THE BEST SEATS AT STATE

Wrestlingfan937

Saving seats is getting out of hand. Many parents and grandparents just want to see their son wrestle.  I ran into a mother last night that was chased from her seats cause she dared try to sit near the mat where her son was going to wrestle and another team’s fans had “reserved” three complete sections on level 2. She was very upset - this is out of control it shouldn’t be like that

3 minutes ago, base said:

Saving seats is getting out of hand. Many parents and grandparents just want to see their son wrestle.  I ran into a mother last night that was chased from her seats cause she dared try to sit near the mat where her son was going to wrestle and another team’s fans had “reserved” three complete sections on level 2. She was very upset - this is out of control it shouldn’t be like that

Let me guess they had ppls coats draped over seats...Stuff sitting on seats and D-Bo ass parents thugging on ppl? I see it every year I go and it really pissses me off.. first come first served not first come save 50 seats with your Garments and purses.

1 hour ago, Silence Dogood said:

I have probably said 10x already this weekend "why don't they just sell reserved seats?"

Just like anything else that the IHSAA group has control of.  Like possibly using wrestle backs, some sort of seeding use. You know things that may make the whole tournament a little better. Afew tweaks Here and there on an experimental basis Maybe. I would say selling reserved seat falls into that category.  Ain’t goin to happen on their watch. 

28 minutes ago, Disco said:

Just like anything else that the IHSAA group has control of.  Like possibly using wrestle backs, some sort of seeding use. You know things that may make the whole tournament a little better. Afew tweaks Here and there on an experimental basis Maybe. I would say selling reserved seat falls into that category.  Ain’t goin to happen on their watch. 

You have show them how much more $ they'd make. $ talks to IHSAA not common sense.

It's very annoying, particularly when they start blocking aisles and putting up tape. I certainly don't mind folks saving a couple of seats for friends, but it's currently ridiculous. It shouldn't be that hard to find a solution. 

And, I know from experience getting in the line first and waiting for hours on end is no guarantee. Get there first, wait in line patiently while others push in and around and past you, hustle to a section and then have someone quip "this section is already taken." Not that I listen...but it does raise my temperature a bit.

1 hour ago, MattM said:

4 seats max blocked of per person standing there (including them). They stood in like and waited early so that number is acceptable.  Any more than that is just ridiculous.   

I stood in line more than 2 hours to be in front on line.  Then I hurried in only to find 3 coaches of one school, who obviously had gotten access without standing in line, saving a block of 50 seats.  When I told them they weren’t allowed to save that many, they told me that’s what they were doing and I couldn’t stop them.  Then as soon as their 2 wrestlers got promptly beat Friday, almost all of their “fans” immediately got up and left.

7 hours ago, piscis1956 said:

I stood in line more than 2 hours ...who obviously had gotten access without standing in line, saving a block of 50 seats.  

Yep. And that's how it happens. I guess I don't necessarily blame them; they are playing within the rules allowed. This should be taken care of by the organization. On the surface, it does not appear it should be that difficult to sort out.

Why can't the BL staff prevent it? Why can't schools have a designated number of seats? Why can't there be pricing differentials?

Edited by gsmith58

I’d like to see each school get 5 or 6 seats reserved per wrestler at state. Reserve and give them the good seats. That takes care of family and a few friends. The rest of the stadium is general seating. 2 consecutive open seats are not allowed. If you want to sit together you have 2 options - show up together or head up to the 3rd level. Ushers just enforce the one open seat rule

1 hour ago, base said:

I’d like to see each school get 5 or 6 seats reserved per wrestler at state. Reserve and give them the good seats. That takes care of family and a few friends. The rest of the stadium is general seating. 2 consecutive open seats are not allowed. If you want to sit together you have 2 options - show up together or head up to the 3rd level. Ushers just enforce the one open seat rule

The usher point is key. Most of them just awkwardly stare at you while trying to find a seat. Lisa from section 16 was awesome! Actively finding open seats for people and if a group tried to say open seats were being saved, she would ask if the people were on site. If the answer was no, she'd tell the group to let the people who were there sit there.

In the ushers defense they are not getting special tactical training ahead of state.  Most event there have assigned seats or You will only a few seats saved per group in a general admission setting.  So wrestling State is a little different than like 90%+ of the events they usually work at.   I know some years usher have got some instructions on how to handle this, but they really don’t have the ability to do enough without the IHSAA and venue stepping in better.  

How about 7 fans saving an entire section of seats. Then when you tell them that there’s no seat saving and sit, 3 guys approach you, stand around and one promptly sits next to you at the end of the aisle so your fiancé and child can’t sit down. Some words were had with those yahoos. You never want it to turn to that, but trying to intimidate a small family who stood in line to get decent seats...trash move. 

Getting in and finding a seat is a whole problem within its own.  They have 3000 people herded in there like cattle preventing them from going to find a seat. Another 3 to 5000 people standing on the opposite side of security waiting for them to release the 1st group so they can get through security. You surely don't wanna be in that 1st group with a child Or elderly because the child will just get Trampled.  Friday when they released everybody to get through the 1st gate to only get stopped by ticket processing there was about a 5 year old boy who was ran over By 3 other people who wasn't even paying attention and not 1 of them stopped.  It was a sick and sad situation.

The idea of general seating is completely wrong for an event of this magnitude. It is extremely hard or near impossible for a family to find consecutive seats to sit to watch their Son or teammates.  The idea of blocking off complete sections is wrong . The IHSAA/BLF needs to fix that issue. The IHSAA/BLF has tickets available on presale they should be able to sell those tickets as reserved seating and anything not sold could be general seating. This would stop the headache of finding a seat for a group of 5 people.  If they sold reserved seating I/ we wouldnt have to argue with people that those 2 seat were for my wife and son who left to go through the bathroom. This would also stop some of the pushing and running to find seating.

We have one of the greatest events in the country and yet the Process to get in and find a seat is a complete joke.

Maybe give each school an allotted amount of tickets per section based on the number of wrestlers sent, maybe a lottery system on where they'll be each year then let the schools handle how many they need, then the die hard fans could have a couple of sections too?? Probably not a perfect idea but it's a start.

11 hours ago, RegionHustle said:

How about 7 fans saving an entire section of seats. Then when you tell them that there’s no seat saving and sit, 3 guys approach you, stand around and one promptly sits next to you at the end of the aisle so your fiancé and child can’t sit down. Some words were had with those yahoos. You never want it to turn to that, but trying to intimidate a small family who stood in line to get decent seats...trash move. 

And this is why it's difficult to just sit down and ignore them. I have seen groups harass people. A few years ago I had a guy physically block me from entering a nearly completely open section. We had words, but rather than escalating the situation, with kids present, I choose to keep looking. For the next few years I decided to get there first (at 6:00A). And, guess what, it was still difficult getting a good seats. As I said previously, I have no problem with folks saving a few seats, but whole sections???

This is not the way you want to your premier event run.

To add to this:

At an assigned sporting event if you have an usher move someone due to them sitting in your seat you virtually never see that person again.   However, at a group general admission event such as this even if you get an usher to have the group comply you are still surrounded by that group the whole rest of the event.  And good luck getting up to use the concession/restroom and expecting your seat back without further hassle.  I’m not sure what the answer is here, but the saving of multiple rows for people who aren’t even direct family member of t he finalists and then trying to intimidate someone looking to take just couple of those seat is uncalled for.

On 2/21/2020 at 2:57 PM, Wrestlingfan937 said:

Where are they at? What is your personal trick to getting the best spot possible? And who is ready to 

Am I the only one thinking that the best seats are in the corners of the mats Friday and Saturday? Best way to get them is by having kids place top 4 at Semi-State and then winning on Friday night.

In all seriousness, when our kids are not competing, I enjoy sitting in the second level, sections 103-105, along the glass. Getting and saving seats is stressful. Everyone wants good seats. I don't mind saving seats, but if you are trying to save an entire section and you only have a handful people doing so, forget about it.  Get everyone on the same page, have them show up, and go to work.  Trying to save seats for people that want to show up in a couple hours after the start of each round because they are at the mall or eating lunch....forget about it.  No sense in that. Show up early and enjoy the best state finals event Indiana offers.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.