Beeks vs Hardcastle ticket round match

AJ

34 minutes ago, 10fiecd said:

I can see both sides of this situation, but this is what I believe should have been done or what should be done in future situations like this.

The Ref and Head Ref should not have made a final decision until both coaches were aware of the situation. Each coach should get an opportunity to state their argument. Then if there is a video available, then let the refs review the video. Then before the Ref announces his final decision, the injured wrestler (Hardcastle in this situation), should determine if they can finish the match or not. Otherwise if the wrestler or coaching staff knows that if they can't finish then they win, then that doesn't give them much desire to push through to finish the match. If they are willing to to take that risk and say they are unable to finish the match, then I'm sure the refs would allow that to influence their final decision.    

At minimum, it would have been nice to make the SW coaching staff aware of what was going on. Give them an opportunity to state their case for something as serious as ticket round. There is no reason to surprise the opposing side when they raise the other kids hand. I don't know for sure, but I would guess SW coaches weren't aware of what was going on until they raise the other kids hand. That aspect of the situation seems unacceptable.

Just a thought...

Just some points on your thought. 

1. Under NFHSA rules, for a coach to ask a referee to watch a video would be considered flagrant misconduct and the coach would have to be removed from the facility.  So good thing the Southern Wells coach didn't request video.

2. In a recovery or a injury timeout situation,  referees do not want to end the match,  and Im sure they gave the full extent of time allowed the full two minutes and probably a few extra seconds. And at the end of the two minutes, they would have asked the injured wrestler and coach if he can continue or not?  I guarantee  the refs did this and explained the situation that the SW wrestler would be disqualified.   Again, the refs cant make a subjective opinion if the wrestler is healthy to go or not.

3.  It may be possible the referees didn't explain this to Southern Wells coaches, which I would be very surprised.   But again the  Southern Wells coaches should have been aware of  this rule and that their wrestler was in Jeopardy of being disqualified.   Where they not aware of the rule?

Yea... I think communication was way off during this match. On track SW coaching staff was never approached. I hear whistles & see arm motion. I do hope a positive comes out of this. 25secs in shouldn't have determined the outcome. 

I have no ill will toward Hardcastle. He wrestled great all Saturday, with a very tough road to the championship. And with the way he was wrestling, maybe he would have beaten Beeks if he could’ve continued the match.

Regardless, this was a really, really crappy way for a talented senior’s season to end. 

31 minutes ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

2. In a recovery or a injury timeout situation,  referees do not want to end the match,  and Im sure they gave the full extent of time allowed the full two minutes and probably a few extra seconds. And at the end of the two minutes, they would have asked the injured wrestler and coach if he can continue or not?  I guarantee  the refs did this and explained the situation that the SW wrestler would be disqualified.   Again, the refs cant make a subjective opinion if the wrestler is healthy to go or not.

Unless things have changed in the past few years the wrestler or coaches can't choose to go on or not if a trainer is called onto the mat. It's the trainer's call. That caused a big problem a while back when a trainer didn't know they only had a limited time to make the decision and refused to let a wrestler continue. Also, didn't know saying they wouldn't release the wrestler caused a default situation.

24 minutes ago, HemiCuda said:

Yea... I think communication was way off during this match. On track SW coaching staff was never approached. I hear whistles & see arm motion. I do hope a positive comes out of this. 25secs in shouldn't have determined the outcome. 

I just watched that also.   There was no communication between the SW coaching staff and they officials in the full recovery time period situation  that took over two minutes and i'm surprised.  Considering the official gave the incorrect injury time out signal and not the recovery signal and  that this is somewhat of an obscure rule, I think it would have prudent for the officials to say something to the Southern Wells staff and to keep them updated on the recovery timer.   They thought they had won the match on injury default.  The official did make the correct call.

The SW coaching staff was not informed that Hardcastle was on recovery time by the officials. Yes I seen the caution signaled by the referee and didn't realize the importance of that call. We were focused on keeping Josh's head clear and ready to wrestle. Didn't want to approach the bench in respect of giving Hardcastle and Oak Hill coaches there appropriate injury/recovery time. I knew the rule but in the heat of the battle didn't put it together until Hardcastle hand was raised. After a brief conversation with officials I agreed with the rule interpretation but obviously was sick with the situation. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.