Flo Hodge Rankings

For the past several weeks Flo has posted their best guess at the Dan Hodge Trophy rankings. The criteria for the Hodge is:

1. A wrestler's record
  2. Number of pins
  3. Dominance on the mat
  4. Past credentials
  5. Quality of competition
  6. Sportsmanship/Citizenship
  7. Heart

Flo only considers undefeated wrestlers. They use pin % rather absolute number of pins. They create a dominance score that includes things like average time on the mat. Past credentials include prior NCAA placement and other things. Quality of comp is pretty straight forward. they make no attempt to determine sportsmanship/citizenship  or heart.

The notable thing about this week is that there are 2 Indiana boys on their list for the first time I can remember. Nick Lee moves up to 8 from 9 last week. And Mason Parris takes his bow at 11.

At least two guys above Parris will be eliminated in the coming weeks as Joseph (4) battles Marinelli (5) Friday. And Pletcher (7) battles Lee (8) in a few weeks. 

In certain years, it seems like Parris could be a Hodge trophy contender with how dominant he is over 98% of his weight, but man there are so many stars this year. It's really conceivable that Spencer Lee, Deakin, Hall, Valencia, and Moore all cruise to undefeated titles carrying strong credentials with them. Plus, whoever turns out to have the upper hand in the Joseph/Marinelli and Nick Lee/Pletcher battles could be undefeated too. Not to mention Mason would have to beat Cassioppi next weekend, both Cassioppi and Steveson at Big 10s, and one or two of them again at nationals to run the table. Crowded, crowded field of credentialed candidates for the Hodge, that's for sure.

While I agree its crowded I cant see anyone beyond the top four guys winning it this year because of the past credentials criteria. N Lee, Pletcher, Parris, etc. just don't have the prior resume with top finishes at NCAAs. Among Valencia, S Lee, Hall and Joseph there are 7 first place and 4 second place finishes in their 11 trips to the NCAAs. If they all go undefeated I am guessing it is Valencia's to lose, but wouldn't be surprised by S Lee. I think Hall and Joseph need the other guys to lose. Anyone below that probably needs everyone above them to lose. But it is a tremendous honor to be on that list at this point in the season.

I agree it will be one of those 4 guys, and I agree that odds would have to favor Valencia. He'd have overall accomplishments over S Lee and Hall slightly and it's hard to put strong odds on Joseph when his personal kryptonite in Marinelli will be in his bracket.

Thanks.

I'm pretty excited. I've never been to Carver Hawkeye Arena or anything else really comparable, I am guessing. I have been to a bunch of IHSAA championships (which always rocks, but never more so than 2016) and college duals at smaller Big 10 programs like UofI and Northwestern, but nothing like an arena like this for a 1v2 dual between two very heated rivals. Even my wife is excited about going.

My only disappointment is that I just read on Flo that Murin is hurt. Lee will get Carter Happel instead apparently. I like the idea of steel sharpens steel better.

3 minutes ago, wrestlenewbie said:

Thanks.

I'm pretty excited. I've never been to Carver Hawkeye Arena or anything else really comparable, I am guessing. I have been to a bunch of IHSAA championships (which always rocks, but never more so than 2016) and college duals at smaller Big 10 programs like UofI and Northwestern, but nothing like an arena like this for a 1v2 dual between two very heated rivals. Even my wife is excited about going.

My only disappointment is that I just read on Flo that Murin is hurt. Lee will get Carter Happel instead apparently. I like the idea of steel sharpens steel better.

Don’t be surprised if a few more changes happen in the lineups before they get to the mat. Remember, these guys will face each other in a month or so at the big tournament in March.  Then NCAA’s No need to knock Anyone’s seeding down before they have to. So it’s a possibility some of these guys don’t need to wrestle each other right now.  

10 minutes ago, Disco said:

Don’t be surprised if a few more changes happen in the lineups before they get to the mat. Remember, these guys will face each other in a month or so at the big tournament in March.  Then NCAA’s No need to knock Anyone’s seeding down before they have to. So it’s a possibility some of these guys don’t need to wrestle each other right now.  

Don't say it out loud for fear you make it come true.

One of the things I hated, hated, hated about last year was how the Big 10 handled Mikey Carr's seed. Even though he didn't wrestle Nick Lee or Joey McKenna he still got the top seed. Then he got blitzed at Big 10s and NCAAs. I can only guess he was dealing with some sort of injury and I empathize with that, but the seeding seemed wrong to me. And after seeing that example another coach might be tempted to "manage" the situation with or without injury.

That's fine.  Nick owes Happel one!  Happel beat Nick in the FILA Cadet National Final in 2014.  Nick may have beaten him at some point between then and now, but beating him in front of the home crowd would be nice to see.

Flo posted their update to the rankings this morning.

The good news is Nick Lee moves up two slots to number 6 after his teammate, Mark Hall, gets Carvered for the second time. And Mason Parris moves up a slot to number 10.

The bad news is it is moot as it appears that the award is Zahid Valencia's or Spencer Lee's to lose.

What they had to say:

10) Mason Parris (Michigan), 285

The three youngest guys on this list are Parris, Gable, and RBY, all coming out of the class of 2018. This past weekend, Parris sealed the Wolverines' win over Rutgers with a first period pin, after which he shushed the crowd at Madison Square Garden. He'll be looking for revenge this weekend over Cassioppi in Michigan's final home dual of the season.

Dominance Score - 4.33

Bonus Rate -62%

Average Time on Mat - 5:14

6) Nick Lee (Penn State), 141 

Can we skip ahead to that February 15th match against Luke Pletcher at the Bryce Jordan Center? Lee earned a pair of techs this weekend, but neither guy is a likely NCAA qualifier.

Dominance Score - 4.86

Bonus Rate - 93%

Average Time on Mat - 5:30

As an aside, how insane is it that Spencer Lee's average time on the mat is 2:58?

A couple of notes on the Carver Hawkeye Arena experience since we discussed it a little above. If you haven't been to a dual meet there I could not recommend it high enough. 16,000 absolutely rabid fans who love their wrestling and love their Hawkeyes even more in a beautiful facility.

For SWINfan, Lee paid Happel all he could handle. Happel is owed nothing now. The crowd was almost silent as it was happening. We all knew what was going to happen and it did. It was like when Joe Pesci as Vinny says to the neighbor of the Sack and Suds, "Come on, you can say it. They all know."

On the flip side, when Kemerer got his final takedown to seal the deal against Hall, I have never felt an explosion from a crowd that was even close to that. The noise was downright disorienting. It was amazing. And it lasted at the decibel level for a solid minute.

Very glad I went. You should too.

• 2 weeks later...

Indiana is on the move this week. Nick Lee moves up to number 5 from number 6. His two impressive wins from the weekend were enough for him to bump above Kollin Moore even though Moore is still undefeated.

The big mover is Mason Parris. He jumps 2 spots (from 10th to 8th) after manhandling Cassioppi. In the process he leap frogs Steveson.

What they had to say:

😎 Mason Parris (Michigan), 285

The hardest part about this week was figuring out where to put Mason Parris after he #3 pinned Tony Cassioppi of Iowa. I make no bones about the fact that there is an element of prediction to this list, and I'm still not sure if Parris can beat Gable. But I also have to give credit where it's due. The Wolverine sophomore won CKLV, which Gable was not at, and wrestled in the Minnesota dual while Gable did not. He's also got a better pin rate (36.4% to 30%) and a better average time on the mat, not to mention more ranked wins and better quality of competition.

Dominance Score - 4.41

Bonus Rate - 64%

Average Time on Mat - 5:12

Ranked Wins - 8 (6)

5) Nick Lee (Penn State), 141 

What a weekend for Nick Lee, who pulls into a dead heat with Luke Pletcher heading into their mega showdown on Saturday. After majoring Tristan Moran and pinning Mitch McKee it now leaves them with nine common opponents. Using dual scoring, they have both scored 40 points against those foes, with Pletcher having a better result in five of the four matches. I'm still skeptical that either Lee or Pletcher can go three-for-three against the other, so this all might be a wash.

Dominance Score - 4.875

Bonus Rate - 94%

Average Time on Mat - 5:22

Ranked Wins - 6

2 hours ago, wrestlenewbie said:

One other item of note. Nick Lee is now tied for second in the country at the dominance score. Spencer Lee is averaging 5 points per match (converting tourney results into dual scoring format) while Zahid Valencia and Nick Lee are averaging 4.875.

He's gonna beat pletcher by 3 or more, calling it now!

One through three were unchanged. Lee, Valencia, Joseph. Last week's four, Kollin Moore got dropped below Pletcher and Lee to sixth. Kemerer at seven. Parris leapfrogs to eight over Steveson and Deakin, dropping them to nine and ten, respectively. 

Cassioppi was thirteen on the Hodge list and three in their heavyweight rankings. He is now off the Hodge list, but keeps his number three heavyweight ranking.

Flo typically does not sing your ranking if you lose to someone above you.

Edited by wrestlenewbie

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, FANMAN said:

WOW... hard to believe, if it’s true and indefinite, can move Lee an Parris up a spot.  

https://intermatwrestle.com/articles/23248

Came to basically say this.  Crazy situation for arguably the pound for pound top wrestler this close to the end of the season.  Regardless of the result I just hope a clear answer to the issue/suspension can be give before the Championship begins. 

Flo posted their latest rankings this morning. The state of Indiana gains four slots total as both Parris and Lee jump up 2 spots each to number 6 and number 3, respectively.

What they had to say:

6) Mason Parris (Michigan), 285

Now that we got to see Lee/Pletcher, the most anticipated Big Ten final will be Mason Parris against Gable Steveson. His 36-percent pin rate is behind only that of Vincenzo Joseph, and he has wins over the guys ranked third through sixth in his weight class. Whether or not he ends up a Hodge finalist, Parris has been a bright spot for this Wolverines team and only helps the case that Michigan can be a trophy team when their guys on Olympic Redshirt return.

Dominance Score - 4.4

Bonus Rate - 64%

Average Time on Mat - 5:13

Ranked Wins - 7

3) Nick Lee (Penn State), 141

Lee won the mega matchup with Luke Pletcher, winning the takedown battle, picking up a stall point, and earning riding time. Combined with his wins over Jaydin Eierman and Frank Molinaro at Senior Nationals, it's clear the Indiana native has jumped levels in his third season. He'll play a huge part in the Nittany Lions' trying to fend off Iowa to win their fifth consecutive team title.

Dominance Score - 4.67

Bonus Rate - 83%

Average Time on Mat - 5:33

Ranked Wins - 7

How Flo sees it 1 - 13

Rank Name School Wins Pin Tech Major
1 Spencer Lee Iowa 14 3 8 2
2 Vincenzo Joseph Penn State 13 5 1 3
3 Nick Lee Penn State 18 4 7 4
4 Kollin Moore Ohio State 23 3 6 8
5 Michael Kemerer Iowa 13 2 3 3
6 Mason Parris Michigan 25 9 1 6