State Seeding

pirate

I know this is not a new conversation, but... 

How do other state tournaments deal with bracket creation? 

It seems to me that there should be some sort of seeding for, at the very least, the state tournament. I appreciate the 4v1 3v2 set up for the round of 16 and don’t think that a full seeding would be practical or necessary for a high school state tournament. But I think it would make our state finals even more spectacular to at least have the 1’s seeded so that we could optimally have the “best” finals matches between the “better” two wrestlers under the lights and on tv, etc. This seems like a happy middle point between common sense and the IHSAA’s “The best wrestler will win regardless “ logic. 

9 minutes ago, pirate said:

It seems to me that there should be some sort of seeding for, at the very least, the state tournament. I appreciate the 4v1 3v2 set up for the round of 16 and don’t think that a full seeding would be practical or necessary for a high school state tournament. But I think it would make our state finals even more spectacular to at least have the 1’s seeded so that we could optimally have the “best” finals matches between the “better” two wrestlers under the lights and on tv, etc. This seems like a happy middle point between common sense and the IHSAA’s “The best wrestler will win regardless “ logic. 

What would your seeding criteria be?

28 minutes ago, takemtothemat said:

What would your seeding criteria be?

I imagine the usual standards would be fine... Head to Head, Common Opponents, Previous Placement, Winning %, etc. (However, being at this level, winning % might be splitting hairs) Nevertheless, it would give an actual rationale to the formation of the bracket other than random. I just have noticed a few instances of semifinalists that now are going for 3rd/4th this year with wins over guys in the finals. 

Edited by pirate

4 hours ago, pirate said:

I imagine the usual standards would be fine... Head to Head, Common Opponents, Previous Placement, Winning %, etc. (However, being at this level, winning % might be splitting hairs) Nevertheless, it would give an actual rationale to the formation of the bracket other than random. I just have noticed a few instances of semifinalists that now are going for 3rd/4th this year with wins over guys in the finals. 

Previous placement maybe used more than anything. Be one hell of a seating meeting to attend. 

Keep in mind if you even seed just the SS champs that it still may shifts some 2nd-4th place matchups to keep the pattern of how you meet up in the semi-finals. 

Edited by MattM

When I competed, I just wanted to be a state champion. I didn’t care who got in my way. 

The difference between getting 3rd or getting runner-up wouldn’t have mattered to me. I wanted to win. 

I think our tournament is pure and adds an exciting element with the random draws, Friday night, quarters, etc...

I don’t think Indiana should change a thing.

Edited by DrunkJoeNamath
Autocorrect or fat fingers I suppose

2 hours ago, DrunkJoeNamath said:

When I competed, I just wanted to be a state champion. I didn’t care who got in my way. 

The difference between getting 3rd or getting runner-up wouldn’t have mattered to me. I wanted to win. 

I think our tournament is pure and adds an exciting element with the random draws, Friday night, quarters, etc...

I don’t think Indiana should change a thing.

Thanks for the input Lombardi, I suppose...

9 hours ago, pirate said:

Not exactly sure how other states “seed”, but at least all the other states (minus Mississippi due to no state tournament) have wrestlebacks.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.