One Trip State Champion

blueandgold

4 hours ago, hook and half said:

In the 2000 team semi-state, Mater Dei faced the Plainfield Quakers for the title.  Mike Goebel's gamesmanship was on full display when he inserted reserve freshman Sam Wildeman into the lineup against Plainfield's undefeated Derek Donelson.  Assistant coach Randy Helfrich had a plan for Wildeman....

Donelson had his hands full.

Wildeman scored a reversal in the third period to make it 5-3.  in a wild "pick 'em" scramble at the end of the match, Donelson came out on top and won by six.

Plainfield's coach, Paul Nicodemus, was impressed, telling Wildeman "he was going to have a great career."

It seemed like the MD "jv" could've beaten many good varsity teams..

• 4 weeks later...

Mike Langley 145# 1985 36-0 Tipton

Junior year got knocked out by the eventual champion. Sophomore year got in a fight with the coach and threw a lock. Not sure about his freshman year. 

I caught up with him at the library a couple months bf he passed a couple years ago. He said he had 12 losses in his life and over 2,000 wins which included a national championship over a summer. He had 2-3 dozen college offers but chose Ball State bc that’s where his then gf was. 

He started that season at 155. After the first match vs. North Central he said he was going to drop to 145 and win state. Strongest kid I can remember at that weight. Bench press was 315 at least. He said he had a key to the weight room and lifted 2x a day. 6 days a week. 

He definitely had that champion mindset. I told him I couldn’t beat the guy ranked 3rd in the nation in my weight class at Annapolis. He promptly interrupted me and said, “Everyone can be beaten.”  I then told him my son took 2nd in conference to a national champ he couldn’t beat.  He promptly interrupted me again saying, “Everyone can be beat.” 🤣

Edited by tonyzirkle

On 2/16/2020 at 12:31 PM, FCFIGHTER170 said:

It seemed like the MD "jv" could've beaten many good varsity teams..

During that time period that was an understatement. Outside of that really good Central team mid 90’s MD JV would’ve dominated the Southwest and probably top 10 statewide. They were dominant, but more than that the state has come a long way. MD

was just far ahead of the curve. 

On 3/13/2020 at 2:11 AM, Jayruss said:

During that time period that was an understatement. Outside of that really good Central team mid 90’s MD JV would’ve dominated the Southwest and probably top 10 statewide. They were dominant, but more than that the state has come a long way. MD

was just far ahead of the curve. 

And they had established successful blood lines that helped evolve the sport.. they kept wrestling families in their program that contributed to the growth and pedigree they built! Great coaching, endless community support and talent steadily developed in the feeder program is the ultimate combination for building special program!

On 3/12/2020 at 8:48 PM, tonyzirkle said:

Mike Langley 145# 1985 36-0 Tipton

Junior year got knocked out by the eventual champion. Sophomore year got in a fight with the coach and threw a lock. Not sure about his freshman year. 

I caught up with him at the library a couple months bf he passed a couple years ago. He said he had 12 losses in his life and over 2,000 wins which included a national championship over a summer. He had 2-3 dozen college offers but chose Ball State bc that’s where his then gf was. 

He started that season at 155. After the first match vs. North Central he said he was going to drop to 145 and win state. Strongest kid I can remember at that weight. Bench press was 315 at least. He said he had a key to the weight room and lifted 2x a day. 6 days a week. 

He definitely had that champion mindset. I told him I couldn’t beat the guy ranked 3rd in the nation in my weight class at Annapolis. He promptly interrupted me and said, “Everyone can be beaten.”  I then told him my son took 2nd in conference to a national champ he couldn’t beat.  He promptly interrupted me again saying, “Everyone can be beat.” 🤣

Love hearing old stories like this! 

On 2/17/2020 at 8:10 PM, Cooper160 said:

Jason Fryar from Whiteland High school. Heavy weight made it to state 2000 and won it all!   Was down by 3 with 8 seconds left and hit a 5 pt move, for the win.

I'd like to see that!  How sick would it be if they could start an archive of legendary matches that still exist.. I'm supposed be getting my hands on some 90s gold within next few months on VHS.

1 hour ago, Cooper160 said:

Anybody know how to get video from the 2002 state finals. I have lost my “VHS” and really want to be able to show my kids the matches. Is there a way to buy a dvd of the finals matches?

At one point the IHSAA was selling copies state finals videos though their website.  I’m not sure info on this is still listed on there or not, but I’m guessing they may still sell the videos if contacted.  

Ok thank   You. I’ll check into it  I’ve tried to look there before.  I try to tell my son that. I’ve been there and won it all but he keeps telling me that I don’t know what I’m talking about 😂. Soo I need some video proff

The Jason fryar match was sick. He had something like 7 loses coming into the tournament. Nobody thought he could win it all! It was the last year it was at market square.  I was a sophomore. I’ll never forget it. Later that evening we threw a party for him, he showed up and i remeber offering him a half gallon of vodka to drink on. He turned it down and left immediately.   😂.    He is now a officer with local police department, sounds about right. We partied to celebrate, he did not!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.