Unbelievable Record, Please Explain

blueandgold

Recently went on the IHSAA's official website to look at the wrestling record book and I noticed Alex Tsirtsis went 62-0 that year not including Team State the next week in which his team got runner-up to Mater Dei, and if he never lost, that means he went 65-0 that year. How was that possible? Isn't there a limit to number of matches per day a team/wrestler is allowed? I can't think of any possible way that happens with any in-season tournament unless they went to super duals and an individual tournament EVERY weekend.

30 minutes ago, blueandgold said:

Recently went on the IHSAA's official website to look at the wrestling record book and I noticed Alex Tsirtsis went 62-0 that year not including Team State the next week in which his team got runner-up to Mater Dei, and if he never lost, that means he went 65-0 that year. How was that possible? Isn't there a limit to number of matches per day a team/wrestler is allowed? I can't think of any possible way that happens with any in-season tournament unless they went to super duals and an individual tournament EVERY weekend.

The maximum number of season tournaments you could participate in was different. 

Since then, the IHSAA changed things a bit to try to encourage more SINGLE dual meets and fewer tournaments.

Edited by piscis1956
Added word SINGLE

Well he averaged 59 wins per season. I remember him and the Escobedo/Hernandez cousins all being in the high 50s come Saturday afternoon. Except one year I believe it was Jose (correct me if I'm wrong) was 10-0 entering the state tournament? Suspended for something at school and then came back for the tournament.

Edited by WrestlingFanSummer63

03' 125 championship match had  Jaggers 56-0 vs Angel 61-0 and distinctly saying there had never been 2 such sparkling records to clash in the finals..At New Castle we could 50 a year easily.. Hence why the NC and Griffith boys have a majority of the top 10 all time wins records.

1 hour ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

03' 125 championship match had  Jaggers 56-0 vs Angel 61-0 and distinctly saying there had never been 2 such sparkling records to clash in the finals..At New Castle we could 50 a year easily.. Hence why the NC and Griffith boys have a majority of the top 10 all time wins records.

Speaking of which. Does anyone recall Angel's lone HS loss?

I remember those good days.  Had to document every match, because at the time Alex was chasing the record for most consecutive career wins. Just off my head, I know we went to the Valpo Super Duals, Munster Super Dual, Lake County which was a 2 day tournament, the LAC which had 15 team conference, Griffith Super duals, and then the state series, both individual and team.  Not to mention the Harvest Classic, Penn Super Duals, and the 4 duals during the week.  That year I believe the Andrea and Angel had 64, and were made because they drew a bye and Alex drew a forfeit at a tournament to get 65.

4 minutes ago, julio said:

I remember those good days.  Had to document every match, because at the time Alex was chasing the record for most consecutive career wins. Just off my head, I know we went to the Valpo Super Duals, Munster Super Dual, Lake County which was a 2 day tournament, the LAC which had 15 team conference, Griffith Super duals, and then the state series, both individual and team.  Not to mention the Harvest Classic, Penn Super Duals, and the 4 duals during the week.  That year I believe the Andrea and Angel had 64, and were made because they drew a bye and Alex drew a forfeit at a tournament to get 65.

Four duals each week (not including the weekends)?? That is insane.

1 hour ago, WrestlingFanSummer63 said:

Four duals each week (not including the weekends)?? That is insane.

Not each week, just during the week.

There was still the 18 point system in place there. Here is the breakdown

Event Matches Points
Dual 1 1
Dual 1 1
Dual 1 1
Dual 1 1
Valpo Super Dual 10 2
Munster Super Dual 10 2
Lake County 4 2
Harvest Classic 4 2
Penn Super Dual 5 2
LAC 4 2
Griffith Super Dual 5 2

Team Regional 2 0
Team Semi-state 1 0
Team State 3 0
Sectional 3 0
Regional 3 0
Semi-State 3 0
State 4 0
Total 65 18

Edited by Y2CJ41
Fixed with Julio's update

I may be mistaken cause I was a wrestler and not a coach at the time but It's my understanding that the 4 dual 18 point format didn't come in place until around the 2004-2005. This would have been Alex's senior year or after. It also could explain Alex going from 65 to 55... I know they didn't go to team state that year so I'm sure that factor but not by 10 matches.

5 minutes ago, bbulldog152 said:

I may be mistaken cause I was a wrestler and not a coach at the time but It's my understanding that the 4 dual 18 point format didn't come in place until around the 2004-2005. This would have been Alex's senior year or after. It also could explain Alex going from 65 to 55... I know they didn't go to team state that year so I'm sure that factor but not by 10 matches.

That is correct(not sure on the exact year though). Previously you could have 9 events that were all super duals and get 5 matches each for 45 matches. 

This is what I like to refer to as the "juiced" match era as many state and team records fell and still stand from this era.

29 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

That is correct(not sure on the exact year though). Previously you could have 9 events that were all super duals and get 5 matches each for 45 matches. 

This is what I like to refer to as the "juiced" match era as many state and team records fell and still stand from this era.

For people with records in the 50s (or close to it) today, how does that affect seeding at sectionals? Does strength of schedule play a factor at all or is it just H2H and common opponents?

1 hour ago, blueandgold said:

For people with records in the 50s (or close to it) today, how does that affect seeding at sectionals? Does strength of schedule play a factor at all or is it just H2H and common opponents?

Just H2H, common opponents and winning percentage....  But the coaches are suppose to make sure we separate the top 2 wrestlers....

On 2/13/2020 at 10:40 AM, blueandgold said:

image.thumb.jpeg.99594b04b692fc13c4a68fd0fb100869.jpeg

On 2/14/2020 at 3:44 PM, AJ said:

Just H2H, common opponents and winning percentage....  But the coaches are suppose to make sure we separate the top 2 wrestlers....

I thought that they just feed the info into track and let that seed the sectional. Which by the way should only seed the top 4.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.