Scratch Weight

Hornet Coach

28 minutes ago, Clint Gard said:

Did you know that if you don't have 6 qualifying weigh-ins, you can still be entered and wrestle at sectionals, you just can't be seeded unless all of the head coaches agree, at the seeding meeting, to seed the wrestler.

Explain that one...

This was mentioned in the above scenario.  The coaches voted to seed the kid if he is wrestling.  The powers at be think that not seeding a kid is an appropriate punishment.  They don't understand that if the unseeded wrestler beats a good kid first round there is a good chance to face a seeded wrestler in the consolation semis.  

I don't know this case, so wont try to judge the right thing do to in this specific case.  But, it is not a hard to get a the qualified weigh-in that you need to wrestle in Sectional in most cases.  Even if you are ineligible to wrestle (grades, sickness, injury) you can still have the opportunity to weigh-in with the team at any event they go to including JV ones.  It's a weigh-in only, so you don't even participate in the event.  Not to mention I've seen coaches travel to other schools events just to to weigh their kids in when something like a  snow issue had canceled one of their final meets before sectionals.  This is being responsible and resourceful rather than waiting to the last minute and rolling the dice (see my previous post about my thoughts on that one).  So in 99% of cases I can't see how you are not afforded plenty of opportunity to qualify at a specific weight class between the start of the season and the Sectional seed meeting.  

Edited by MattM

We had a kid that we didn't catch in time that fell below his allowed lowest weight and it screwed us for sectionals. The thing was he weighed 160 and wrestled 170 so it wasn't on purpose and would have been much better for him to gain more weight. I think it was a bad fat test.

2 hours ago, Hornet Coach said:

This is the same wrestler that wrestled 106 (108) at the conference meet and did not enter the weigh in room until the 145 pounders were on the scale (the weigh-ins started at the 106 pound class).  For some reason, he was able to weigh in and wrestle when he obviously did not follow the same rules as everyone else.  When the ref was asked why he is able to wrestle, during the coaches meeting, he stated, I was not the ref that allowed him to weigh in so I don't have an answer for you (this was questioned by multiple coaches).  It's just frustrating when we, as coaches, work very hard to abide by the rules and do things right, and then you have others that are not playing by the same rules.  I was trying to give the benefit of the doubt and try to see if anyone knew of a legitimate reason why the waiver was given, and as of now, I haven't heard one.

I sure hope this isn't true. Waiver? How can you get a waiver to overrule an IHSAA rule that every wrestler needs to abide by? I again hope this isn't true, but it seems some coaches at the seeding meeting have already confirmed it on the forum. It's like Hornet Coach said, Coaches work hard and work hard for their wrestlers to follow the rules. Our 106 pounder and many others only weigh between 90 & 100 lbs. Of all weights to allow a waiver, it shouldn't happen at 106. It shouldn't happen at any weight class but especially 106. Unacceptable.

55 minutes ago, MattM said:

WRFan:

Your post was well on its ways to being liked by someone then you may have messed it all up with that School Name.  :)

Ha. I try to stay out of the business of making comments. 🤐 In this situation, I had to chime in. It's frustrating. I'll change my profile school when I get a chance, but this may very well be my last post anyway. LOL.

Edited by WRFan

2 hours ago, Clint Gard said:

Did you know that if you don't have 6 qualifying weigh-ins, you can still be entered and wrestle at sectionals, you just can't be seeded unless all of the head coaches agree, at the seeding meeting, to seed the wrestler.

Explain that one...

Then what is the point of having the rule in place? Basically if you compete within the loop of Indy you pretty much get the IHSAA to turn their heads on issues that they put the hammer down in the rest of the state. It's not just with wrestling.

1 hour ago, littlevito said:

Then what is the point of having the rule in place? Basically if you compete within the loop of Indy you pretty much get the IHSAA to turn their heads on issues that they put the hammer down in the rest of the state. It's not just with wrestling.

I can't speak to the Indy schools getting preferential treatment or any school for that matter.  I'm simply putting it out there.  I'm frustrated because we did it right and, obviously, doing it right or following the rules is just a suggestion by the IHSAA and RF.

Someone needs to explain this to me...

Peru Sectional is told by RF that a wrestler without enough qualifying weigh-ins can wrestle but can't be seeded unless the coaches vote unanimously to seed the wrestler.  2 years in a row.

Plymouth Sectional has team with a young man that doesn't have 6 qualifying and he is not even allowed to wrestle.

As an association why are we allowing this to happen to our sport?  Why are we allowing RF to make a mockery of the rules and our sport? 

We also have a wrestler that does not have the 6 qualifying weigh ins, and were told by our AD that we could not enter him because of the rule that is in place.  Wish we could have known about getting a waiver for him to wrestle in sectionals.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.