Next Level

blueandgold

Indiana has always been a state that produces great talent, but a lot of times, it never seems to materialize on the next level. There are a variety of factors that can contribute to this, but it’s always interesting to see who does well and who doesn’t in college. An individual that comes to mind for me is Dylan Lydy, a state champion in 2015 and now ranked 4th in the nation as a redshirt senior for Coach Ersland and only has one loss. He looks to be a for sure All-American this year if he can keep this momentum going, and while he is an incredibly hard worker, there have been more talented wrestlers to enter the collegiate ranks who fizzled out quickly. Also, I see Kris Rumph and Kyle Hatch are BOTH ranked #1 in the nation at their weights for very respective and competitive schools. Hats off to these gentleman for persevering and making the most of their college careers. I hope this new crop of talent can be successful. I have high hopes for Silas Allred, Zeke Seltzer, and Brayden Littell along with many, many others.

This is an intriguing thread and one I’ve pondered as well with a kid in college and seeing a lot of IN dudes all over. 

This is just personal opinion and speculation..

A lot of these guys have been at it a long time and have attained a high level of success. College isn’t so easy. Almost every match is semi state level or better against teams and opponents you/they might not expect. If u take a couple losses you start to doubt yourself..and when you start to doubt you also start to question everything..is the time worth it? Is it as important as it was? Is my passion still there? 

Another big factor in my opinion is coaching. Not if the college coach is good or bad but just different! Most of these kids have had the same coach and achieved success with the same academy or high school coach in their corner for anywhere from 4-10 years!! Suddenly you have someone totally new..and different in approach/style/personality. So if you factor that in along with the less success or questions of themselves that also plays a role in the mental game. 

Lastly, but just as important, injury!! With every match seemingly semi state level or greater, the wear and tear on the body is increased and as the young body ages it also changes and doesn’t heal like it used to! 

Im proud of all the IN dudes I see grinding it out at all collegiate levels. It ain’t easy and it is vastly different in college. 

Thanks @blueandgold for raising the issue. Heck, it’s different as a parent so I can only imagine how these athletes feel!! 

Edited by UncleJimmy

To add to this is just the strain of the academics of collage. Going to class, going to practice and all the papers to write. I tip my hat to the kids that can do all that and have success on the mat and can keep their grades up.

Edited by boomer

I think the level of wrestling by Indiana kids in college has never been higher, or at least deeper.  I know guys like Andrew Howe and Angel Escobedo had big time success, but has their ever been this many?  Just at the high DI level you have the following who have a legit shot at All-American status...
125 - Drew Hildebrandt
125 - Brock Hudkins (not sure of his status this year)
133 - Stevan Micic (taking Olympic Redshirt)
141 - Nick Lee, Chad Red
149 - Brayton Lee
165 - Drew Hughes (longshot this year)
174 - Dylan Lydy, Ben Harvey
197 - Lucas Davison
285 - Mason Parris

I'd put the over under on DI AA's this year at 5.

As alluded to in his original post, there are others making waves in DII, DIII and NAIA.    One example of a guy kicking some tail this year many may not know about is Skyler Lykins at Colorado School of Mines.  He's 14-2 and ranked in the top ten in DII at 165.

FWIW, for those of you that don't venture over, we have some decent discussions and post results over on the College Forum.  Feel free to join us and add results, especially for guys that may be getting overlooked!

Edited by SWINfan

10 hours ago, MattM said:

SWINfan,

During Sat. IU match vs. Northwestern the announcers said both Hudkins and Konrath were out for the season. 

Thanks, I knew he wrestled at The Midlands and MFF'd out, but hadn't heard anymore.  Hate to hear it.  I had heard Konrath was done.

11 hours ago, SWINfan said:

I think the level of wrestling by Indiana kids in college has never been higher, or at least deeper.  I know guys like Andrew Howe and Angel Escobedo had big time success, but has their ever been this many?  Just at the high DI level you have the following who have a legit shot at All-American status...
125 - Drew Hildebrandt
125 - Brock Hudkins (not sure of his status this year)
133 - Stevan Micic (taking Olympic Redshirt)
141 - Nick Lee, Chad Red
149 - Brayton Lee
165 - Drew Hughes (longshot this year)
174 - Dylan Lydy, Ben Harvey
197 - Lucas Davison
285 - Mason Parris

I'd put the over under on DI AA's this year at 5.

As alluded to in his original post, there are others making waves in DII, DIII and NAIA.    One example of a guy kicking some tail this year many may not know about is Skyler Lykins at Colorado School of Mines.  He's 14-2 and ranked in the top ten in DII at 165.

FWIW, for those of you that don't venture over, we have some decent discussions and post results over on the College Forum.  Feel free to join us and add results, especially for guys that may be getting overlooked!

Good stuff. I agree. There are ton's of opportunities now to watch some of our Indiana wrestlers compete at the next level. 

@UncleJimmy hit on a lot of great points. There are so many factors that come into play once a wrestler moves to the next level not just from Indiana but everywhere!  You will watch guys that didn't win state titles become all-americans and guys that won mutiple-state titles not make it through their first year or two.

One of the biggest is getting use to there never being any easy days. Most top level guys dominate their room in high school. Once you enter college, especially at the D1 level, you are no longer the alpha and even days you go against walk ons are going to be tough.  This becomes mentally taxing and you struggle with confidence issues almost daily!

Relationships with coaches and wrestlers play a part as well. Maybe you don't mesh well with the coaches or the guys on the team. They are partiers and you're not. Another thing I have personally observed is guys fitting in right away and with all the new found freedom don't know how to balance partying, athletics, and school. We'd like to think that these kids can make the right choices but learning how to deal with that freedom can be really difficult! It doesn't make them bad kids it's just the reality.

I was only a walk on at IU. The highlight of my career was being booed at rec hall for stalling and not giving up a major against Pat Cummins when I was thrown in at heavyweight.  It was/is still the hardest 4 years of my life physically, mentally and academically.  In fact I tried to come home after my first semester and my dad wouldn't let me!  It never got easier but it just became the new normal.

I agree with others that this is a good time for Indiana wrestling and we have a lot of talent at many levels.

Edited by bsisson

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.