Tough sectional brackets

18 minutes ago, NW Indiana Wrestling Fan said:

Post you’re toughest sectional brackets in here.. I’ll start...

AA5597DD-BD92-458A-B145-5FC510E3FFED.jpeg

It’s going to be tough to beat this bracket. The top three seeds have a combined record of 71-3. Wow!!

152 @ Carroll (FW) Sectional may not have the best combined record, nor the most top rated kids, but so far it has the most ranked wrestlers in one bracket.

#17 - Cody McCune (27-1)

ss #2 - Eli Hilger (25-1)

ss #4 - Scottie Saylor (24-7)

ss #7 - Carter Wireman (20-7)

ss #8 - Kolin Cope (23-4) 

3 minutes ago, tommyho said:

So SS qualifier out ranks w-l record ? Hmm that seems dumb , that should only be used if they have the same record and no common opponents . And I thought someone told me that solomey beat Diaz ? 

It's one of the IHSAA's ways to account for strength of schedule. If you made it to Semi-State Ticket Round the year before, you should be seeded over kids that haven't been there. You've proven you're good and may have more losses simply due to wrestling tougher competition. It's not easy to make that round, you have to win one at Semi-State, which eliminates some of the difference in Regional strength, and everyone starts with an equal shot to achieve it. W-L is a huge variant based off of who you schedule and how good they are. I, for one, would be extremely frustrated if they made this lower than W-L. It would de-incentivize (is that a word) scheduling tough competition for fear of getting crappy seeds. 

6 minutes ago, tommyho said:

So SS qualifier out ranks w-l record ? Hmm that seems dumb , that should only be used if they have the same record and no common opponents . And I thought someone told me that solomey beat Diaz ? 

Diaz best Solomey in overtime. 

30 minutes ago, tommyho said:

It also allows studs coming off injury with very little matches (i.e., Nick Lee 3-0) to get seeded properly.  And it replaced the "returning sectional champ or runner up at the same weight class" that caused incorrect seeds.  Overall, it was a good change.

Tough break for one half of the standout frosh Solomey boys of KV, but I'd say that match will take place anyway for third place as it doesn't really matter who is seeded where with two hammers on the bookends in Diaz and Bettich of the semifinals and I think Solomey will handle his Hebron opponent who has a decent record but also a frosh. With Cortez, Bettich, and Diaz all being seniors this weight class will be prime for one of those brothers to slide into the favorite perch.

Love Aiden Sneed's chances at 170 cruise and Celorio at 182 has a fair shot for KV to take home a title. JOnkman at 220 also will probably make the title match. If KV gets 3 titles in this field of wrestling rich schools and sends maybe 6 total I consider that a win for my alma. The middle school program has been around for decades and it seems club wrestling for elementary/intermediate is alive and well. It will need to stay that way to compete with Crown Point, Lake Central, Hanover alone...but even Hebron, Wheeler, and Boone Grove are nice little 500 or so student schools with relatively affluent communities representing them so they always churn out a few solid fellows per team.

I think I counted 18 forfeits on a cursory glace and a lot of those were Boone Grove. I think they only had 6-7 wrestlers, which is par for the course for their numbers typically. Lowell and Wheeler both had about 3-4 blanks and KV had a couple at 106 and HWT which happens often. Hanover had a spot or two open but I think Hebron had a whole team which is pretty darn good. Not sure if this is correct but they may be the only team in this sectional with no swimming team but honestly since they build a new high school in the last decade I could be wrong. 

Edited by Silvertone1696

113 at Frankfort has some depth.

1. Elijah Anthony 31-0 (Frankfort) State ranked 3rd

5. Dylan Driver 23-7 (Westfield) SS ranked 8

4. Griffen Ingalls 27-3 (Fishers) SS ranked 7

3. Brac Hooper 18-3 (Carmel) State ranked 13

2. Bryce Longnecker 30-3 (Rossville)

220 at Tri

#1 seed Pierce 27-3

#2 seed Returning SQ browning 38-1

#3 Seed Taylor 27-5 (first year kid that's never wrestled but shows tons of potential actually pinned ncss#5 smitley at conference )

#4 seed 30-3 Frost

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

113 at Southport may qualify as the most unusual bracket. 10 team field.

#1 seed Cottey (Perry) 27-0 State ranked 1 

#2 seed Glithero (Roncalli) 21-4 State ranked 15

#3 seed 0-15 freshman

#4 seed 0-12 freshman

6 Forfeits

Somebody's gonna get their hand raised for the 1st time in the 3rd place match. And maybe one of them can pull off a shocker in the Regional & punch their ticket to Semi-State with just 1 win.

2 hours ago, slice60 said:

#3 seed 0-15 freshman

#4 seed 0-12 freshman

6 Forfeits

Somebody's gonna get their hand raised for the 1st time in the 3rd place match. And maybe one of them can pull off a shocker in the Regional & punch their ticket to Semi-State with just 1 win.

Brings up a good question. Wonder who has advanced to semi-state/state with the fewest wins (worst record)

34 minutes ago, SIwrestling said:

Brings up a good question. Wonder who has advanced to semi-state/state with the fewest wins (worst record)

Fewest wins and worst record are two different things.  I remember someone around 2000 went into sectionals with 1-0 record (I.e., varsity record) and was a state qualifier.  And of course we know about Nick Lee’s 3-0 record.  It would be interested to know who had most losses and worst percentage though.

4 hours ago, slice60 said:

#3 seed 0-15 freshman

#4 seed 0-12 freshman

6 Forfeits

They would actually have their hands raised the first time in the consolation semifinals (against a forfeit ) :)

but honestly, that would be pretty crazy to have one or two wins and make it to semistate

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.