Regional Wrestlebacks

Coach AJ

While wrestle-backs are always ideal I think it’s much less of an issue at the Regional level than at Semi-State and State where “luck of the draw” can become a bigger factor.  Sure occasional upsets in round 1 of a Regional may occur but they rarely impact who ends up advancing to state like the ticket round of Semi-State or where you could place in state like the quarters of State.  Due to the increased competition and “luck of the draw” occurring more at those levels I’d fight for that before Regional wrestle-back.   But I also think the Regional round of state kinda a small jump from Sectionals since it only had two locations feeding into one regional,  where as, the rest of the rounds have a bigger jump in competition and bracket size since four locations feeding into one.  

1 hour ago, Coach Nieman said:

Yes. For one year there were wrestlebacks for true fifth at regional and semistate.

In think the goal was to see if it would help better determine a better team score and a true alternate for the next round.  But I guess enough people complained the added round took a little extra time, fifth wasn’t a useful goal like making it to placement to advance, and that few alternate made it to the next round.  So they dropped it after that.   I agree the just going to 5th argument was a killer, but no one should be complaining about the added time if it means affording everyone a chance to prove their spot that day. 

I think its a moot point to argue.  The IHSAA executive committee, the entity who has the power to change policy and rules like implementing wrestle backs into regionals, SS over state  has proven in past requests to not like or approve of wrestlebacks, nor IMO do they have much understanding of wrestlebacks.

Yes, wrestlebacks is an efficient and effective way to obtain proper placing in wrestling and due to the individual matchup nature of wrestling, its somewhat unique and essential to it.   

To my point, the majority of  IHSAA Committee is made up athletic directors whose coaching background is mostly and basketball and football with a couple of exceptions like a baseball softball or maybe a cross country coach.   I could be wrong,  I don't think there's any former wrestling coaches on the board.  With that said,  there's not an equivalent of wrestlebacks in basketball, football, softball, cross country or swimming.    I think their thought process is if you don't do it in basketball or football,  why should wrestling get the benefit.  So maybe we need to lobby to get some former wrestling coaches on the executive committee to get some representation for our sport.

What would be the thoughts of adding an additional week of the tournament to get wrestle backs at each round? Say you put a "District" round between Sectionals and Regionals. Keep the Sectionals current as reducing down from 300+ (theoretically) to 128. Districts being the current regionals of 128 to 64. Then Regionals 64 to 32 and Semis State 32 to 16 and then 16 to 1 at State. All rounds having wrestle backs to 3rd. Lose the 1st match Friday at state earns you another Friday night match (start it earlier is my preference as the wait sucks) or early Saturday morning match before being eliminated.

10 hours ago, casualwrestlingfan said:

What would be the thoughts of adding an additional week of the tournament to get wrestle backs at each round? Say you put a "District" round between Sectionals and Regionals. Keep the Sectionals current as reducing down from 300+ (theoretically) to 128. Districts being the current regionals of 128 to 64. Then Regionals 64 to 32 and Semis State 32 to 16 and then 16 to 1 at State. All rounds having wrestle backs to 3rd. Lose the 1st match Friday at state earns you another Friday night match (start it earlier is my preference as the wait sucks) or early Saturday morning match before being eliminated.

I believe we already have one of the longest state tournament series at 4 weeks.  Most are 3 and some are 2.  Yeah those shorter series have a longer finals weekend as well but the overall length is short.  In my opinion the grind of a state tournament mentally and physically for 4 weeks is already enough.

Edited by bsisson

8 minutes ago, bsisson said:

I believe we already have one of the longest state tournament series at 4 weeks.  Most are 3 and some are 2.  Yeah those shorter series have a longer finals weekend as well but the overall length is short.  In my opinion the grind of a state tournament mentally and physically for 4 weeks is already enough.

And realistically, there is no way the IHSAA would give us another weekend even if we did all want it.

7 minutes ago, bsisson said:

And this comes from a man that would have def benefitted from a wrestle back at the state finals.  Brandon has the experience as a wrestler and a coach.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.