Best High School for Producing D1 Wrestlers

matts

2 hours ago, munges said:

The exception not the rule argument is interesting. Any wrestler going from High School to D1 is the exception not the rule😁

They are the exception among HS wrestlers, but I was talking the exception among successful D1 college wrestlers.

The vast majority of D1 AA's are kids who went straight from HS into a D1 program. Wrestlers who begin there college careers at the D2 level or lower then transfer to D1 & are successful at that level are pretty rare.

On 2/18/2020 at 6:34 PM, TeamGarcia said:

D1 competition is night & day compared to D2 & D3 . Especially in the Big Ten . 

There I said it ! 

Crucify me now honor executions GIF

There is an even bigger difference in the big ten programs.  The bottom teams are not competitive with the top teams.

8 hours ago, hook and half said:

There is an even bigger difference in the big ten programs.  The bottom teams are not competitive with the top teams.

It’s like that in all sports in the Conference. Top teams feed on the bottom teams . It is what it is 

Wheeler has 

Jose diaz jr  class of 2018- Franklin & Marshall D1

Isaiah Mohmed class 2019 - Wisconsin whitewater D3
Trey buhler class 2018- university of Indianapolis D2
Clay Turpin class of 2016- Indiana tech university NAIA

Giovanni Diaz class of 2020- Franklin and Marshall D1

Just remember wheeler has about 530 students enrolled and we only had a wrestling program for the last 7 years

In the last 10 years at Jeffersonville High School, we've had two D1, four D2 (two will be D1), 9 NAIA, one D3, and 6 JUCO. Also the team manager for Ohio State is a Jeff Wrestling alum and we will probably have another D2 signing here in a few weeks

2009 – Caleb Browner – Campbellsville NAIA

2010 – Ryan Dewitt – Waldorf College NAIA

2011 – Alonzo Shepherd – Indiana University D1 (four year starter)

2012 – Brent Browner – Indiana Tech NAIA

2012 – Elijah Curtley – Indiana Tech NAIA

2013 – Jasi Coureur – West Virginia Tech University NAIA

2013 – Nick Stewart – Lindenwood Belleville University – Illinois NAIA

2014 – Gavan Jolley-Little – Indiana University D1

2014 – Tavion Lucas – Marian Military Institute JUCO

2015 – Jasi Couereur – St. Catherine NAIA

2016 – Darian Newbolt – Manchester JUCO

2017 – Josh McCorkle – Bellarmine University D2 (soon to be D1)

2017 – Vaughn Lloyd – Manchester D3

2017 – Josh Cooper – Ancilla JUCO

2017 – Shawn Williams – Ancilla JUCO

2017 – Carson Somerville – Ohio State University (team manager)

2018 – Luke Smith – Indiana Tech NAIA

2018 – Josh Craig – Bellarmine University D2 (soon to be D1)

2018 – Josiah Freeman – University of Indianapolis D2

2018 – Carlos Molina – Lassen Junior College JUCO

2018 – Jacob Laughlin – Lassen Junior College JUCO

2019 – Isaiah Fultcher – Tiffin College D2

2019 – Carlos Santos, Indiana Tech NAIA

Edited by patriotfan

On 2/18/2020 at 12:06 PM, AlaskanMountie said:

If you look at EMD's success at the high school level dating back to the 90's until now, it still does not translate well at the college level. They've had numerous state champs and placers that did not make any noise at the next level. Lee and Coughlin are the exception, not the rule. Perry and Cathedral are in the same boat. I'm not knocking these programs, just highlighting the difficulty of having success at the next level, especially D1. 

If you were in the MD wrestling room in the 80's and 90's you would understand most Wildcats had the physical talent to compete at the D1 level but not the intellectual talent to go to a D1 school.  None of us became NASA scientist.

5 hours ago, Jack Jones said:

I legit spit my drink.

I wasn’t in the room but have a lot of buddies who were. I’d say the lack of D1’s stemmed from a lot of them being country boys who joined the family business. They had zero aspirations of college but would’ve excelled at wrestling if they chose that path.

13 hours ago, PhillyFanMD said:

If you were in the MD wrestling room in the 80's and 90's you would understand most Wildcats had the physical talent to compete at the D1 level but not the intellectual talent to go to a D1 school.  None of us became NASA scientist.

Yes!!! Perfect post from this dude! Going hard after his own teams fan base and alumni. Now he has insulted or pissed off 100 percent of the Indiana wrestling community. Dude is a savage. 

On 2/20/2020 at 11:19 PM, Jayruss said:

I wasn’t in the room but have a lot of buddies who were. I’d say the lack of D1’s stemmed from a lot of them being country boys who joined the family business. They had zero aspirations of college but would’ve excelled at wrestling if they chose that path.

Bingo!

MD wrestlers usually don't choose the D2 or Juco pathe either.  It's Big Ten or Bust

Edited by PhillyFanMD

I wouldn't say they weren't college material, some went to college they just didn't wrestle there, they received a heck of an education at MD, getting a full ride to college on a wrestling scholarship isn't easy. Back then, MD wasn't on the national map for wrestling, they were still the big fish in the little pond. On that note Gabe Zercklebach, Chip Elderkin, Dave Nosko all went to college on wrestling scholarships. As far as D-I success Chip and Dave were no slouches, Chip went to IU I can't remember where Dave went and Gabe went to Purdue. While in college Gabe beat Lance Ellis and may have gone on to AA status but I'm not certain on that point. All of these are just the ones I remember from that era I've not done any research on this at all.

Edited by Ahawkeye

4 hours ago, Ahawkeye said:

I wouldn't say they weren't college material, some went to college they just didn't wrestle there, they received a heck of an education at MD, getting a full ride to college on a wrestling scholarship isn't easy. Back then, MD wasn't on the national map for wrestling, they were still the big fish in the little pond. On that note Gabe Zercklebach, Chip Elderkin, Dave Nosko all went to college on wrestling scholarships. As far as D-I success Chip and Dave were no slouches, Chip went to IU I can't remember where Dave went and Gabe went to Purdue. While in college Gabe beat Lance Ellis and may have gone on to AA status but I'm not certain on that point. All of these are just the ones I remember from that era I've not done any research on this at all.

If....just IIIIIFFFFF there was a website.....

https://indianamat.com/index.php?/history/ncaa-all-americans/

Nick Lee x2
Matt Couglin
Nick Mayer(DII)

Those were the only NCAA All-Americans in Mater Dei history.

5 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

If....just IIIIIFFFFF there was a website.....

https://indianamat.com/index.php?/history/ncaa-all-americans/

Nick Lee x2
Matt Couglin
Nick Mayer(DII)

Those were the only NCAA All-Americans in Mater Dei history.

Agreed, after some time to look things up,Gabe finished 5th at the Big 10 championships, not a bad finish in my opinion though. None the less, those guys weren't all dragging their knuckles, there were D-I wrestlers in the room and plenty of future college students in there as well maybe not all college wrestler material but not the dumbest room in the state by far.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.