I have an idea for a new top ten.

The Zebra

38 minutes ago, The Zebra said:

What if we did a state official top ten? Give some credit to the referees doing their best to provide as fair of a competition as they possibly can. I think it could be a great/awful topic depending on how many officials can take the honest truth. What are your thoughts?

It’d be nice to give positive feedback for a necessity of the sport. I’m not sure if ranking officials is a good idea; how about a tally of “ref of the year” points?

I’ll give a ref of the year point to Cooper for a great day at the Portage Sectional. 

I always love discussing rules and calls with Hahn. 

Sorry but this is a bad idea. I know that most of you are going to disagree, but coaches & fans are really not good judges on who are good officials.

You can have an official who is one of the best around but if he makes one bad call (and by that I mean one call that a particular coach/fan base doesn't like) and they think he is awful no matter what else this official ever does.

I completely understand that there are knowledgeable fans & coaches that know the rules, but until you actually officiate matches & have to enforce the rules - you don't know them as well as you think.

I guarantee that anyone who has never officiated before (coach, wrestler or fan) would be amazed at how much they would learn about the rules after becoming an official.

Trust me, there is a huge difference between knowing the rules & enforcing them. Especially in a sport like wrestling where so much judgement comes into play.

24 minutes ago, SIACfan said:

Sorry but this is a bad idea. I know that most of you are going to disagree, but coaches & fans are really not good judges on who are good officials.

You can have an official who is one of the best around but if he makes one bad call (and by that I mean one call that a particular coach/fan base doesn't like) and they think he is awful no matter what else this official ever does.

I completely understand that there are knowledgeable fans & coaches that know the rules, but until you actually officiate matches & have to enforce the rules - you don't know them as well as you think.

I guarantee that anyone who has never officiated before (coach, wrestler or fan) would be amazed at how much they would learn about the rules after becoming an official.

Trust me, there is a huge difference between knowing the rules & enforcing them. Especially in a sport like wrestling where so much judgement comes into play.

What about top officials from each semi state get together with the Indiana mat crew on a podcast and debate it, as well as the team state coaches rank officials as well?  Of course I’m just spitballing here, but I think somehow we could make it work in one form or another. 

8 minutes ago, The Zebra said:

What about top officials from each semi state get together with the Indiana mat crew on a podcast and debate it, as well as the team state coaches rank officials as well?  Of course I’m just spitballing here, but I think somehow we could make it work in one form or another. 

I'll agree that officials are going to be the best judge of other officials. But the problem with this idea, especially on a podcast, is that officials have to have each others backs. For any official to be rating other officials in any kind of public venue is taboo.

Edited by SIACfan

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.