History of #1 vs #1

PMFAN

As a Perry Meridian supporter, I knew that Perry was going to lose to Cathedral. So, I was really just hoping for some great matches. Deep down, I really wanted to see Perry bump Alex Cottey up to wrestle Zeke Seltzer and Mathew Koontz bump up to wrestle Logan Bailey. Even though both Alex and Mathew won, I was bummed out because we did not get to see those matches. In wake of my disappointment, I am wondering how many times two number one ranked wrestlers in two different weight classes got a chance to wrestle each other. The only one I can remember is Noah Warren vs Nathan Walton at Team States in 2018 with Nathan Walton unfortunately coming out on top. So if anybody knows of any times this has occurred, please feel free to share.

Jake O'Brien and Nate Moore wrestled a couple of times, Nate was a defending state champ ranked #1 at 189 and O'Brien was a 2x state champ ranked #1 at 215. Moore won both matches. I also believe that Lee and Red were at two different weights and Lee bumped up for state series to wrestle him 

3 hours ago, PMFAN said:

As a Perry Meridian supporter, I knew that Perry was going to lose to Cathedral. So, I was really just hoping for some great matches. Deep down, I really wanted to see Perry bump Alex Cottey up to wrestle Zeke Seltzer and Mathew Koontz bump up to wrestle Logan Bailey. Even though both Alex and Mathew won, I was bummed out because we did not get to see those matches. In wake of my disappointment, I am wondering how many times two number one ranked wrestlers in two different weight classes got a chance to wrestle each other. The only one I can remember is Noah Warren vs Nathan Walton at Team States in 2018 with Nathan Walton unfortunately coming out on top. So if anybody knows of any times this has occurred, please feel free to share.

I was hoping to see Cottey bump up as well. 

37 minutes ago, TripleB said:

Jake O'Brien and Nate Moore wrestled a couple of times, Nate was a defending state champ ranked #1 at 189 and O'Brien was a 2x state champ ranked #1 at 215. Moore won both matches. I also believe that Lee and Red were at two different weights and Lee bumped up for state series to wrestle him 

That was Nate's senior year 2002, when Jake was a junior and oooonnnnlllllyyyy a 1 time champ at the time. 

Nate did it twice. 

I remember Sackstedder bumping Danny Coyne from 112lbs to wrestle top ranked McGinley (Tim maybe?) in the Beech Grove v. Cathedral dual in the early 2000s. Cannot remember if Danny was #1 at the time, but McGinley came out victorious. 

I know this doesn't technically count, but I believe that Anthony Williams (IHSAA State Champ from Evansville Central) and Ethan Harris (IHSAA State Champ from Beech Grove) wrestled each other in the finals of the Mooresville Holiday Classic the following year after their State Championship runs - correct me if I am wrong. Harris came out victorious in the meeting.

Edited by Riley McClurg

10 hours ago, Riley McClurg said:

I remember Sackstedder bumping Danny Coyne from 112lbs to wrestle top ranked McGinley (Tim maybe?) in the Beech Grove v. Cathedral dual in the early 2000s. Cannot remember if Danny was #1 at the time, but McGinley came out victorious. 

I know this doesn't technically count, but I believe that Anthony Williams (IHSAA State Champ from Evansville Central) and Ethan Harris (IHSAA State Champ from Beech Grove) wrestled each other in the finals of the Mooresville Holiday Classic the following year after their State Championship runs - correct me if I am wrong. Harris came out victorious in the meeting.

That sounds right. Harris was undefeated going into state. Williams entered state with three losses. 

12 hours ago, TripleB said:

Nick was hurt and missed the whole season.  The only matches he wrestled were at Team State before Sectional.  His matches at Tam State and he won state at 132 the year before.

But I do believe Bam Lawrence was #1 at 152 when Joe Lee bumped up from 145 to face him at Team State.  Lee won by fall.  That was in Jan 2016.

12 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

I believe Bam Lawrence bumped up to wrestle Joe Lee at team state also. Lee won a wild one late. 

It was the opposite.  Joe was at 145 and won state at that weight.  He bumped up to face Lawrence and won by fall.  You're right about it being a wild one.  I looked back and it was 4-4 after 2 periods, Lee got an escape and a TD to go up 6-5.  Joe got an escape then takedown to his back and got the fall inside the final minute.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.