Sectional Brackets

tskin

So I asked this last night at our meeting because the Winter bulletin said one thing but last year we did something different.

Winter Bulletin states that "pigtail" or round of 16 matches are available to anyone in the bracket.  Last year the IHSAA stated to put pigtail matches with the first and last drawn in wrestlers. 

Our sectional head contacted the IHSAA and they said to do it they way we did the previous year.

Now I am seeing other sectionals that didn't do it this way. (example Southport)

17 minutes ago, tskin said:

So I asked this last night at our meeting because the Winter bulletin said one thing but last year we did something different.

Winter Bulletin states that "pigtail" or round of 16 matches are available to anyone in the bracket.  Last year the IHSAA stated to put pigtail matches with the first and last drawn in wrestlers. 

Our sectional head contacted the IHSAA and they said to do it they way we did the previous year.

Now I am seeing other sectionals that didn't do it this way. (example Southport)

I believe there was controversy last year because a seeded guy isn’t supposed to be in a rat tail, only drawn in guys are.

15 hours ago, chinwhipper said:

The losers of the pigtails were not eliminated from the tournament.  They were able to wrestle back through the console bracket.  Maybe this is not how the IHSAA does the pigtails but that’s how it was ran with track at MD Holiday Tourney.  

In a sectional with more than 8 teams (I believe that all but 4 now), if a wrestler loses the pigtail match and continues to win in consols he would eventually reach the 5 match daily limit before competing in the 3/4th  it 5th/6th match.  Due to this the “powers that be” have decided it’s easier for the pigtail loser to be eliminated at the start rather than figure out an alternative solution.  Two day tournaments like the MD Classic can space out the pigtail matches enough to wrestle a max of 5 matches each day.  However, a one day sectional event can not space them the same way.   This is why most would like to see the pigtail match be between the lesser accomplished draw-in wrestlers, and those with a proven season result are given the best opportunity to prove they should advance.   The uneven distribution of pigtail matches is also why the 1st round of Sectional is not counted towards the overall team score.  

Although it’s unlikely a wrestler in that spot makes it all the way back to placement it still give them a chance and their team a opportunity to score points.  I’ve heard a couple solutions to this.   One is allow a one time only 6th match opportunity if someone is lucky enough to make it all the way back to the 3/4 match.  Two allow the wrestler to FF the final placement match which still give them a chance to score team points before that and if they make the 3/4 match lets them advance.  Finally the most unique option is wrestlers in this situation who make the 3/4 placement have that match moved to a pigtail before Regional.  Since Regionals only give you 3 matches a pigtail match won’t reach the 5 match limit and it won’t delay the Regional much since it a unique situation and would only adds a couple matches to the day at most.  

Edited by MattM

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.