Tournament Time

blueandgold

We’re two weeks out from sectionals and this is always the best time of the year. Most kids begin to peak around this time and wrestle their absolute best through February. What individuals or teams put together some of the most impressive, deepest, and/or memorable runs through Bankers Life can you remember? I have a few.

2015 – Jordan Vaughn, Franklin Central, 43-6, 11 | Runner-Up at 132 lbs.

• Vaughn had previously been a two-time semi-state qualifier for the Flashes, and had just finished third in the Perry Meridian regional. The next two weekends were special though. Vaughn went on one of the most impressive hot streaks I can remember by bringing it to Jack Chastain in the semifinals followed by a good finals win over Nick Ellis. Vaughn then continued his run through the state by knocking off Griffin Schermer and upsetting Connor Knapp in the semis before ultimately falling to an otherwordly Nick Lee in the finals.

2015 – Nathon Trawick, Richmond, 48-2, 12 | Runner-up at 285 lbs.

• Trawick had given up a loss earlier in the season to a kid ranked #4 (can’t think of who), but stormed back through the sectional and regional before reaching New Castle where he ran into a gauntlet of battle-tested heavyweights that started with an explosive ticket-round match with Perry Meridian heavyweight, Chris Ridle. Following that match-up, Trawick was met with more explosions from a young Robert Samuels of Lawrence North, and ended his day with Warren Central heavy, Jasion Brogan. He continued this run through state beating a battle-tested Cory Christman from Penn, followed by a huge upset victory over 2014 runner-up, Norman Oglesby of Ben Davis. Ultimately, Trawick fell in the finals to Shawn Streck, but he still put together a magical run nonetheless.

2015 – Mason Parris, Lawrenceburg, 54-1, 9 | 3rd at 182 lbs.

• The eventual three-time champion at 220 lbs. and Big Ten phenom was smaller at one point in time. At 182 lbs., Mason Parris was a threat but no one knew how much. He ran the table at New Castle beating a game Ben Stewart 3-1 in the ticket round, followed by a huge pin over then-undefeated #4 Conner James of Roncalli, and a good championship win over returning placer Jonathan Morales of Western Boone. Parris would continue his dominant run through Bankers with a win over eventual state champion, Jake Kleimola, followed by a pin over Kyle Shaffer, and he would ultimately be stopped in the semis, where he took his lone loss, by that year’s champion, Chase Osborn of Penn in a wild 11-10 decision (I can still remember the crowd when Mason cut him).

Edited by blueandgold

My favorite has to be in 2013, our heavyweight Joe Garland of Rushville was 34-1 going in to Semi-State. Beat Trawick at Regionals in OT. Got through the ticket round and lost a tight 3-1 match to Donte Winfield in the semis.  Lost 4-3 to Ramsey of North Mont. Gave up a TD in the final 15 seconds. I was devastated for him. We wrestled Oglesby from BD Friday at state and won 3-1. Matched up with Bartoszek from Hanover Central and won by fall before wrestling Wesley Bernard from Cathedral in the semis. The match was tied 1-1 with about 30 seconds to go and we got a TD on the edge to go up 3-1 and I felt great, but we got called for locking hands to make it 3-2 with about 12 seconds left. It was the longest 12 seconds of my life. We were able to ride him out for the win. Then Joe wrestled well but dropped the finals match 5-1 to Winfield. Such an awesome ride to be apart of!

6 hours ago, blueandgold said:

We’re two weeks out from sectionals and this is always the best time of the year. Most kids begin to peak around this time and wrestle their absolute best through February. What individuals or teams put together some of the most impressive, deepest, and/or memorable runs through Bankers Life can you remember? I have a few.

• Vaughn had previously been a two-time semi-state qualifier for the Flashes, and had just finished third in the Perry Meridian regional. The next two weekends were special though. Vaughn went on one of the most impressive hot streaks I can remember by bringing it to Jack Chastain in the semifinals followed by a good finals win over Nick Ellis. Vaughn then continued his run through the state by knocking off Griffin Schermer and upsetting Connor Knapp in the semis before ultimately falling to an otherwordly Nick Lee in the finals.

2015 – Nathon Trawick, Richmond, 48-2, 12 | Runner-up at 285 lbs.

• Trawick had given up a loss earlier in the season to a kid ranked #4 (can’t think of who), but stormed back through the sectional and regional before reaching New Castle where he ran into a gauntlet of battle-tested heavyweights that started with an explosive ticket-round match with Perry Meridian heavyweight, Chris Ridle. Following that match-up, Trawick was met with more explosions from a young Robert Samuels of Lawrence North, and ended his day with Warren Central heavy, Jasion Brogan. He continued this run through state beating a battle-tested Cory Christman from Penn, followed by a huge upset victory over 2014 runner-up, Norman Oglesby of Ben Davis. Ultimately, Trawick fell in the finals to Shawn Streck, but he still put together a magical run nonetheless.

2015 – Mason Parris, Lawrenceburg, 54-1, 9 | 3rd at 182 lbs.

• The eventual three-time champion at 220 lbs. and Big Ten phenom was smaller at one point in time. At 182 lbs., Mason Parris was a threat but no one knew how much. He ran the table at New Castle beating a game Ben Stewart 3-1 in the ticket round, followed by a huge pin over then-undefeated #4 Conner James of Roncalli, and a good championship win over returning placer Jonathan Morales of Western Boone. Parris would continue his dominant run through Bankers with a win over eventual state champion, Jake Kleimola, followed by a pin over Kyle Shaffer, and he would ultimately be stopped in the semis, where he took his lone loss, by that year’s champion, Chase Osborn of Penn in a wild 11-10 decision (I can still remember the crowd when Mason cut him).

Mason beat garpow from Winamac for 3rd. Awesome come behind win in that match as well.

Edited by bigballerb

On 1/17/2020 at 3:33 PM, blueandgold said:

...and approximately 258 slide-bys along the way.

And as big as Trawick was can you really call anything a upset. I remember him tossing Ridle like he was a rag-doll.

Parris, well...does Parris like things.

Edited by gsmith58

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.