Evansville Semi-State

Midstate0413

13 minutes ago, Midstate0413 said:

Looks like we will see Tristan Ruhlman and Gabe Sollars in different brackets for semi-state next weekend

If that's a spoiler, I love it!  If its a guess, then boo!  ha ha

There is no legitimate reason one should go home early this year (assuming they don't get upset by someone else).  I love the excitement of the ticket round, but it's randomness can be damned cruel.

Just now, chinwhipper said:

If both champs then you don’t need the formula.  They will be in different brackets

They weren't.  Sollars lost to Deters of Castle.  You have 3 of the top 6 in the State in the same SS, with 2 of them coming from the same Regional, which means one of the Regional winners will face Sollars in a loser goes home match.  Last year, it was Ruhlman vs. Sollars.  Hoping that won't happen again.

4 minutes ago, Midstate0413 said:

I don't think it will be Ruhlman and Sollars again.  it could very well be Deters and Ruhlman is the same.    Just assuming you wouldn't have Bloomington champ.amd Evansville 2nd place finisher in same bracker for three years in a row.

boooooo

you know what happens when you assume

I may be wrong but I believe it is done randomly.  If that is the case, then the probability of it happening again this year is the same as it was last year or the year before.  I know it seems that it's not likely to happen 3 years in a row, but probabilities are not affected by what's happened in the past.  That concept used to drive my brain nuts because I refused to believe that if you flipped a coin 49 times and it came up heads every time, that it is still a 50/50 chance on flip #50.

11 minutes ago, 1gold said:

126 will be Called the Dirtiest South squad of all time heading into State . Cant wait .

I’m guessing a few other years/weights at EV would contest that.  But, yes it’s a good group this year.  

Edited by MattM

13 hours ago, Midstate0413 said:

I don't think it will be Ruhlman and Sollars again.  it could very well be Deters and Ruhlman is the same.    Just assuming you wouldn't have Bloomington champ.amd Evansville 2nd place finisher in same bracker for three years in a row.

There is zero chance Ruhlman & Deters meet in the ticket round. They are both Regional Champs.

But as Swin explained, the chance that Ruhlman could draw Sollars is 1 in 3 just as it has been the last 2 years. It would be turrible if it did but it is a 1 in 3 possibility.

Just an FYI, the Ford Center will be going with their standard clear bag policy this year. This is new for Semi-state and will be missed by many that are new to the arena. Pass the word on please. Link to the policy. http://fordcenter.com/splash/

I have convinced them to still allow wrestlers to bring their normal bags and coolers through the team/wrestler check in entrance. All coolers must be left in the hospitality room and not taken out to the stands. 

On 2/8/2020 at 11:15 PM, MattM said:

I’m guessing a few other years/weights at EV would contest that.  But, yes it’s a good group this year.  

Make the argument good sir. I’m not doubting you, but I personally can’t remember a nastier one.

Long time ago. Maybe 1996-1997, top four finishers at 171 finished top four at state.  I’m sure there was one or two state pacers that didn’t make it to state that year.  1999 145# round to go featured the previous year 135# state champ vs 140# runner up.  

1 hour ago, JoeCoffey said:

Long time ago. Maybe 1996-1997, top four finishers at 171 finished top four at state.  I’m sure there was one or two state pacers that didn’t make it to state that year.  1999 145# round to go featured the previous year 135# state champ vs 140# runner up.  

In 1996-97 at 171lbs

Semistate 1. Josh Hardy, Princeton; 2. Jared Willimns Evansville Harrison· 3. Geno Roderick Franklin; 4. Mike Schroeder, Evansville Mater Dei;

State  1. Josh Hardy, Princeton; 2. Jared Willimns Evansville Harrison· 3. Geno Roderick Franklin; 4. Mike Schroeder, Evansville Mater Dei;

5 hours ago, Jayruss said:

Make the argument good sir. I’m not doubting you, but I personally can’t remember a nastier one.

I’d love to do a deep dive on some of the best groups that Evansville SS has sent to state, but this is not the week in my life with any reasonable free time to get it down. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.