Officials

Near Fall

What is the purpose of having two officials on a mat if only one official can make a call ? There was a match at the New Haven semi state on mat 1 where a kid was obviously pinned and the official not calling the match pointed to the pin at the official that was calling the match but he was not in position to see it .By the time witch seems like at least 10 sec the official calling the match got in position the period had ended so why couldn’t the certified official not calling the match call the pin that he pointed out ? Please educate me

4 minutes ago, Near Fall said:

What is the purpose of having two officials on a mat if only one official can make a call ? There was a match at the New Haven semi state on mat 1 where a kid was obviously pinned and the official not calling the match pointed to the pin at the official that was calling the match but he was not in position to see it .By the time witch seems like at least 10 sec the official calling the match got in position the period had ended so why couldn’t the certified official not calling the match call the pin that he pointed out ? Please educate me

I totally agree. I dont believe I seen 1 single referee change his call after getting together with the other ref at semi state. I saw at least 5 times the ref could had changed the call. I umpire baseball and the number 1 issue i have with young umpires and even some guys that have been doing it a long time is because they have too much pride. They don't wanna change a call because of pride. I have a rule that I always ask my partner if he is at least 80% sure he is right and I am wrong and I'm not 100% sure my call was the right call then I change the call. I have no pride in changing it because at the end of the day I want the call to be right so the kids are not cheated. Changing a call does not show weakness or make you look like a rookie.it it actually shows strength and makes you earn respect. Some refs have got to start taking charge and telling the other ref that a call needs to be changed. Maybe even have a replay challenge at the semi state and state. Its just bigger in wrestling then it is in most sports to get the call right because a match is only 6 minutes not 4 quarters. 

9 minutes ago, Wrestling4EVER said:

I totally agree. I dont believe I seen 1 single referee change his call after getting together with the other ref at semi state. I saw at least 5 times the ref could had changed the call. I umpire baseball and the number 1 issue i have with young umpires and even some guys that have been doing it a long time is because they have too much pride. They don't wanna change a call because of pride. I have a rule that I always ask my partner if he is at least 80% sure he is right and I am wrong and I'm not 100% sure my call was the right call then I change the call. I have no pride in changing it because at the end of the day I want the call to be right so the kids are not cheated. Changing a call does not show weakness or make you look like a rookie.it it actually shows strength and makes you earn respect. Some refs have got to start taking charge and telling the other ref that a call needs to be changed. Maybe even have a replay challenge at the semi state and state. Its just bigger in wrestling then it is in most sports to get the call right because a match is only 6 minutes not 4 quarters. 

The 2nd official is not there to be a yes man . They should have pride in making the right call I mean when I build a house or a building for someone and do a great job I have pride at the end of the day that I did the best job possible. These officials get paid well a lot of them are older and out of shape when they can’t hustle to get in position anymore it’s time to think about doing something els on the weekends for extra cash just saying.

1 hour ago, Wrestling4EVER said:

Obviously, you're referring to specific instances at semi state.  Personally, I have went to the table with dual officials 4-6 times this year and I've had two of the calls overturned.  I think the second official can only make a call if they're SURE of the call.  As far as a pin goes..I feel like that's a different ball game.  It would seem odd if the match went on for another 30 seconds in a period...the coach goes up to the table...the second referee says "Yes, kid A was pinned."  That seems more like a misconduct, since that is kind of like questioning a stalling, caution, etc.  A takedown is different IMO because maybe official A was in a bad spot, but official B was in a better spot and could see that an opponents hands were on the mat, or confirm that he was behind the arm pits for a takedown.  Just my two cents.  

10 hours ago, Wrestling4EVER said:

I have a rule that I always ask my partner if he is at least 80% sure he is right and I am wrong and I'm not 100% sure my call was the right call then I change the call.

Sorry but I adamantly disagree. If the call is your responsibility then you should not change it unless you are unsure & your partner is 100% sure it was incorrect.

I cannot imagine changing a call unless my partner is 100% sure.

11 hours ago, Brey said:

This is probably why young people do not go into officiating. Well done!

Bryan Bailey

Now don’t get me wrong people make mistakes I will be the first to admit mine why does the coach have to go to the table in this instance shouldn’t the #2 official go to the table with the #1 official and say match is over he was pinned if he was 100% sure ?

11 hours ago, Brey said:

This is probably why young people do not go into officiating. Well done!

Bryan Bailey

Now don’t get me wrong people make mistakes I will be the first to admit mine why does the coach have to go to the table in this instance shouldn’t the #2 official go to the table with the #1 official and say match is over he was pinned if he was 100% sure ?

Actually, in a pinning situation, the second official should not be watching for a pin at all. His job is to watch the line if close to OB, or the top of the action to look for blood, illegal holds, eye gouging, choking, any penalties, and then let the #1 official know. 

The best officials leave egos out of it and worry about getting the call right. In the end, that's why there are two of them out there. 

I had a call overturned Saturday. After the match I thanked the #1 official, not for changing the call, but for being willing to listen to me first, then go and talk with the other official who had a better angle. That's how it should work.  Get the call right, no matter what. 

I worked the New Castle Semi-State.....Most of the coaches had good questions, which I probably changed 3 or 4 of my calls after consulting my assistant. We cant always see everything, so I love to have the extra set of eyes. Some officials dont want it unfortunately .

21 hours ago, Wrestling4EVER said:

I saw 3 times where the officials conferred and then changed the call. I do not think it happens enough, but it does happen. I was a trackwrestling scorer at new castle.

5 hours ago, robref said:

I worked the New Castle Semi-State.....Most of the coaches had good questions, which I probably changed 3 or 4 of my calls after consulting my assistant. We cant always see everything, so I love to have the extra set of eyes. Some officials dont want it unfortunately .

you were one of the situations I mentioned before. It happened on mat 3 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.