Middle School Dual Weigh in

Raven27

This is something they do here in Hamilton County as well. It's on the "honor system" and coaches are supposed to weigh kids in prior to lunch that day rather than at the meet. Drives me nuts. Simply too easy to lie or say he was on just to fill a line-up. My understanding, however, is that they believe this minimizes the stress of making weight on the athletes and helps with retention, but from my end, it just leads to a bunch of Freshman who have no idea how to actually make weight.

Without a governing body for MS wrestling, it's really kind of like the Wild West. Every time one of our MS teams heads to a different county, there's new weight classes, some count forfeits for points, some don't, some weigh in before duals, some don't. It's just crazy. If there was a way to organize it all so it was uniform, I'm certain that schools would benefit.

1 minute ago, Coach Brobst said:

This is something they do here in Hamilton County as well. It's on the "honor system" and coaches are supposed to weigh kids in prior to lunch that day rather than at the meet. Drives me nuts. Simply too easy to lie or say he was on just to fill a line-up. My understanding, however, is that they believe this minimizes the stress of making weight on the athletes and helps with retention, but from my end, it just leads to a bunch of Freshman who have no idea how to actually make weight.

Without a governing body for MS wrestling, it's really kind of like the Wild West. Every time one of our MS teams heads to a different county, there's new weight classes, some count forfeits for points, some don't, some weigh in before duals, some don't. It's just crazy. If there was a way to organize it all so it was uniform, I'm certain that schools would benefit.

I totally agree!  Why are we doing it one way in High School and making sure kids get qualifying weigh ins and are adhering to rules but in Middle School it IS THE WILD WEST.  I am debating on weather or not I should schedule teams in the future that don't weigh in.  I want my middle school kids to learn the rules and play by them.  How to manage their weight properly without being miserable.  To learn discipline ect..  Not make them do it and then wrestle a kid that is 5 pounds heavier than them.  Frustrating 

Personally, with as many middle school events as there are I would hate for kids to be forced to monitor their weights multiple times per week. As a high school coach we try to limit the number of weeks with two weigh-ins just to ease the strain on the kids. I know our middle schools will have three, sometimes four events in a week and I couldn't imagine a kid needing to make weight that many times. Even if they aren't cutting weight they still need to monitor their weight in order to not be over.

When talking about middle school we need to work on retention of athletes more than anything. This includes uniforms AND weigh-in procedures. 

5 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Personally, with as many middle school events as there are I would hate for kids to be forced to monitor their weights multiple times per week. As a high school coach we try to limit the number of weeks with two weigh-ins just to ease the strain on the kids. I know our middle schools will have three, sometimes four events in a week and I couldn't imagine a kid needing to make weight that many times. Even if they aren't cutting weight they still need to monitor their weight in order to not be over.

When talking about middle school we need to work on retention of athletes more than anything. This includes uniforms AND weigh-in procedures. 

So if they aren't on weight should they be allowed to wrestle the kid that is? 

12 minutes ago, Raven27 said:

So if they aren't on weight should they be allowed to wrestle the kid that is? 

We need to have better ways of aligning kids into their weight classes without having them make weight multiple times a week.

I personally like the "lunch" time weigh-in as it lets the kids eat and not worry about drinking too much water. Even something like weighing in one time per week is better. 

We want kids to enjoy the sport at the elementary and middle school levels. Making weight, even if you aren't cutting, can be a huge burden on new kids/parents in the sport.

1 hour ago, Y2CJ41 said:

We need to have better ways of aligning kids into their weight classes without having them make weight multiple times a week.

I personally like the "lunch" time weigh-in as it lets the kids eat and not worry about drinking too much water. Even something like weighing in one time per week is better. 

We want kids to enjoy the sport at the elementary and middle school levels. Making weight, even if you aren't cutting, can be a huge burden on new kids/parents in the sport.

My son wrestled for the first time in 8th grade last year. He weighed 320 when practice began, and he lost over 30 pounds all on his own with no pressure from us as parents or from his coaches. He did it with diet and conditioning. He's now finishing his freshman year and even though he's taller now at 6'6", he's still under 285 and has been all year. Only pressure he's had is from the football coach who wants him at 290, lol.

Many middle school coaches aren’t in the school during the day.  Lunch time weigh-ins are no different that weigh-ins everyday before practice.  Don’t let a kid wrestle off for a weight that he doesn’t make regularly.  We wrestle Tues and Thurs Duals plus 4 Saturday’s.  Not including ISWA tourneys.  These kids are growing and should not be cutting weight.  We wrestled a dual tonight, no weigh-ins and were obviously little in multiple places.  Won 77-27 using middle school state weight classes plus 70pounds.  ISWA is swinging back to “satellite weigh-ins”.  No difference, same people are going to abide or fudge a “pound”.  This is no different than satellite weigh-ins.  Same coaches conducting weigh-ins. I have a son that weighs 95 and wrestles 102 for the team.  The other weighs 129 and wrestles 132.  It’s a no brainer in my opinion.  

As a middle school coach who is not in the school, it is difficult to have to get to the school in the morning to weigh kids.  I  I wish we would do weigh ins at the meet.  We need to teach nutrition and wrestle kids in the weight class that best suits them.  I have had the same issue of the honor system not really working and opposing coaches giving their kids a few pounds or so.  Also, I really wish we would set the same weight classes for the whole state.

8 hours ago, chinwhipper said:

Many middle school coaches aren’t in the school during the day.  Lunch time weigh-ins are no different that weigh-ins everyday before practice.  Don’t let a kid wrestle off for a weight that he doesn’t make regularly.  We wrestle Tues and Thurs Duals plus 4 Saturday’s.  Not including ISWA tourneys.  These kids are growing and should not be cutting weight.  We wrestled a dual tonight, no weigh-ins and were obviously little in multiple places.  Won 77-27 using middle school state weight classes plus 70pounds.  ISWA is swinging back to “satellite weigh-ins”.  No difference, same people are going to abide or fudge a “pound”.  This is no different than satellite weigh-ins.  Same coaches conducting weigh-ins. I have a son that weighs 95 and wrestles 102 for the team.  The other weighs 129 and wrestles 132.  It’s a no brainer in my opinion.  

I don't have a problem with giving 2lbs but we weigh in before all our home meets in middle school and there have been teams that had kids in weight classes that were more than 5 and some up to 10 lbs over.  I don't believe the coach was trying to cheat I really think they didn't know.  Why not just weigh in and get the right weights matched up.  It's not fair to a kid and for 75 lb kid 5lbs is a lot.  To me it's silly to not have weigh in.  If they're close but a little over no big deal. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.