Article: 4th Annual Indiana Frosh-Soph State Wrestling Championships

Y2CJ41

2 hours ago, Jhaler08 said:

You mean you didn’t like having to constantly run downstairs and stand halfway outside to get a signal for Track to load?  Parking was horrible too.  My son wrestled 3 times before some of his heavier teammates had their first match.

Yes exactly! Absolutely nowhere to park except in the grass and on side streets then threatened to tow you if you weren’t in the parking lot...you mean the parking lot that has no spaces left?!! My son wrestled his 2nd match at 2pm and his 3rd match at 7pm! They gotta do better than that!

Hate to hear all this about the venue.i attended the very first 1 ib 2017 and loved it.. I'll be there tommorow coaching Thrine at 126 in semis! There's been some good wrestling going down..Aj gunn vs Brevan Thrine was a wild 1 with Thrine landing a big 5. Pointer to the pin in the 3rd..Glithero vs Miller was another barn burner with Miller locking up a stud/ reinforced cradle and sticking Glithero! Padilla and Ruhlman both took care of business to make up the other Semi final@126! Let's hear some other run downs on different weights and good matches! 

If you keep the same/similar location I’d say you almost have to hold Day 1 at two separate facilities.  Maybe lower half at Southport and upper half at Perry.  Then consolidate all remaining to Southport for Day 2.  That helps with most complaints and still lets everyone stay over in the same area before coming together the next day.  Sure it’s a slight annoyance to coaching staffs to be split, but over crowding, hours of waiting between matches, and an extremely long day when you have to do it again the next is also a major annoyance.  

This was my first year in attendance I personally thought that the tournament was ran fairly well both days. I have been to many tournaments in my day and I know that this could've been 100x worse. Thought Southport were awesome hosts had no issues with table workers and had some good options at the concession stand. Would like to thank all who put together this tournament and created an opportunity for these underclassman to see what they have against each other, I wish this was a thing back when I was in HS guess I should've been born a few years later. All in all a fun competitive weekend of GREAT wrestling time to get ready for next season!

1 hour ago, Paycheck141 said:

Did anyone notice when Bailey was wrestling Dickey towards the end bailey got hit with an illegal hold once he started getting double under hooks locked up a certain way and they called him for it?

That is illegal, see page 15 here

http://matref0.tripod.com/NFHS_Rules_Photos.pdf

• Y2CJ41 unpinned this topic

Not sure if this has been posted, but here are the numbers and the growth of the tournament:

2017 - North(278), South(128), Indy Nats(116) - STATE(291)

2018 - North(165), South(158), Indy Nats(302) - STATE(390)

2019 - North(229), South(209), Indy Nats(389) - STATE(487)

2020 - North(391), South(295), Indy Nats(413) - STATE(525)

So how about some discussion as to where we go from here.  This tournament has definitely grown.  Will it eventually level off?

Also, could someone give us an ideal of how many entries actual qualified from the Indy Nats?

I think we will continue to see it grow in numbers as well as quality. My son wrestled 138 and it was a very deep and talented group with 2 state qualifiers and many semi state qualifiers. It’s almost like the IHPO, as people see the depth and quality of talent attending they are more likely to participate. 

I remember when this tournament started some referred to it as JV state. I believe it’s a much better tournament than that. 

Venue was good, ran smooth.  You will get plenty of cardio with the amount of stairs. Maybe a couple improvements could be starting an hour earlier each day....and for the love of God change the announcer who butchered every kids name but made sure to remind us of the concession stand every half hour.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.