Richmond Regional Thoughts/Discussion

Perseverance

In a Regional that traditionally lacks depth in regards to numbers of highly ranked wrestlers.....there is always a handful of young men that represent on the big stage.  I think it’s fair to say that despite numbers, this Regional is consistently a “sleeper” regarding man for man talent.  However....this particular comment of mine has nothing to do with Silas, former elites like Parris......or even current studs like Bryer Hall & Gabe Phillips.

I’m most intrigued about the 220lbs class. Not just this weekend, but moving forward.  I’ve not seen 2-4th place of the opposing Sectional enough to adequately dissect them fairly.  However, Champ Evan Schaffer, and 1-4 of Tri Sectional I can.  Cullen Browning was the only 220lbs wrestler who fished the season in the rankings.  He subsequently finished 3rd.  Losing to a very inexperienced, but very strong, athletic, and just green enough to “rather throw you than know” at unsuspecting times....Jack Taylor of New Castle.  Blaine Pierce of Richmond (Spartan Champ), spent some time in the rankings and is fairly well rounded with a lot of grit.  His leg attacks could prove tough for larger, less agile 220’s.  And finally Schaffer of Connersville, probably being the physically strongest and most athletic of all the competitors in this class at Richmond. Tall, lean, very heavy hips and strong as an ox.

Case and point....these young men are legitimate sleepers outside the rankings, that can create problems in first round and ticket round match-ups at semi state.  I’m not going to make any bold predictions, other than opposing regionals better strap their boots on when facing 1-4 from Richmond at 220.  It would not at all shock me to see 2 of these young men punch a ticket, depending on their draw. 

Edited by Perseverance

1 hour ago, Perseverance said:

In a Regional that traditionally lacks depth in regards to numbers of highly ranked wrestlers.....there is always a handful of young men that represent on the big stage.  I think it’s fair to say that despite numbers, this Regional is consistently a “sleeper” regarding man for man talent.  However....this particular comment of mine has nothing to do with Silas, former elites like Parris......or even current studs like Bryer Hall & Gabe Phillips.

I’m most intrigued about the 220lbs class. Not just this weekend, but moving forward.  I’ve not seen 2-4th place of the opposing Sectional enough to adequately dissect them fairly.  However, Champ Evan Schaffer, and 1-4 of Tri Sectional I can.  Cullen Browning was the only 220lbs wrestler who fished the season in the rankings.  He subsequently finished 3rd.  Losing to a very inexperienced, but very strong, athletic, and just green enough to “rather throw you than know” at unsuspecting times....Jack Taylor of New Castle.  Blaine Pierce of Richmond (Spartan Champ), spent some time in the rankings and is fairly well rounded with a lot of grit.  His leg attacks could prove tough for larger, less agile 220’s.  And finally Schaffer of Connersville, probably being the physically strongest and most athletic of all the competitors in this class at Richmond. Tall, lean, very heavy hips and strong as an ox.

Case and point....these young men are legitimate sleepers outside the rankings, that can create problems in first round and ticket round match-ups at semi state.  I’m not going to make any bold predictions, other than opposing regionals better strap their boots on when facing 1-4 from Richmond at 220.  It would not at all shock me to see 2 of these young men punch a ticket, depending on their draw. 

You're exactly right about 220! Some lesser known Brutes that all can scrap!  138 Walsh of Ktown is a sleeper and 2x SSQ that lost in ticket round last year to stud Wilkerson 6-3.. good athlete that could be a tough test for guys trying get to The Bank...@195 undefeated Krummen who could be a placer has a a very tall order vs the Reigning, defending Undefeated undisputed 195 Pound State Champion! Imho Silas pins the field...120 Could have a solid finals if the seeds play out that way with 36-1 #19 Freshman Thrine vs a Very tough 31-5 Scneider of the Undefeated undeerrated East Central Trojans!  

170 We have #15 Ragle wth a potential rematch vs NCSS RANKED Malson whos having a solid season himself at 35-4..Ragle won 8-2 their first match.. be 1 to keep an eye on if they both advance to finals!

220 will be the most exciting weight class top to bottom. Alot of experience and athletic talent there. 120 will be entertaining as well, with 3 guys who have the potential to win on any given day. 132, 145, 152, 160, and 170 all have interesting semi final and final matchups that could go a lot of different ways. And of course, I feel confident Silas pins the field at 195. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.