2020 Middle school state predictions

812wrestler

2 hours ago, graham said:

Many still haven’t registered and I have a feeling we’ll have a few surprises when the brackets come out. 

I’m fairly confident those that have a legit chance to win have registered.  With maybe the exception of D’Pone Veazy at 160.  There may be a few wrestlers who are potential placers who have not registered, but any potential champs are registered.  With maybe the exception of HW.  Those who have wrestled the true national circuit: Tulsa, Super 32, Tyrant, McDonough, USAW, they are all registered.  Maybe a few regional type kids are still unsigned, but not the big ones. 

Edited by #TheBrand

14 hours ago, graham said:

I hear what you’re saying, but these are growing kids and you just never know what’s gonna happen. A lot of it will likely play out as you suggest, but I think we will have a few surprises. 

Plus everybody likes a good underdog, right? 😉

Your right, without a qualifier like PA,OH,IL, everyone has a possible chance here in IN. So anything can happen.  However, past success is the best predictor for future success.  Some of these predicted champs have won 4,5,6 straight ISWA state championships.  I believe some upsets will happen, but cream always rises, and those who have been tested in Tulsa, Super 32, VAC Gold brackets, USAW,....Indiana’s MS State is not  a stage most of these talented wrestlers will be lacking in experience.  I can personally attest this may be one of the most accomplished 6th grade classes IN has seen.  I believe you will have 3 6th grade champs at a minimum.  Dickman 75, Reynolds at 95, or if he can’t wrestle, Stanley has to be the favorite, and Harden at 110.  You could also realistically see Hawkins at 85 and L. Haines (being held back) could win again at 80 if he was registered.

Edited by #TheBrand

11 minutes ago, #TheBrand said:

Your right, without a qualifier like PA,OH,IL, everyone has a possible chance here in IN. So anything can happen.  However, past success is the best predictor for future success.  Some of these predicted champs have won 4,5,6 straight ISWA state championships.  I believe some upsets will happen, but cream always rises, and those who have been tested in Tulsa, Super 32, VAC Gold brackets, USAW,....Indiana’s MS State is not  a stage most of these talented wrestlers will be lacking in experience.  I can personally attest this may be one of the most accomplished 6th grade classes IN has seen.      

Agreed! "The NATIONAL youth Circuit" def. tests like no other!

Kudos to Coaches and organizers for providing IN Kids opportunities to get better on the MAT!

#Indiana

Edited by tigrreapr56

6 hours ago, #TheBrand said:
6 hours ago, tigrreapr56 said:

Agreed! "The NATIONAL youth Circuit" def. tests like no other!

Kudos to Coaches and organizers for providing IN Kids opportunities to get better on the MAT!

#Indiana

right, without a qualifier like PA,OH,IL, everyone has a possible chance here in IN. So anything can happen.  However, past success is the best predictor for future success.  Some of these predicted champs have won 4,5,6 straight ISWA state championships.  I believe some upsets will happen, but cream always rises, and those who have been tested in Tulsa, Super 32, VAC Gold brackets, USAW,....Indiana’s MS State is not  a stage most of these talented wrestlers will be lacking in experience.  I can personally attest this may be one of the most accomplished 6th grade classes IN has seen.  I believe you will have 3 6th grade champs at a minimum.  Dickman 75, Reynolds at 95, or if he can’t wrestle, Stanley has to be the favorite, and Harden at 110.  You could also realistically see Hawkins at 85 and L. Haines (being held back) could win again at 80 if he was registered.

Guys... wasn’t saying anything against the potentially legendary 6th grade class.  I know they have been tested NATIONALLY.  I am sure they will all have a successful Sunday and beyond. Really, though... This type of thing goes without saying, doesn’t it?

I was just saying it’s hard to predict the outcome of Middle School State because puberty is involved.  I don’t think it’s much of a stretch to suggest that. In fact I think that’s less of a stretch than to be adamant about a specific outcome, or even more so to suggest that “anyone who has a legit chance” has already signed up.

But that’s just my opinion. And you know what they say about opinions...

On 2/3/2020 at 4:34 PM, #TheBrand said:

Here are the favorites I would think based upon who is signed up as of right now.  Remember wrestlers can now switch weight classes (bad idea in my opinion).  Disclaimer....This is not necessarily who I think will win (well 99% agree), but who the favorites would be going into it based upon registration.

75   Dickman (Brownsburg) 6th

80   Jendreas (Crownpoint) 7th

85   Hockaday (Tri West) 7th

90  Schaefer (returning champ) (Mater Dei) 7th

95  Reynolds (if healthy & can wrestler) (Brownsburg) 6th

102  Graham (Cathedral) 8th

110  Harden (Cathedral) 6th

117  Courtney (Center Grove) 8th

125 Ison (Brownsburg) 8th

132  Caden Brewer (Avon) 8th

140 Hunter May (returning champ) (Floyd Central) 8th

150 Drew Mills (returning champ) (Center Grove) 8th

160 McBride (Perry Meridian) 8th

175 Gunner Henry (Brownsburg) 8th

195  Brady Beck (Rochester) 8th

220  Maximus Forrester (Brownsburg) 8th

275 Pick 'Em

This with both L. Hanies (75 Champ last year) & Preston Haines (85 Champ last year) & Nate Rioux not wrestling in this years MS state.  All 3 will be at Wildwood duals.

3 6th graders to win, Brownsburg leading the way with 5 champs, and only I. Schaefer at 90 with the a streak of going for 3 straight (does not include 6th graders).

Next year weight classes may be changed.  My input was to follow the school boy weights up to 102 and then HS weights.  This discourages wrestlers to cutting to a weight that does not exist on the National circuit.  71, 77, 83, 87, 92, 97, 102, and then HS weights.  71 allows for a smaller weight class, and the weights from there will be what most MS will have to wrestle on a national circuit.  From what I am hearing, this is getting a lot of traction.  Stay tuned.

And if I'm counting that is 7 of 16 (not counting HW) as being #TheCounty

And I'm proud to say 10 of the favorites have wrestled for The Compound Indy and won at either AAU National Duals or the Defense Soap National Duals at Cleveland State.  More big things to come with IN top wrestlers.

160 Veazy was the favorite and he pretty much will be the favorite where ever lands from here on out.

Great tournament yesterday!  Talked to a Center Grove parent that told me there were 200 more wrestlers this year than last year, which looks like near a 50% increase.  Big up, Indiana Wrestling!  I thought the tournament was ran very well and we got out at about 6:30pm with the biggest bracket in the tourney.  Not too shabby, Center Grove!

Couple things I want to say. 

First: Bryce Denton and my son Dillon had a little bit of a rivalry going on it seems, but we wish him no ill will and were really sorry to see the injury he suffered in the 3rd/4th place match. Hope it isn’t as serious as it looked and he has a speedy recovery.  Thoughts and prayers to him and his family. 

Second:  I want to give a shoutout to a couple surprises we had.  One of the things I love about all this is (long-winded) my favorite thing in life is watching my own kids grow, and pleasantly surprise me along the way. I have a jr at IU so I feel I can see a good bit of the spectrum here. And getting to know kids in the wrestling community over the last few years and seeing them grow and surprise us is kinda like an extension of our own family. Kudos to all parents who support their kids and give them all the opportunities to achieve things that pleasantly surprise us!

There were quite a few surprises, but I am only going to mention a couple. If anybody wants to add to this with any big surprises or kudos I failed to give or see, that would be awesome. 

—Tanner Tishner!!!  This guy is a great wrestler and is the one I had in mind when I made the post saying not everyone had signed up yet, and to expect some surprises based off predictions that were being made.  I knew it would surprise some that he became the 95lb Champ, but it was no surprise to me!!

—Zach Lang!!!  Zach has been getting better and better working out with Coach Brandon Wright at FIWC. He did not cut at all and was an undersized 132, made it to the finals vs Brady Ison.  He ended 3rd after losing true 2nd 7-5.  He took it rough but we are ecstatic at how much he has improved. 

Again, awesome day. Big thanks to parents, wrestlers, and tournament workers!!

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering who I need to contact about lost paper work for Middle School Nationals.  My 220 lber misplaced his paperwork and I need a new copy and all the info.

Thanks

AJ Bradley

alan.bradley@muncieschools.org

2 hours ago, AJ said:

I was wondering who I need to contact about lost paper work for Middle School Nationals.  My 220 lber misplaced his paperwork and I need a new copy and all the info.

Thanks

AJ Bradley

alan.bradley@muncieschools.org

Hey AJ, I think you already contacted the ISWA office, but that is who will have the paperwork if still needed.  Now the bigger issue is getting the pymt made and that as well as all the paperwork to be completed are on the ISWA website under the Team IN tab and duals...… then heartland duals.  pay on there and fill out paperwork on there all in 1 stop.  feel free to reach out to me if any other questions

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.