Dirty or Smart Coach?

Y2CJ41

10 minutes ago, aoberlin said:

I'm not a religious scholar but I think they believe you should never physically harm a woman. Take that for what it is worth.

Ok,  So are you saying wrestling = harming somebody?  I think most "scholars"  including wrestling scholar agree you should never physically harm a man and a woman.

Not that I agree with some of these Bishops making edicts, but I thought their rational was that it was inappropriate sexually for boys to be touching girls in multiple ways you do in wrestling.

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

22 minutes ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

Ok,  So are you saying wrestling = harming somebody?  I think most "scholars"  including wrestling scholar agree you should never physically harm a man and a woman.

Not that I agree with some of these Bishops making edicts, but I thought their rational was that it was inappropriate sexually for boys to be touching girls in multiple ways you do in wrestling.

I feel physical harm includes inappropriate touching.

would it be dirty if the catholic school went ahead and wrestled the girl and dealt with the consequences later from the bishop?   it would be kinda funny if the one team put a few girls in thinking the catholic team would ff the match and the catholic school sent their wrestler out and got an easy pin. 

1 hour ago, littlevito said:

I'm just trying to find the bible verse saying, "thou shall not wrestle females". Must have missed that one.

The Bible doesn't say to wear straw hats, suspenders, and to not let anyone take your picture either but that's how the Amish see fit to live their lives, not saying it's my way just that they choose to live their faith in that manner

1 hour ago, Coach Brobst said:

They may have said "attendance", but coaches not using starters and essentially not caring about it is what lost us Team State. Nothing to do with girls wrestling, but simply people doing shady things to win wrestling duals or not caring about winning and just throwing JV kids out there so their Varsity guys would be ready for Individual State stuff. 

I forgot about the "not wrestling starters" stuff, I agree that was a big factor in losing Team State.

1 hour ago, SWINfan said:

Why does being Catholic make it wrong? I get if you are against boys wrestling girls. That's your choice and not what this is about. But what does it have to do with Catholicism? What am I missing? 

We can't wrestle them in the feeder league so why would we wrestle them outside of that?

1 hour ago, SWINfan said:

Why does being Catholic make it wrong? I get if you are against boys wrestling girls. That's your choice and not what this is about. But what does it have to do with Catholicism? What am I missing? 

It wasn’t that many years ago (or maybe longer than I remember?) when there was a long thread on here debating if boys and girls should be wrestling each other.  As I recall, there were about equal number of commenters on each side of the debate at the time.

As I seem to remember, there was a priest(?) from one of the Catholic schools who got on here and participated in the debate.  If I recall correctly, it was someone associated with EMD.

I believe he was against males and females wrestling each other.  I don’t think he was against boys and girls competing against each other in general.  And I don’t think it had anything to do with a boy physically harming a girl.  I think it had to do with the amount and kind of touching that can occur in a wrestling match.

I don’t know if that person was expressing a personal feeling or what he considered Catholic policy.

2 minutes ago, piscis1956 said:

So said the Houston Astros and Red Sox recently and many past steroid users in baseball.  

Yes, I know it’s a different sport.

Hasn't been working for the Oakland Raiders lately either.   My Chiefs on the other hand are doing a lot of things right:P

1 hour ago, WrestlingFanSummer63 said:

Little off topic, but is there still a limit to how many weight classes one can jump? Example, could a stud like Allred jump from 195 to HWT?

Ya think? Congrats on the worst thread hijack in IndianaMat history..and that's saying something!! Amirite...

2 hours ago, bigballerb said:

Wonder if he would tell Sarah Hildebrandt or Kayla that they’re mockeries.

I thought the same thing! These girls are tough as nails and exciting to watch, even back in their ISWA days.  

I've always wondered what a weeknight might be like in the Hildebrandt family... if Drew or Sarah popped off a wise crack against each other! Move the furniture out of the way, it's on!!!

I did not mean that one should cheat to win, but do anything within the rules to win.  To use the baseball example, who would not put in a pinch hitter that is better suited to hit a homerun?   Also in wrestling,  if your opponent is prone to headlocks,  it is not cheating to throw a headlock. If a team has a forfeit in the lineup,  there is no reason to use your best wrestler to receive the forfeit.  

1 hour ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

Hasn't been working for the Oakland Raiders lately either.   My Chiefs on the other hand are doing a lot of things right:P

It's actually the Las Vegas Raiders now, and they will be just fine. Beautiful stadium being built. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Super Bowl in the near future. I think you are getting the Raiders and the Patriots confused (Tuck rule, Deflate Gate, Video espionage). The Tuck Rule game probably cost the Raiders a Super Bowl. The Patriots are the ones that have been busted multiple times recently. You have to go back to the Stick Um days to bust the Raiders. Congrats on your first championship in 50 years. The Chiefs needed the Cardinals and the Rams to leave St. Louis so they could be the best team in Missouri. I do like Mahomes though...just hope you can keep him around.

19 minutes ago, Spectater said:

It's actually the Las Vegas Raiders now, and they will be just fine. Beautiful stadium being built. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Super Bowl in the near future. I think you are getting the Raiders and the Patriots confused (Tuck rule, Deflate Gate, Video espionage). The Tuck Rule game probably cost the Raiders a Super Bowl. The Patriots are the ones that have been busted multiple times recently. You have to go back to the Stick Um days to bust the Raiders. Congrats on your first championship in 50 years. The Chiefs needed the Cardinals and the Rams to leave St. Louis so they could be the best team in Missouri. I do like Mahomes though...just hope you can keep him around.

Excuse me, but I think you mean the great State of Kansas for the Chiefs.

40 minutes ago, Spectater said:

To Uncle Jimmy's Chagrin we got to hi-jack a little more on the Superbowl.   I really wasn't saying the Raiders have been cheating lately,  I was more referring to their motto  coined by Al Davis "Just Win Baby" that was referenced earlier.   Its all around their old Oakland stadium, and the motto obviously hasn't been working for the last 20 years,   and i was remiss is saying the  Oakland Raiders.  Old habit.  They need a new motto.  But it was a great opportunity to reference my superbowl champion Chiefs.  

Maybe the people who thought the Cardinals or Rams were the best team in Missouri are the ones are the geniuses that thought the Kansas City Chiefs were in Kansas.     Besides a couple years of the "Greatest Show  on Earth" by the Rams,  my Chiefs have always been the best team in Missouri.  Come on.  And I'm from the Kansas side of Kansas City, we know.   Hell,   I belonged to the KC wolf pack  when i was 10.  The Scholar digresses and is going to buy Superbowl Chiefs shirts for the family tonight.  Now we can get back to wrestling. 

11 hours ago, GrecoCoach said:

Let's say the Colts announced a team rule that they will only run the ball up the middle on the goal line.  (like saying you will forfeit to a girl)

Would Belicheck be "dirty" for stacking the box with all 11 defensive players knowing the Colts won't try anything else?

If you set a team rule or policy, you leave yourself open to others taking advantage of it.  So, I agree with Galagore - recruiting girls just for that purpose is dirty and against every coaching philosophy, but if they are already on the team, it is smart.

Dude, the colts would never do that. Have you ever watched a football game? 

1 hour ago, DrunkJoeNamath said:

Dude, the colts would never do that. Have you ever watched a football game? 

Dude, it’s a hypothetical analogy. Of course the Colts would never tell all their opponents what they’re going to do. Wouldn’t that be stupid? Like telling everyone that your team will forfeit all matches to girls and act surprised when a team puts a few girls in their line up against you. 

A better analogy here is if we were wrestling Iran in a high-stakes world championship dual. Hypothetically...a new team format going for a medal at the Olympics. We know they'll refuse to wrestle Israeli and sometimes Jewish opponents in general. Are we wrong putting the Finesilver brothers on our roster and sending them out for 4 forfeit wins, knowing we'll win the dual because of Iran's self-imposed silliness?

I find it weird that people want coaches who promote girls wrestling to keep track of others’ views of girls wrestling

and then change their own philosophies about girls wrestling to accommodate the teams that don’t think of girls wrestling as positively. 

If you are a wrestler, you should embrace the equality of the sport and wrestle anyone who gets on the mat. If you don’t do that, you will lose matches. It isn’t up to the team that believes in wrestling’s equality to practice other teams’ beliefs. Another team doesn’t get to set a line-up if another team.

If a team loses a championship because they refuse to wrestle a girl, maybe they will rethink their policy, and if they do rethink that policy, it would benefit our sport and allow more people to wrestle. 

It would be up to the coach of the team to set their line-up to do what is right for the team they coach, and the opposing coaches/team should not get a say in those choices. If you make rules, you either enforce them and accept consequence, or you get rid of the rule and change your ways, as the English teacher of Antigone in me would say. 

15 minutes ago, maligned said:

A better analogy here is if we were wrestling Iran in a high-stakes world championship dual. Hypothetically...a new team format going for a medal at the Olympics. We know they'll refuse to wrestle Israeli and sometimes Jewish opponents in general. Are we wrong putting the Finesilver brothers on our roster and sending them out for 4 forfeit wins, knowing we'll win the dual because of Iran's self-imposed silliness?

If Iran has a policy we find troubling, and we avoid offending their troubling policy on purpose, aren’t we supporting their policy?

This conundrum all comes down to motivation...do you want to win...do you want the best wrestling to occur...do you want equality to be best served in the short term...do you want equality to be best served in the long run...

There are no right or wrong answers if you have solid and honest justifications. 

23 hours ago, PhillyFanMD said:

In Pennsylvania and seems like the same in Indiana where the Private and Parochial are so dominant that we have a Catholic League and Public League.  Catholic Leagues play other parochial schools during the season and only meet to dominate the Public schools in the off season.

I also may be old school but I think girl's wrestling is mockery of a man's sport

Old school =/= sexism

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.