Scratch Weight

Hornet Coach

If this is a rule, how can someone be eligible to wrestle in the sectional at a weight class without making scratch weight?

(1) of the qualifying weigh-ins must be at scratch weight for the weight class the wrestler is entered into the IHSAA tournament series. A weigh-in at scratch weight is defined as a wrestler weighing in at or below the actual poundage of the weight class (i.e. – a wrestler weighs in at 112.9 achieves a scratch weigh in for the 113 pound weight class) 

Edited by Hornet Coach

21 minutes ago, Hornet Coach said:

If this is a rule, how can someone be eligible to wrestle in the sectional at a weight class without making scratch weight?

(1) of the qualifying weigh-ins must be at scratch weight for the weight class the wrestler is entered into the IHSAA tournament series. A weigh-in at scratch weight is defined as a wrestler weighing in at or below the actual poundage of the weight class (i.e. – a wrestler weighs in at 112.9 achieves a scratch weigh in for the 113 pound weight class) 

You aren't eligible at that weight if you didn't make scratch. 

17 minutes ago, Hornet Coach said:

Ok, so I guess there was a waiver signed.  Does anyone know the rules or stipulations that would allow the athlete to get such a waiver when the athlete never made scratch weight?

Just lay it out there. Who’s pulling a fast one? The people need to know!!! 🤔

Too may people are cryptic on here. Let it fly! Don’t let the Wang Chung masters on this forum scare you. 

35 minutes ago, Hornet Coach said:

Ok, so I guess there was a waiver signed.  Does anyone know the rules or stipulations that would allow the athlete to get such a waiver when the athlete never made scratch weight?

The only thing I know is there can be a waiver for not getting 6 weigh-ins if there has been canceled meets that take away a weigh-in or not having a full schedule. We ran into this issue back in 2013-2014 when there was a lot of snow and meets being canceled and rescheduled. I don't think I've heard of one for scratch weight though.

1 hour ago, Hornet Coach said:

I've never heard of a waiver that allows a wrestler to not need a scratch weigh in for their sectional weight. Even guys with injuries or skin funk can step on the scale throughout the year.

1 hour ago, Y2CJ41 said:

This is one of those times that we don't have all the information. I surely hope that the kid made scratch weight, but maybe it wasn't a "green" weigh-in due to a previous weigh-in that was a little high.

^

BG coach is not out of pocket as we were told at the seeding meeting that a wrestler did not make scratch weight, but the wrestler had a waiver to wrestle in that class.  After further investigation it appears that the wrestler did wrestle in that class at least one time before Christmas, so he would have made scratch.  His scratch weight was not a "qualifying" weigh-in.  Still a bunch of garbage as many wrestlers/coaches go to a great deal of trouble making sure kids don't weigh-in too light or too heavy from meet to meet just to make sure the weigh-in is "green." 

31 minutes ago, Timeinandout said:

^

BG coach is not out of pocket as we were told at the seeding meeting that a wrestler did not make scratch weight, but the wrestler had a waiver to wrestle in that class.  After further investigation it appears that the wrestler did wrestle in that class at least one time before Christmas, so he would have made scratch.  His scratch weight was not a "qualifying" weigh-in.  Still a bunch of garbage as many wrestlers/coaches go to a great deal of trouble making sure kids don't weigh-in too light or too heavy from meet to meet just to make sure the weigh-in is "green." 

Winchester had to bump a kid up a weight class at our meeting because his scratch weight weigh-in was red.  I wonder what the waiver process is and how do you get one....

It’s all about who you ask, what day it is, what they already know about how wrestling actually works, and how much time they have to decide if one wrestlers/coach gets “a pass” on an issues or another one doesn’t.  Sadly sometimes it is also who already knows who well too.

Most coaches just wish their was some consistency with the decisions and in most cases a memo ahead of time explaining any adjustments to the state’s rules prior to the event.  There is always a couple special circumstances that pop up the day of, but most situations could have been addressed prior and the rest of the state made aware.  And if it was not then that should be whoever dropped the ball (wrestler/parent, coach, AD, IHSAA) rather than the rest of the state not being given the same warning/courtesy.   

Edited by MattM

1 hour ago, Timeinandout said:

^

Not to mentioned he had the whole month of January to make scratch. I had a year where a wrestler didn't make a qualifying scratch weight until the last meet of the year... We got to weigh-ins and he weighed 106.1(was trying to go 106) we asked the ref if we could challenge on a different scale and the ref looked at us like we were dumb and reminded us he had 2 pounds. We explained what was going on and at first he wasn't going to allow it but an other ref stepped in and said it was ok and the kid made 105.9 on an other scale and that was his scratch last weigh-in of the season. The point is there shouldn't be an excuse for making scratch unless it's a state known thing. We did everything we could cause as far as we knew there was no waiver. If there was we should have known about it in advance. Not that I think there should be one for making scratch weight but if there was every coach should know of it.

2 hours ago, aoberlin said:

I remember when you use to be able to just coach and the kids could try to bounce up and down to make the scale move.

A certain former state championship program used to put mats under the scales to help their kids make weight at home meets. Another former powerhouse program used separate locker rooms for weigh ins at their Super duals, the locker room with all the tough teams had scales a half pound heavier. The good old days...

3 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

This is one of those times that we don't have all the information. I surely hope that the kid made scratch weight, but maybe it wasn't a "green" weigh-in due to a previous weigh-in that was a little high.

Can there be a green weigh-in that is a little high?

25 minutes ago, greco165 said:

A certain former state championship program used to put mats under the scales to help their kids make weight at home meets. Another former powerhouse program used separate locker rooms for weigh ins at their Super duals, the locker room with all the tough teams had scales a half pound heavier. The good old days...

La la la la la la la la 

(Picture my fingers stuck in my ears.)

20 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

You can get a waiver for a red weight?

What’s the point of the 1.5% rule then?

This is the same wrestler that wrestled 106 (108) at the conference meet and did not enter the weigh in room until the 145 pounders were on the scale (the weigh-ins started at the 106 pound class).  For some reason, he was able to weigh in and wrestle when he obviously did not follow the same rules as everyone else.  When the ref was asked why he is able to wrestle, during the coaches meeting, he stated, I was not the ref that allowed him to weigh in so I don't have an answer for you (this was questioned by multiple coaches).  It's just frustrating when we, as coaches, work very hard to abide by the rules and do things right, and then you have others that are not playing by the same rules.  I was trying to give the benefit of the doubt and try to see if anyone knew of a legitimate reason why the waiver was given, and as of now, I haven't heard one.

Edited by Hornet Coach

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.