One Trip State Champion

blueandgold

Recently been noticing some guys who’ve made it to state as a senior on their sole trip and win it. I have a few names, but I wonder if there are any other wrestlers besides the ones I’m about to list that have won on their lone qualification.

2000: Bryce Hasseman, Franklin Community, 46-0

2012: Sean Mappes, Center Grove, 46-0

2013: Riley McClurg, Perry Meridian, 37-3

2015: Dylan Lydy, Ben Davis, 46-0

Seems like in the last decade this occurred three times. Are there any others out there?

27 minutes ago, Silence Dogood said:

Anthony Lapsley - Snider 1998

That's my dude right there! Trained together for years.. very naturally gifted athlete!  He went on to win King of the Cage world title and fought in the UFC! I think he beat fred joseph that year iirc.. and handled Kevin Carr in the finals.

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

27 minutes ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

That's my dude right there! Trained together for years.. very naturally gifted athlete!  He went on to win King of the Cage world title and fought in the UFC! I think he beat fred joseph that year iirc.. and handled Kevin Carr in the finals.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I heard Anthony had only wrestled a year or two prior to winning his State championship.  I wrestled on the same team as him at Indiana vs Illinois when he stuck Mount Carmel’s Jason Erwinski in the first period.  Anthony was a freak athlete for sure!

49 minutes ago, Grindtime said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I heard Anthony had only wrestled a year or two prior to winning his State championship.  I wrestled on the same team as him at Indiana vs Illinois when he stuck Mount Carmel’s Jason Erwinski in the first period.  Anthony was a freak athlete for sure!

He definitely wrestled as a sophomore and junior. Not sure about before that. 

9 hours ago, blueandgold said:

Recently been noticing some guys who’ve made it to state as a senior on their sole trip and win it. I have a few names, but I wonder if there are any other wrestlers besides the ones I’m about to list that have won on their lone qualification.

2000: Bryce Hasseman, Franklin Community, 46-0

2012: Sean Mappes, Center Grove, 46-0

2013: Riley McClurg, Perry Meridian, 37-3

2015: Dylan Lydy, Ben Davis, 46-0

Seems like in the last decade this occurred three times. Are there any others out there?

Just looking at these 4 tells you winning 3 or 4 titles isn't necessarily a required resume for success after high school either. Hasseman was a Team USA guy at least twice as a top 3 finisher at our trials. Mappes went to NCAAs at least twice. And Lydy is currently ranked in the Top 5 in the nation and has a great shot to be an All-American.

2 hours ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

That year all 4 170s from mooresville regional  made it through to state..I remember Trizton drew Vanhorn first 1 round of regionals losing 7-4.. that was 1 loaded regional. 

in 2011 all four 275s from Rochester regional went to state. 3 of the Plymouth sectional top 4 at 275 went to state that year.

In 1981, Mater Dei's Chris Wildeman was a one-trip wonder.  Not only that, he won the state title...

Trailing.

In overtime.

With a defensive pin.

Twenty-two years later, his son, Sam, became a one-trip state champ.  Sam beat a very tough Marc Bennett from Martinsville, albeit in less dramatic fashion.

5 hours ago, hook and half said:

In 1981, Mater Dei's Chris Wildeman was a one-trip wonder.  Not only that, he won the state title...

Trailing.

In overtime.

With a defensive pin. 

Twenty-two years later, his son, Sam, became a one-trip state champ.  Sam beat a very tough Marc Bennett from Martinsville, albeit in less dramatic fashion.

Yea when we wrestled MD at team state in 01'-02' we got 5th as a team our stud 5th placer and d3 AA  Keith Garrard went out there and got dog walked by this "wildeman" kid we wasnt familiar with..It didn't take long before we were put on notice😂 He went on to win state the next season.

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

Deron Phillips South Bend LaSalle 1988 119lb Champion and my Cuzo.

Rico Talamentes FW NorthSide High School 1992 171lb Champ.

Both we’re undefeated and wrestled a conference foe in the finals: Brent Lehman from Elkhart Memorial for Phillips.

Rodney “Pack-a-Day” Bolden from FW SouthSide for Talamentes.

Edited by GenHeavyHandz

13 hours ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

Yea when we wrestled MD at team state in 01'-02' we got 5th as a team our stud 5th placer and d3 AA  Keith Garrard went out there and got dog walked by this "wildeman" kid we wasnt familiar with..It didn't take long before we were put on notice😂 He went on to win state the next season.

In the 2000 team semi-state, Mater Dei faced the Plainfield Quakers for the title.  Mike Goebel's gamesmanship was on full display when he inserted reserve freshman Sam Wildeman into the lineup against Plainfield's undefeated Derek Donelson.  Assistant coach Randy Helfrich had a plan for Wildeman....

Donelson had his hands full.

Wildeman scored a reversal in the third period to make it 5-3.  in a wild "pick 'em" scramble at the end of the match, Donelson came out on top and won by six.

Plainfield's coach, Paul Nicodemus, was impressed, telling Wildeman "he was going to have a great career."

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.