USA vs PA State Champs “Pittsburgh Classic”

Perseverance

Silas Allred has been chosen to represent the Team USA All-Stars at the “Rose Bowl of Wrestling”.....The Pittsburgh Classic.  An all senior event for 50+ years, Silas will represent the 195lbs weight class. The event will take place March 14th, at Fitzgerald Fieldhouse on the University of Pittsburgh campus.  The dual meet will not have the 106-113-or heavyweight division.  Rather....it will be 120-220, and have 2 matches at 138 & 195.  Silas (#2 via Flo) will be squaring off against PA State Champ and Michigan commit Gage Garcia #3.
Tremendous honor for Silas to be selected and represent Shenandoah High School, CIA Wrestling, Indiana Wrestling, as well as his future Nebraska Cornhuskers at this prestigious event.

Other notable participants and match-ups.....

Serrano USA132 (Nebraska Commit)

138lbs.....1-4 in the country.

182lbs Poznanski NJ (Rutgers) vs Neijhous (Purdue).
195 Christensen (Iowa commit) vs Stout (Princeton)

220lbs Braxton Amos USA (Wisconsin)

I’ve been told complete lineups will be available online soon.  These are simply what I remember through phone conversation. Tickets are now available, and the event will be broadcasted on Flo. 

4 minutes ago, base said:

Congratulations!  Will the 2 winners @ 195 wrestle each other?

What’s so ironic about you asking that.....is that I asked the tourney director the same thing! Lol 

He also chuckled, but specified it’s strictly dual format.  Unfortunately of course.  Would’ve loved for Silas to get an opportunity at both Garcia & Stout in the same weekend! That said.....Garcia is a match we’ve wanted for over a year.  It’ll be a great challenge.  Big strong bruiser who likes physicality.  He’s playing football for Michigan as well.  We feel Silas will be a tough match-up for him though.  Silas’ ability to handfight well by high school standards, coupled with his variation of no tie offense, creates tough preparation for competitors.  Really looking forward to the challenge.

But that said......he’ll stay zoned in for the time being, treating every match of State Series equally.  Nobody will be overlooked, or taken lightly. 

2 hours ago, Perseverance said:

What’s so ironic about you asking that.....is that I asked the tourney director the same thing! Lol 

He also chuckled, but specified it’s strictly dual format.  Unfortunately of course.  Would’ve loved for Silas to get an opportunity at both Garcia & Stout in the same weekend! That said.....Garcia is a match we’ve wanted for over a year.  It’ll be a great challenge.  Big strong bruiser who likes physicality.  He’s playing football for Michigan as well.  We feel Silas will be a tough match-up for him though.  Silas’ ability to handfight well by high school standards, coupled with his variation of no tie offense, creates tough preparation for competitors.  Really looking forward to the challenge.

But that said......he’ll stay zoned in for the time being, treating every match of State Series equally.  Nobody will be overlooked, or taken lightly. 

Depending on how our sectional goes, I may request that he take his first round match at regional lightly.

1 hour ago, Coach Nieman said:

Depending on how our sectional goes, I may request that he take his first round match at regional lightly.

Understood. Allow me to clarify a bit.  Silas is obviously a high character first type of young man.  That said.....he has very good feel.  If an initial takedown, pushback in the tie, etc....spells inexperience or extremely lopsided athletic/physical inferiority, he’d never bully a young man.  That’s just not who he is.  Most are aware that he’s not the showboating type, or excessive mat returns just because he can.  Make sense?

Any wrestler he faces will get 100% and not be overlooked.  He’ll stay hungry & humble.  But there’s also levels to that type of output as you’re obviously aware. He knows when to say when and just end a match with integrity. 👍

4 minutes ago, Coach Nieman said:

I knew what you meant. He actually wrestled a freshman of mine last year at regionals that was there as an alternate. Takedown, pin, super respectful to both my wrestler and myself. He's a good apple.

This really has me torn, being a lifetime Indiana resident it kills me to see the bread and butter of Indiana flee the state to do great things for out of state schools. Im selfish,. Indiana produces AA talent in big quantities every year.

27 minutes ago, Coach Nieman said:

I knew what you meant. He actually wrestled a freshman of mine last year at regionals that was there as an alternate. Takedown, pin, super respectful to both my wrestler and myself. He's a good apple.

Thank you brother. Genuinely appreciate you saying that.

19 minutes ago, Disco said:

This really has me torn, being a lifetime Indiana resident it kills me to see the bread and butter of Indiana flee the state to do great things for out of state schools. Im selfish,. Indiana produces AA talent in big quantities every year.

I don’t fault your sentiments one bit.  Admittedly....IU & Purdue were 2 of his last 5 choices for a reason.  Coach Todd’s subsequent departure to Missouri from Purdue played a big part of ruling themselves out so to speak. We think a great deal of Coach Ersland, and are truly excited to see his plan beginning to come together.  Silas has a great relationship with multiple Purdue wrestlers, and wrestled with them semi-regularly during the national season.

And full transparency.......our hardest conversation was with Coach Escobedo.  Wrestling aside.....he’s just a tremendous human.  His vision, work ethic and spiritual convictions are going to undoubtedly raise the bar in Bloomington. He and I still talk occasionally as friends & brothers in faith, and Silas will always remain a part of the growth of Indiana Wrestling.  Even if intermittently throughout his college, international and probable MMA career through their RTC’s. 

Ultimately.....Lincoln was the perfect fit for Silas. Coach Manning embodies all the attributes we collectively sought in a Head Coach.  Their resume’s for AA’s speak for itself, and of course the international experience in their RTC is phenomenal. They seem to be only a couple pieces away from a legit opportunity at Team National Champions.  I’m confident Silas’ relentless drive and coachable demeanor will be an integral part of that goal. He will have tremendous partners in Schultz & Venz beginning this summer.  Former Husker Hammer TJ Dudley will also be huge in Silas’ continued growth on the mat.  Zero regrets in the decision my friend.  And let’s face it....100% for 5yrs speaks volumes for their commitment to him as well. 🙂

22 minutes ago, Perseverance said:

I don’t fault your sentiments one bit.  Admittedly....IU & Purdue were 2 of his last 5 choices for a reason.  Coach Todd’s subsequent departure to Missouri from Purdue played a big part of ruling themselves out so to speak. We think a great deal of Coach Ersland, and are truly excited to see his plan beginning to come together.  Silas has a great relationship with multiple Purdue wrestlers, and wrestled with them semi-regularly during the national season.

And full transparency.......our hardest conversation was with Coach Escobedo.  Wrestling aside.....he’s just a tremendous human.  His vision, work ethic and spiritual convictions are going to undoubtedly raise the bar in Bloomington. He and I still talk occasionally as friends & brothers in faith, and Silas will always remain a part of the growth of Indiana Wrestling.  Even if intermittently throughout his college, international and probable MMA career through their RTC’s. 

Ultimately.....Lincoln was the perfect fit for Silas. Coach Manning embodies all the attributes we collectively sought in a Head Coach.  Their resume’s for AA’s speak for itself, and of course the international experience in their RTC is phenomenal. They seem to be only a couple pieces away from a legit opportunity at Team National Champions.  I’m confident Silas’ relentless drive and coachable demeanor will be an integral part of that goal. He will have tremendous partners in Schultz & Venz beginning this summer.  Former Husker Hammer TJ Dudley will also be huge in Silas’ continued growth on the mat.  Zero regrets in the decision my friend.  And let’s face it....100% for 5yrs speaks volumes for their commitment to him as well. 🙂

When and if he does go the mma route American top team in Florida sponsor and accommodate high level wrestlers that can come into their system and help with the wrestling part of their camp.. They take very good care of their Guys and even pay them to teach the art to their other fighters..Silas would make a great fighter 1 day also having a degree ensures he's not doing it to survive but to compete at the highest level. 

33 minutes ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

When and if he does go the mma route American top team in Florida sponsor and accommodate high level wrestlers that can come into their system and help with the wrestling part of their camp.. They take very good care of their Guys and even pay them to teach the art to their other fighters..Silas would make a great fighter 1 day also having a degree ensures he's not doing it to survive but to compete at the highest level. 

Appreciate the insight brother.  And yeah man....the business degree has a specific purpose based on his long term strategy.  In regards to the MMA dynamic, Nebraska’s RTC & Sunkist Kids have a very close relationship. In fact, Coach Maple (prior to going to Mizzou) shared with us that a couple former wrestlers were given a fast track into Cormier’s camp.  But admittedly.....at this point, his sole focus his wrestling.  He works his hands as another cardio dynamic. The kid just hits hard too! 😂  But nowadays....darn near everyone in MMA has heavy hands.  🤷🏻‍♂️

24 minutes ago, Perseverance said:

Appreciate the insight brother.  And yeah man....the business degree has a specific purpose based on his long term strategy.  In regards to the MMA dynamic, Nebraska’s RTC & Sunkist Kids have a very close relationship. In fact, Coach Maple (prior to going to Mizzou) shared with us that a couple former wrestlers were given a fast track into Cormier’s camp.  But admittedly.....at this point, his sole focus his wrestling.  He works his hands as another cardio dynamic. The kid just hits hard too! 😂  But nowadays....darn near everyone in MMA has heavy hands.  🤷🏻‍♂️

Guaranteed he hits like a truck!  And yes high level wrestlers always get taken care of... Bellator has made it their #1 priority to sign blue chipper wrestlers.. Romero Cotton, Pico,Trice,Ruth,Cunningham, Caldwell and Fortune to name a few.. they signed Pico to a very lucrative contract at 17.

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

Cant wait to see Silas in action. 

I will say that Braxton Amos has been in the Ohio U room and has rolled with Carson a few times (Ohio is close to where Amos lives). Every time he comes to RTC, coaches call Carson and he runs across the parking lot to bang with him (his dorm is across the lot). Looking forward to seeing him in action also. 

@Perseverance can we get a full line up for both teams? 

7 minutes ago, Mattyb said:

Cant wait to see Silas in action. 

I will say that Braxton Amos has been in the Ohio U room and has rolled with Carson a few times (Ohio is close to where Amos lives). Every time he comes to RTC, coaches call Carson and he runs across the parking lot to bang with him (his dorm is across the lot). Looking forward to seeing him in action also. 

@Perseverance can we get a full line up for both teams? 

Thanks Matt. Good hearing from you man. My good friend Coach Slivka has shared with me a lot of positives about Carson.  Genuinely looking forward to following your sons continued development as well.  And yeah brother....Amos being from WV, just a quick trip over the bridge 😏.

That’s undoubtedly great looks for both young men.  Amos’ physicality will force Carson to have to create angles with adequate set-ups to finish on a heavy hipped cat like him. And on the other side....CB’s speed, elusiveness, and dynamic offense on his feet....force Amos to have to continue improving his leg defense against elite offensive wrestlers.  I like that set of “iron sharpening iron” ALOT.

Ill share full lineups when they’re posted publicly.  Admittedly....I shared what I remembered through phone conversation. Darn near every class is 1-5 in the country. Only a couple I remember drew a little lower in the 6 or 7 range.  Admittedly....I’m pretty anxious to see each match-up on paper myself 😏

52 minutes ago, Jack Jones said:

Off topic, but do they still hold the High School Nationals in PA for seniors who have placed 1st or 2nd in the state in their career, or is that no longer a thing?

I honestly don’t know man. I crossed referenced the NWCA Website for any info on such an event, but found nothing.  NHSCA popped up on a quick google search, but that’s obviously in VA.  Kinda similar but don’t require Champion or Runner-Up status.  I’m sorry I can’t be more help. I’ll have to defer your question to someone reading who has much more extensive knowledge of National level tourney history.  Admittedly.....prior to about 6 yrs ago, my tournament knowledge consisted of ISWA and Wrestlemania. 😂  I’m still a greenhorn compared to most on this site I’m sure. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’ll only add that Coach Bryan Bailey shares with me his opportunity to wrestle in the above tourney if not for an arm injury in his competing days.  He specified it was called...Pittsburgh Press Invitational.  Maybe that’s what you remember?  Dunno honestly.  Just speculative info in hopes to help you gain clarity brother.

32 minutes ago, Jack Jones said:

The one I wrestled in was strictly for seniors that placed first or second in their respected state tourney anytime during their career. I appreciate the effort!

The NHSCA Nationals are held in Virginia Beach, they allow anyone to enter now at each grade level.

Ah the days when that particular “Senior Nationals” is event was the only major national tournament around to prove you were the best HS wrestler in the country.  Those were the days when most kids stuck to their region of the country until this event.  Now people travel to events across the nation all the time and we have several pre/post season national event.  Great opportunities but as far as ranking almost too many these days to really see all the top HS guys together.

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.