Red Vs Lee ?

Jayruss

I am going out on a limb here, but I will go Lee with a major decision. 

What will be most interesting to me is to see is how Red deals with Lee's offense. No one has come close to stopping him when he takes a shot (which is often) in college or in the Sr Open (with the exception of Jordan Oliver). While he has not wrestled anyone with even remotely the defensive skills of Red yet in folkstyle this year, he certainly did so in freestyle at the Sr. Open. Of course, the caveat is freestyle does not equal folkstyle.

Meanwhile, Red can re-attack or turn your offense into his offense with the best of them.

All of that is another way of saying I am really looking forward to Friday night.

Just had another thought about this after hitting enter.

The other reason to get excited about Friday is I think we are seeing the best version of each of these guys right now. I could argue that was not the case either of the prior two times they had met. In high school Lee was returning after extended time away due to injury. And as Y2CJ41 posted over in the college thread (what was he thinking?) Red was not enjoying wrestling last year and having a hard time finding motivation. 

But now we have two healthy, motivated, skilled wrestlers at their peak.

Did I mention I was excited for Friday?

From what I have seen from the two so far this season, I have to go with Lee. Nick looks like he has really improved over last year, but Red is looking better as well.

This should be an epic battle that doesn't disappoint.

At my age I hate wishing time away but I to can't wait for Friday night.

Edited by SIACfan

On 1/21/2020 at 11:29 AM, wrestlenewbie said:

I am going out on a limb here, but I will go Lee with a major decision. 

What will be most interesting to me is to see is how Red deals with Lee's offense. No one has come close to stopping him when he takes a shot (which is often) in college or in the Sr Open (with the exception of Jordan Oliver). While he has not wrestled anyone with even remotely the defensive skills of Red yet in folkstyle this year, he certainly did so in freestyle at the Sr. Open. Of course, the caveat is freestyle does not equal folkstyle.

Meanwhile, Red can re-attack or turn your offense into his offense with the best of them.

All of that is another way of saying I am really looking forward to Friday night.

Can I like my own post?

I’m happy I haven’t seen it thus far, and I hope I don’t see this thread doesn’t break down into a Chad Red hate train. As Indiana wrestling fans, it’s always fun to see our own elite competitors face off, but sometimes people on this board or in the FloWrestling comments get a little carried away with their praise for Nick Lee that they bash CJ. I understand being passionate, especially the EMD crowd, but you have to remember that these are two phenomenal grapplers and Nick showed us tonight how much he’s improved in one year, hats off to him. Taking nothing away from him though, Chad Red is still Chad Red. He’s a big match guy and always gives us some big wins when it matters most. They’re both two-time All-Americans on the Division I level for a reason, and both are capable of winning the 141 lb class. Keep it classy and let’s continue to keep negativity away from these young men on either end.  

I was thinking it would be a close match after watching Red last weekend and he looked good and not to be bashing him but I hope to see them wrestled again in Big10 and the NCAA . Good luck to both on the rest of the season.

Glad I stayed in the dark until I had a chance to watch the match.  Lee’s top game is getting pretty solid.  If he can avoid scramble situations of the takedown he is a huge national title threat.  

Reds didn’t get anything off tonight, which is unfortunate.  But he seems to always be a gamer come national tournament time.  Hopefully that continues to be the case.  

9 hours ago, MattM said:

Glad I stayed in the dark until I had a chance to watch the match.  Lee’s top game is getting pretty solid.  If he can avoid scramble situations of the takedown he is a huge national title threat.  

Reds didn’t get anything off tonight, which is unfortunate.  But he seems to always be a gamer come national tournament time.  Hopefully that continues to be the case.  

My guess is Red will have learned something from last night and will adjust his approach accordingly.

If you go back to the state final Red was able to ride Lee for the entire final period. And Lee was not that good on top. Lee has improved both of those two positions significantly. Last night Red gave up that final takedown a little too easy which I attribute to be exhausted from being on bottom so long. 

My second observation comes from a video posted on Flo pre-match. In it Mike Mal said he thought the match would come down to a single position. When Lee shoots the single does Red get to the corner for the re-attack? He has done that several times in the past to Lee, as he is the better scrambler. Last night Lee's finishes were so clean Red never got the chance to turn them into scramble situations. 

If they meet again this year at Big 10s or NCAAs it seems to me that Red will have learned from and adapted to what happened last night. I believe he will attack more quickly to avoid being on bottom. He is lightening quick and we have seen him do it to any number of wrestlers even if it hasn't been his preferred plan against Lee up to now.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.