Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I don't think Viduya is a lock, Ellis looks really good right now, also I haven't seen Irick wrestle this year but have heard great things and seeing it was a 1 point match against keys I wouldn't say its a lock

Link to post
Share on other sites

Previous State Champ:

120 - Bettich (Michigan); 132 - Mendez;  145 - Viduya;  160 - Rodgers; 195 - Allred;  285 - Keys

 

State Runner-up:

113 - Cottey;  120 - Seltzer;  120 - Bettich (Michigan);  126 - Rioux;  138 - Boarman;  145 - Viduya;   160 - Rodgers;  160 - Noehre;  170 - Fielden

  

3x State Placer:

120 - Bettich (MI & IN);  126 - Rioux;  126 - Lowery;  138 - Campbell;  145 - Viduya;  152 - Boe;  182 - Winner  

 

3x State Qualifier:

132 - Cottingham (3x SQ);  170 - Calhoun (2x placer, 1x SQ); 195 - LaPlace (1x placer, 2x SQ)

 

Things to consider when picking a "lock".

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, indianmorg said:

I don't think Viduya is a lock, Ellis looks really good right now, also I haven't seen Irick wrestle this year but have heard great things and seeing it was a 1 point match against keys I wouldn't say its a lock

The 1 point was close/questionable locking hands call

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Aidan Sprague said:

Don't forget about Drew Webster.

I’m aware, I just don’t see anyone in that weight beating him. Bates had some really good nationally ranked wins last year. I think he would’ve given Silas a tough match if he stayed down at 195. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2020 at 1:20 PM, Thor said:

I’m aware, I just don’t see anyone in that weight beating him. Bates had some really good nationally ranked wins last year. I think he would’ve given Silas a tough match if he stayed down at 195. 

He was 195 until Silas dropped then he went up to 220..Silas would've handled him imho

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2020 at 11:15 AM, brickfor6 said:

I think that Silas, Jesse, and Zeke are the only ones we can legit call 'locks'.

 

Viduya has to face Ellis, and Coleman has to get out of semi-state first.

And Boe @152 might have something to say about ppl thinking coleman's a lock! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

He was 195 until Silas dropped then he went up to 220..Silas would've handled him imho

I don't think that he went 195 once this year, Silas would have definitely had trouble with him though, he jumped levels while Silas was hurt imho

Edited by brickfor6
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, brickfor6 said:

I don't think that he went 195 once this year, Silas would have definitely had trouble with him though, he jumped levels while Silas was hurt imho

Silas is also better since he got hurt as Bates def wrestled 195 this year before Silas went down to 195..Bates is a great wrestler no doubt about that.. We could've found out if Bates could hang had he not went up to 220 once silas made 195...Bates wrestled at least 15x matches at 95 from his track account. 

Edited by FCFIGHTER170
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

Silas is also better since he got hurt as Bates def wrestled 195 this year before Silas went down to 195..Bates is a great wrestler no doubt about that.. We could've found out if Bates could hang had he not went up to 220 once silas made 195...Bates wrestled at least 15x matches at 95 from his track account. 

You're right he did wrestle 13 matches at 195 (8 being out of state, 12 by tech or pin, 1 MajDec)...I don't think his motive of going up was Silas making 195 though, he doesn't seem like the one that would dodge. Chesterton putting him and Demarco in the line up was probably the better move for the team, so they did exactly that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's what I think (this may be a bit early but oh well)

 

106 is between a handful of people, but Goin, Miller, and Chundi seem like the three that could do it, although it wouldn't surprise me to see Ruble in that mix as well.

113 seems like Cottey's weight class this year, and while there are a few wrestlers that could and will challenge him, Cottey has been state-runner up for two years in a row and I think he's hungrier than ever to make it happen.

120 is a lock, I don't see anybody beating Seltzer right now.

126 is crazy, there are so many people that could take this weight class, many of them coming out of the same semi-state.

132 is another lock, Mendez might not wrestle a full six minute match at Banker's Life this year.

138 is another wide open weight class, with a handful of contenders.

145 will come down to Viduya or Ellis, and that match could go either way.

152 isn't necessarily a lock but Coleman has been impressive this year, although he hasn't wrestled everybody at 152 yet this year that could give him some trouble.

160 will either be Rodgers, Dickens, Levitz, or Noehre. Dickens beat Rodgers 9-3 this year, which is very impressive, so I think he might be the frontrunner in this weight class right now.

170 looks like a run for 2nd place, as Calhoun has won with bonus points against everybody he's wrestled except for Simpson of Hobart, which was still an 8-2 match. However, the other man under the lights is a complete mystery, and this may be a bold statement, but I think there are around 7 other guys in this weight class that could claim that runner up spot.

182 might be a lock for Walker, in my opinion. Warren and Parkinson looked like the other two guys that could challenge him this year, but Walker wrestled them both and beat them pretty convincingly.

195 is looking like Allred's weight class, especially with Bates at 220, but I wouldn't count LaPlace out. Last time LaPlace and Walker met in a tournament, LaPlace actually won, so LaPlace can hang with the best in the nation. He's not my pick at 195, but it will be a lot closer than many may expect.

220 is looking like Bates's weight class, although Bates is giving up some weight and there are some very tough 220's that could give Bates a run for his money.

285 is going to come down to Keys and Irick, and that match will be very close (it was only 1-0 when they met this year) however, Keys likes to keep his matches close and it wouldn't surprise me if somebody upset him on his way to the state finals match.

 

So pretty much, 120, 132, 170, 182, and 195 are looking like locks, while 113, 220, and 285 are iffy. 106, 126, 138, and 160 are wide open, in my opinion. 

Edited by TysonNisley
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, brickfor6 said:

You're right he did wrestle 13 matches at 195 (8 being out of state, 12 by tech or pin, 1 MajDec)...I don't think his motive of going up was Silas making 195 though, he doesn't seem like the one that would dodge. Chesterton putting him and Demarco in the line up was probably the better move for the team, so they did exactly that. 

I'm not bashing on the kid or nothing I just think Silas would beat him handily..Too strong,fast, phyisical and technical for Bates.. He's representing team USA for a reason and 1 of the best big men the states ever seen..Bates will more than likely win state at 220 but will have a few tough match ups there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, TysonNisley said:

Here's what I think (this may be a bit early but oh well)

 

106 is between a handful of people, but Goin, Miller, and Chundi seem like the three that could do it, although it wouldn't surprise me to see Ruble in that mix as well.

113 seems like Cottey's weight class this year, and while there are a few wrestlers that could and will challenge him, Cottey has been state-runner up for two years in a row and I think he's hungrier than ever to make it happen.

120 is a lock, I don't see anybody beating Seltzer right now.

126 is crazy, there are so many people that could take this weight class, many of them coming out of the same semi-state.

132 is another lock, Mendez might not wrestle a full six minute match at Banker's Life this year.

138 is another wide open weight class, with a handful of contenders.

145 will come down to Viduya or Ellis, and that match could go either way.

152 isn't necessarily a lock but Coleman has been impressive this year, although he hasn't wrestled everybody at 152 yet this year that could give him some trouble.

160 will either be Rodgers, Dickens, Levitz, or Noehre. Dickens beat Rodgers 9-3 this year, which is very impressive, so I think he might be the frontrunner in this weight class right now.

170 looks like a run for 2nd place, as Calhoun has won with bonus points against everybody he's wrestled except for Simpson of Hobart, which was still an 8-2 match. However, the other man under the lights is a complete mystery, and this may be a bold statement, but I think there are around 7 other guys in this weight class that could claim that runner up spot.

182 might be a lock for Walker, in my opinion. Warren and Parkinson looked like the other two guys that could challenge him this year, but Walker wrestled them both and beat them pretty convincingly.

195 is looking like Allred's weight class, especially with Bates at 220, but I wouldn't count LaPlace out. Last time LaPlace and Walker met in a tournament, LaPlace actually won, so LaPlace can hang with the best in the nation. He's not my pick at 195, but it will be a lot closer than many may expect.

220 is looking like Bates's weight class, although Bates is giving up some weight and there are some very tough 220's that could give Bates a run for his money.

285 is going to come down to Keys and Irick, and that match will be very close (it was only 1-0 when they met this year) however, Keys likes to keep his matches close and it wouldn't surprise me if somebody upset him on his way to the state finals match.

 

So pretty much, 120, 132, 170, 182, and 195 are looking like locks, while 113, 220, and 285 are iffy. 106, 126, 138, and 160 are wide open, in my opinion. 

182 Don’t forget Mason Winner

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

I'm not bashing on the kid or nothing I just think Silas would beat him handily..Too strong,fast, phyisical and technical for Bates.. He's representing team USA for a reason and 1 of the best big men the states ever seen..Bates will more than likely win state at 220 but will have a few tough match ups there.

You win. We obviously are not on the same page, no sense in arguing over something we will never find out. Bates is good. Even better at freestyle imho

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.