see before they even wrestle.

 

 

Edited by gsmith58
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, gsmith58 said:

I spend most week nights at a couple of academies. I can say this without doubt, the State Finals are loaded with those kids. It would be interesting to know what percentage of the kids at the State Finals have attended an academy at least three years.

 

I would "guess" it's at least 60% (and probably higher). Add in the the higher level programs that run the equivalent in their own rooms (and may augment with the academies) and so you have New Castle (CIA, Cobra, Contenders), Evansville (Cobra, Contenders, Mauer/Coughlin), and East Chicago (Region). I don't believe Ft. Wayne has the equivalent locally (although they certainly have some CIA and perhaps Region kids).

 

Years ago at the youth level I recognized there were four type of kids: 1) beginner, 2) ISWA novice, 3) ISWA experienced, and 4) Academy. You can see before they even wrestle.

 

 

Wonder what the numbers are on large school make up vs small school make up in the semi states? Is it that Ft Wayne just has smaller schools making it up? If so then it is the philosophy of those schools fielding athletic teams to a small extent. I personally think that is another reason that coincides with not having academies. The struggle seems to be more than just in wrestling. It seems to be in most boys and girls sports. A lot less state championships in team sports in this area than years past as well. Great example is girls basketball where Luers would bring home trophies almost every year. Outside of the two Central Noble wins over Winchester (two teams in the 20 county area) it's been pretty low. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, casualwrestlingfan said:

Is it that Ft Wayne just has smaller schools making it up? If so then it is the philosophy of those schools fielding athletic teams to a small extent. I personally think that is another reason that coincides with not having academies.

 

I think that's probably spot on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Champ98 said:

Frankfort sectional feeding into Ft. Wayne would improve it with the likes of teams in the indy area.... Carmel,HSE,Fishers,Westfield,Zionsville 

Zionsville doesn’t go through Frankfort anymore, but I do not necessarily dislike the idea. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gsmith58 said:

I spend most week nights at a couple of academies. I can say this without doubt, the State Finals are loaded with those kids. It would be interesting to know what percentage of the kids at the State Finals have attended an academy at least three years.

 

I would "guess" it's at least 60% (and probably higher). Add in the the higher level programs that run the equivalent in their own rooms (and may augment with the academies) and so you have New Castle (CIA, Cobra, Contenders), Evansville (Cobra, Contenders, Mauer/Coughlin), and East Chicago (Region). I don't believe Ft. Wayne has the equivalent locally (although they certainly have some CIA and perhaps Region kids).

 

Years ago at the youth level I recognized there were four type of kids: 1) beginner, 2) ISWA novice, 3) ISWA experienced, and 4) Academy. You can see before they even wrestle.

 

 

I would have to agree and say in most (not all) cases the kids that go to an academy have an advantage. The right academy/program can really push a kid over the top. I’ve known kids personally who are strong, agile, decent wrestlers who put together nice seasons, maybe get out of sectionals who then attend an academy and that pushes them to state qualifier/placer status 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.