Number 1 not making it to state

Wrestlingfan937

was Reading a post earlier about the Indiana state series and that their should be wrestle backs. Seen another post about Indiana mat ranking, setting a PR for most ranked kids going to state using their ranking system. 

So I decided to combine both of these topics together with a article posted By Y2CJ41 called “

Toe to Joe with IHSAA Assistant Commissioner Bobby Cox”

In the article the question about wrestle backs appears. Wrestlebacks: Why do you think the coaches have been pushing so hard for them and what is preventing them from being passed? 
coaches feel that in some situations, a wrestler could get caught in a move during a bout and lose when in their mind the losing wrestler was really the best wrestler and should have the opportunity to "wrestle back" to a better position. The IHSAA individual tournament series is about determining a state champion in 14 weight classes. Adding wrestlebacks is nothing more than adding matches to an already long program to determine something that is already being determined. When the individual tournament concludes at Conseco on Saturday night, I believe we have accomplished our goal in identifying the best wrestler in 14 weight classes. 

SO MY QUESTION IS HAS A #1 Ever not make it to state due to a loss in the opening round or ticket round at semi state?

8 minutes ago, Wrestlingfan937 said:

was Reading a post earlier about the Indiana state series and that their should be wrestle backs. Seen another post about Indiana mat ranking, setting a PR for most ranked kids going to state using their ranking system. 

So I decided to combine both of these topics together with a article posted By Y2CJ41 called “

In the article the question about wrestle backs appears. Wrestlebacks: Why do you think the coaches have been pushing so hard for them and what is preventing them from being passed? 
coaches feel that in some situations, a wrestler could get caught in a move during a bout and lose when in their mind the losing wrestler was really the best wrestler and should have the opportunity to "wrestle back" to a better position. The IHSAA individual tournament series is about determining a state champion in 14 weight classes. Adding wrestlebacks is nothing more than adding matches to an already long program to determine something that is already being determined. When the individual tournament concludes at Conseco on Saturday night, I believe we have accomplished our goal in identifying the best wrestler in 14 weight classes. 

SO MY QUESTION IS HAS A #1 Ever not make it to state due to a loss in the opening round or ticket round at semi state?

Aaron Wilson?

1 hour ago, Wrestlingfan937 said:

I think the last one was 2016 Evss 106 #1 soon to be 2x State Champion Cayden Rooks freshman year . Could be wrong on the last one . 
If there was wrestle backs he would of placed very high that year at State . 

Birge was number 1 at 119 losing first round regional to Andrew Bradbury. At 145 Jankowski and Rosbottom was both ranked 1 when they squared off in semistate ticket round.They kept both guys ranked 1 all year I believe. My ticket round match was 2 Tanner Yates. This was all in 1999

Edited by MitchRobb

9 hours ago, MitchRobb said:

Birge was number 1 at 119 losing first round regional to Andrew Bradbury. At 145 Jankowski and Rosbottom was both ranked 1 when they squared off in semistate ticket round.They kept both guys ranked 1 all year I believe. My ticket round match was 2 Tanner Yates. This was all in 1999

that was a crazy year. my freshman year I was ranked 9th against guy ranked first in ticket round. my sophomore year I was ranked 3rd against a guy ranked 13 in ticket round my junior year I was ranked 4th against guy ranked 2nd in ticket round. my senior year I was ranked 4th against guy ranked first in ticket round, id love to remember Hunters draws. I know he was ranked 1 and had joey harris 1 year. I cant remember his other matches for anything at semi state ticket round. I don't think he had really tough draws the other years. I believe one year he had tanner yates again in ticket round. maybe not, cant find it anywhere. wish someone could help me find them results from semi state.

Any Warren Central history buffs? I always heard Paul Robinson knocked out the #1 kid both years at SS to go on to lose Friday night,  or maybe he knocked out the #1 kid his junior year and he was ranked #1 his senior year? Not sure but I remember hearing that a few years back. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.