Title Locks

PMFAN

I’ve avoided dialogue regarding Silas vs Bates all year.  For obvious reasons on one hand as Silas’ father, but also due to privileged information regarding weight changes, and the initial facilitation of this “should have been” match up. 

I could allow pride to take over and list countless examples of top 10 Nationally ranked young men from 182-220 that Silas has pinned or tech’d. Including some Bates was unfortunately on the losing end to.  And I say “unfortunately” GENUINELY.  Because despite how I know this match up would go.....we genuinely root for Evan on the National scene.  We want Evan to continue growing his skill-set, smash opposing nationally ranked wrestlers, and continue growing the reputation of our very underrated State’s wrestling rep.

That said.....I’ll only divulge this bit of information.  Silas trended down nearly 30lbs prior to BMI’s to make this match happen. We were told by reputable sources that Bates was going to stay at 195lbs and challenge himself.  We admired that attribute....and were more than willing to give him opportunity.  Regardless of Silas’ initial plan to wrestle a VERY comfortable 220lbs prior to leaving for Lincoln in June.  

The weight class jump wasn’t solidified until after the first of the year.  Now.....opinions are just that.....”opinions”. And everyone is entitled to their own.   But those closest to the initial facilitation of this match know the truth.  And that’s what matters most.

We appreciate the statewide support for Silas, and fully respect the opinions of those who support, and are fans of Evan. It’s great for the sport.  We wholeheartedly regret this match isn’t going to happen this year, but will very much look forward to a potential Fargo match-up. 

We wish Evan and the Chesterton team nothing but good health, and success moving forward.  And hope they collectively enjoy the ride in pursuit of their goals. -The Allred’s 

Plenty of other talented and driven 195 and 220lbs young men for Silas & Evan to focus on as we speak.

While I don't personally speak for Evan, I can say without hesitation that his decision to change weight classes was an unselfish one in order to effectively give an opportunity for Friday Night glory to a fellow teammate.  Evan has never ran away from tough competition.  From the time Evan was little, his father was constantly seeking tougher tournaments in order to challenge his son. Evan wanted a chance to wrestle Silas, and in fact knew that moving to 220 would appear as a sign of weakness.  I'm sure the decision weighed heavy on his mind, because deep down he knew how this might possibly be viewed.  However, he did what he felt was best for his teammate and regardless of how anyone else sees it, those of us who have watched him grow in this sport know that his sacrifice for his teammate is more important to him than anyone's opinions on a chat board.

27 minutes ago, NarrowGate said:

While I don't personally speak for Evan, I can say without hesitation that his decision to change weight classes was an unselfish one in order to effectively give an opportunity for Friday Night glory to a fellow teammate.  Evan has never ran away from tough competition.  From the time Evan was little, his father was constantly seeking tougher tournaments in order to challenge his son. Evan wanted a chance to wrestle Silas, and in fact knew that moving to 220 would appear as a sign of weakness.  I'm sure the decision weighed heavy on his mind, because deep down he knew how this might possibly be viewed.  However, he did what he felt was best for his teammate and regardless of how anyone else sees it, those of us who have watched him grow in this sport know that his sacrifice for his teammate is more important to him than anyone's opinions on a chat board.

His selflessness is admirable.  Truly mean that.

But the “opinions” that do matter can have some say over scholarship dollars. Certain opinions on this matter go far beyond this website.  And wrestling aside....knowing recruiting as I do, unless Evan is being courted as a potential heavyweight in college...it’s not a good look.  Most recruiters would ask why not just let his friend wrestle 220?

Having the opportunity to wrestle #2 in the country whose already signed a 100% for 5yrs is an UNREAL opportunity to bolster recruiting.  That’s the part that’s hard to understand.  It’s a match Evan don’t have to “win”, to kinda actually win.  Make sense?

But everyone’s journey is different, and personal convictions vary.  I pass no judgement.  And truly wish Evan the best on his personal path. 

14 minutes ago, Perseverance said:

His selflessness is admirable.  Truly mean that.

But the “opinions” that do matter can have some say over scholarship dollars. Certain opinions on this matter go far beyond this website.  And wrestling aside....knowing recruiting as I do, unless Evan is being courted as a potential heavyweight in college...it’s not a good look.  Most recruiters would ask why not just let his friend wrestle 220?

Having the opportunity to wrestle #2 in the country whose already signed a 100% for 5yrs is an UNREAL opportunity to bolster recruiting.  That’s the part that’s hard to understand.  It’s a match Evan don’t have to “win”, to kinda actually win.  Make sense?

But everyone’s journey is different, and personal convictions vary.  I pass no judgement.  And truly wish Evan the best on his personal path. 

That match would've gotten a lot of buzz similar Lee vs Red in its own right..2 highly nationally ranked studs in the State finals doesn't happen all that often around here..

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.