Unpopular Opinon...Pairings Show

UncleJimmy

I know I'll get pelted with empties from any poster that starts with "SW" and I respect Mr. Goebel (sic) immensely, but maybe it's time to put a third guy on the show? And might I recommend @ontherise219 for that position? Now hear me out....

How many times last night did he mention "I'm not familiar with that wrestler..." or "IndianaMat ranks him...". Well, the actual ranker does some media stuff for the actual sight that does the rankings oft quoted, and since he does the rankings pretty well it appears, he does seem to know a bit about most/all the wrestlers and not just the ones at the E'ville SS. Again, nothing personal, and as far as the actual call of the finals matches goes I think Mr. Goebel is great and knows his stuff and adds insight, but for a parings show I'd just like to hear a bit more insight/matchups etc and think OTR could provide that. Of course the hour and fifteen minute time frame might be tough but he wouldn't have @Y2CJ41 to throw him off topic. 

Like I said, unpopular opinion.. but outside of the ESS dudes there just didn't seem to be much insight or info put out there except "that should be a good quarter bracket". 

There...I said it.

I'll delete my acct now.

My issue is with the other dude (Greg Rakestraw). He fills in on some sports talk radio shows down here in Indy. Just don't enjoy listening to him. He just rambles. Clearly does not know a lot about wrestling. Plus.... he doesn't know the difference between Peanut Butter and Jelly and Ham sandwiches. Smh

9 minutes ago, Sutton047 said:

The amount of just flat out incorrect information was frustrating 

I would like to apologize as we have helped make it easy to know everything about Indiana wrestling. Maybe we should require Rakestraw to listen to Gorilla Radio.

1 hour ago, Y2CJ41 said:

I would like to apologize as we have helped make it easy to know everything about Indiana wrestling. Maybe we should require Rakestraw to listen to Gorilla Radio.

At the very least he would appreciate knowing where to eat in the Region because I know he travels a bunch doing radio!! 😁

Personally I like Mr. Rakestraw hosting the event but they definitely need to either (1) improve their knowledge or (2) add people who know the wrestlers background (youth - high school).

4 hours ago, UncleJimmy said:

I know I'll get pelted with empties from any poster that starts with "SW" and I respect Mr. Goebel (sic) immensely, but maybe it's time to put a third guy on the show? And might I recommend @ontherise219 for that position? Now hear me out....

How many times last night did he mention "I'm not familiar with that wrestler..." or "IndianaMat ranks him...". Well, the actual ranker does some media stuff for the actual sight that does the rankings oft quoted, and since he does the rankings pretty well it appears, he does seem to know a bit about most/all the wrestlers and not just the ones at the E'ville SS. Again, nothing personal, and as far as the actual call of the finals matches goes I think Mr. Goebel is great and knows his stuff and adds insight, but for a parings show I'd just like to hear a bit more insight/matchups etc and think OTR could provide that. Of course the hour and fifteen minute time frame might be tough but he wouldn't have @Y2CJ41 to throw him off topic. 

Like I said, unpopular opinion.. but outside of the ESS dudes there just didn't seem to be much insight or info put out there except "that should be a good quarter bracket". 

There...I said it.

I'll delete my acct now.

Thanks @UncleJimmy that would be awesome! Like I am sure y2 would tell you the Ihsaa would need a bigger time slot for all of the different directions the show would go and the half hour of fanboying I would be doing with coach Goebel.

I love that the show uses the rankings as a base I think it would be really cool if they had the rank on the bracket so everyone can see where the ranked matches up are and i think it would help greg.
Overall I love the show and think it is an amazing idea! I know some programs were doing watch shows for the release which is awesome too. 

I’ll try to keep my Sunday after semi state open in case they call. 

thanks guys I appreciate all of you! Also o believe we are doing half the bracket tonight on gorilla 🦍 radio 

Yo, Uncle Jimmy, my poster name begins with SW and I have something to say about you're crazy opinion!

I have no qualms with anything you said.  Coach Goebel is/was an awesome coach!  But he is not a TV personality.  It's not his strength.  I think he's solid, but not great in that role. I think a 3rd person would be great.  I can't recall exactly how the State Finals broadcast was several years ago, but I think it got better with the addition of Blake Maurer.  Adding Blake,Mike or another personality that closely follows wrestling would spice things up.  It's hard for anyone to know wrestling in depth in all four corners of the state and in between, but it's possible.  With Mike being more familiar with the Southern end, Mike could bring a nice balance.  

32 minutes ago, TripleB said:

Is there a need to know about any SS outside of Eville? 

Put the Iron Sheik in there "And uhhh yess this here Jabroni will be taking on the superior Eville SS wrestler"

#TheREALSS

"The Region will make you hum-bell!"

They should have 6 people on set for this production. Have to have Rakestraw & Goebel as the hosts to keep it on track and then put one rep from each SS on it. Have to have a Region rep for EC, The County rep for EV, someone to rep for NC, and someone from the #1 County to rep FW.

Kudos to the IHSAA for even producing this show. Do you remember the old days when you had to wait for days & know a coach or AD just to sneak a peak at the brackets each week?

I like Rakestraw in every sport he does. Is he a wrestling expert? No, but I challenge you to find any competent radio/tv host in the entire state who would be considered as a high school wrestling expert. As a comparison, the guy doing the Indiana SRN broadcast for the New Castle Semistate championship round was awful-- 1) he thought it was a blind draw for the state bracket & 2) he stated that the top 4 wrestlers did not technically qualify for state until they won in the preliminary round on Friday. WTF???!!!

11 minutes ago, slice60 said:

Kudos to the IHSAA for even producing this show. Do you remember the old days when you had to wait for days & know a coach or AD just to sneak a peak at the brackets each week?

I like Rakestraw in every sport he does. Is he a wrestling expert? No, but I challenge you to find any competent radio/tv host in the entire state who would be considered as a high school wrestling expert. As a comparison, the guy doing the Indiana SRN broadcast for the New Castle Semistate championship round was awful-- 1) he thought it was a blind draw for the state bracket & 2) he stated that the top 4 wrestlers did not technically qualify for state until they won in the preliminary round on Friday. WTF???!!!

I think Rakestraw is fine as a host/moderator.  As with some others, I think it would be better if Goebel and another person were added.  Not sure if the IHSAA would hesitate to add Joe or Mike due to their affiliation with IndianaMat, seeing it as turning into an ad.  Goebel referencing the rankings is one thing, but I could see their hesitation to taking it farther than that with IM.  I wouldn't have a problem with it, just trying to see if from another point of view.  If not one of those two, then who else would be a good addition?  

3 hours ago, SWINfan said:

I think Rakestraw is fine as a host/moderator.  As with some others, I think it would be better if Goebel and another person were added.  Not sure if the IHSAA would hesitate to add Joe or Mike due to their affiliation with IndianaMat, seeing it as turning into an ad.  Goebel referencing the rankings is one thing, but I could see their hesitation to taking it farther than that with IM.  I wouldn't have a problem with it, just trying to see if from another point of view.  If not one of those two, then who else would be a good addition?  

Maybe they let Joe and Mike do the announcing.  Instead of paying them, they let Indianamat advertise on the show.  IHSAA has advertisers.   Maybe add a Gorilla mascot commercial (sorry that was another post).  Something like some nice little legal Quid Pro Quo.  

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.