My first Indiana Post-Season Experience

SteveECWrestling

6 hours ago, Ahawkeye said:

But would renting venues such as The Ford Center for two days be a viable option in this situation? I like the idea I just don't know if it will all work out if your  talking about rental for another whole day. What do the other venues cost the IHSAA for semi-state?

I'd hate to lose The Ford Center as a very comfortable place to watch some really good wrestling but other than Seymour's gym who would host an event like this in the southernmost part of the state? Seymour wasn't exactly comfortable but it did serve a purpose.

The other good thing about The Ford Center is that we as wrestling fans don't have to worry about manning concession stands, that's a big load off of shoulders, as a grade school coach I have a hard time finding parents to take care of this when our turn comes up.

Not sure on Evansville's costs, but the Fort Wayne Coliseum costs $3,000/performance minimum or 15% of gross ticket sales.  

A quick google search said the Ford Center was around $10,000 for an University of Evansville basketball game or Icemen hockey game.

2 minutes ago, GrecoCoach said:

Here's what I remember the story being, which also explains how the IHSAA thinks...

The coaches' association proposed not scoring the first round (pigtails) of SECTIONALS because not all teams had that match, and some close Sectional team scores/champions were determined by who had the most pigtail matches.  The IHSAA took that and then decided that it should be consistent throughout the whole state series, so team scores don't start until the quarter finals at each stage.  And since nobody at the IHSAA understands wrestling, they cannot fathom why Semi State and State would be any different, even though their are full brackets for that first round.

That's a good explanation.  This makes sense the way you explained the way the IHSAA thinking  doesn't make sense.    Its over something silly like not scoring pigtails which is just one extremely small fraction of the state tournament.   I personally think its a mistake to not score the pigtails,  but that's another non-essential argument.

4 hours ago, GrecoCoach said:

Here's what I remember the story being, which also explains how the IHSAA thinks...

The coaches' association proposed not scoring the first round (pigtails) of SECTIONALS because not all teams had that match, and some close Sectional team scores/champions were determined by who had the most pigtail matches.  The IHSAA took that and then decided that it should be consistent throughout the whole state series, so team scores don't start until the quarter finals at each stage.  And since nobody at the IHSAA understands wrestling, they cannot fathom why Semi State and State would be any different, even though there are full brackets for that first round.

Here's the really crazy thing though... this seems to be in explicit contradiction to the information in the IHSAA Wrestling Winter Bulletin (https://ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/quick resources/Winter Bulletin.pdf)

From page 77 of 84, section VII:

Scoring

Individual and team scoring shall be decided according to Rule 9 in the current Wrestling Rules. Six places shall be awarded at the sectional. Team scoring in the sectional shall begin at the quarter‐finals level and not before. Only four places shall be awarded at the regional and semi‐state levels.  Team Scoring at the Regional will begin during the opening round.  Team scoring at the Semi‐State and State Meet will begin during the opening round with advancement points.

Who knows? Maybe this year they will begin scoring of advancement points in the first round. Does anyone have a connection to whoever is running the TrackWrestling for the state tournament?  They should know how the scoring will be setup

16 hours ago, Ahawkeye said:

I'd hate to lose The Ford Center as a very comfortable place to watch some really good wrestling but other than Seymour's gym who would host an event like this in the southernmost part of the state?

Seymour’s gyms fine after you get past the the crowded mess of the opening round.  The issue is they have a huge set of bleachers but a big section of the bottom set has to  be left in to accommodate the mats and tables.  That same crowdedness is the same with the other locations too, the south is just spoiled by the nice Ford Centers accommodations now.  

It not exactly southern most but I always thought if the Ford Center dropped SS then maybe Indiana State’s gym could work.  But, I’ve never seen it in person to know how the space would work.  IU’s gym would also work but that’s if the basketball people can deal with  giving it up. 

Edited by MattM

5 hours ago, base said:

Here's the really crazy thing though... this seems to be in explicit contradiction to the information in the IHSAA Wrestling Winter Bulletin (https://ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/quick resources/Winter Bulletin.pdf)

From page 77 of 84, section VII:

Who knows? Maybe this year they will begin scoring of advancement points in the first round. Does anyone have a connection to whoever is running the TrackWrestling for the state tournament?  They should know how the scoring will be setup

I thought they scored the first round at semi-state this year. That's the way it looked to me following Fort Wayne's scores on Saturday.  

9 hours ago, base said:

I do have an inside “Track” on who is running the tournament. And the rumor is all points are to be added this year from each round. And that is how the scoring is showing when looking as a viewer!

On 2/16/2020 at 12:47 PM, Wrestling Scholar said:

2. At some point in time, the Indiana legislature dictated to the IHSAA  that it is not ok to miss school for sports participation.  As you notice the whole very long state series takes place on weekends.  With a one class state system, and to have full wrestle backs, you would to extend the tournament to weekdays requiring  the missing of missinv of school which is strongly against IHSAA philosophy.

This is their policy, BUT how many kids miss school Friday of state so that their team can get down to Indy with ample time to get ready?  I know most if not every region team leaves before 9 am (CST), so essentially missing the whole day.  This has to be true for most if not all of every corner of the state, right?  So what would be the difference of having the tourney start earlier Friday?  Teams could leave Thursday night or really early Friday morning (pretty much every tourney their whole life) to get down there.

7 hours ago, trackgopher said:

I do have an inside “Track” on who is running the tournament. And the rumor is all points are to be added this year from each round. And that is how the scoring is showing when looking as a viewer!

@trackgopher - Thank you for responding. I was hoping that you would see this and give the definitive answer. I think that is great news about the first round!

Can you confirm that both the advancement (2 points) and activity points will count for the first round?  Also, could you confirm that the placement points remain the same at 16/12/9/7/5/3/2/1 ??

It would be nice on trackwrestling if there was a feature for non-admins to see the scoring setup prior to the beginning of the contest - maybe you can put a word in the ear of their devlopers.

Indiana wrestling is awesome and always a top 7 state in the nation. With our few travel rules and training rules we will never be in the top 3 elite states. But HELL top 7 year after year is always good. Ticket round matches are AWESOME and my favorite are FRIDAY NIGHT DEATH MATCHES :)

21 minutes ago, Cosgrove said:

Indiana wrestling is awesome and always a top 7 state in the nation. With our few travel rules and training rules we will never be in the top 3 elite states. But HELL top 7 year after year is always good. Ticket round matches are AWESOME and my favorite are FRIDAY NIGHT DEATH MATCHES :)

Friday Night ticket  consy semis and quarter finals ticket round matches are  better  in Ohio are better.  The best guys who earned their spot by working across the bracket, get their opportunity to be all-state or not.  The crowd is also into it.    Its not based on a lucky draw coming out of an unbalanced and flawed SS qualifier system.  There's a lot of guys that cant reach their goal of placing due to an unlucky draw, and a lot of lucky guys who do get to place

11 hours ago, base said:

@trackgopher - Thank you for responding. I was hoping that you would see this and give the definitive answer. I think that is great news about the first round!

Can you confirm that both the advancement (2 points) and activity points will count for the first round?  Also, could you confirm that the placement points remain the same at 16/12/9/7/5/3/2/1 ??

It would be nice on trackwrestling if there was a feature for non-admins to see the scoring setup prior to the beginning of the contest - maybe you can put a word in the ear of their devlopers.

Placement are attached and so is the score bouts page.

Scoring used to be a viewer tab. When they went to Hub, they took it away. I never even noticed it (as I’m usually the one running the tournament).

848EF98A-2568-4763-BC11-75D71453E426.jpeg

64E460A4-9C96-4B26-B557-CCBCA725E81A.jpeg

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.