The Mendez effect

4U2NV

2 minutes ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

Coughlin beat him in FS as well.. but If I remember right most of English points were escapes.. i'm not sure if he took him down.. English ws an animal though and 1 of the most underrated guys cuz of the legends during that era..

I agree. Why was he so underrated? State champ and state runner up. Placed at Fargo in freestyle and Greco multiple times. 

5 minutes ago, navy80 said:

I agree. Why was he so underrated? State champ and state runner up. Placed at Fargo in freestyle and Greco multiple times. 

When there's 3 different 4xers during your era is why I think, as crazy as that sounds with his accomplishments...I know how good Wesley ws though and Kevin ws a stud fighter as well.. Never fought on a card together but know he was legit. 

40 minutes ago, 4U2NV said:

FCFIGHTER170 brings up a good point. Let's see what the Mendez effect looks like vs the Alred effect:

126 = 15 state placements and 5 state qualifiers

132 = 3 state placements and 10 state qualifiers 

138 = 8 state placements and 5 state qualifiers 

•  

182 = 8 state placers and 4 state qualifiers

195 = 2 state placers and 2 state qualifiers

220 = 4 state placers and 4 state qualifiers 

And Silas is the same age as a junior and only lost once as a 13 or 14 year old freshman 170 pounder beating state placers..So realistically he could be going for his 2nd state title as a Jr. And def could've been a potential 3xer with his talent.. Nothing against anybody but he's on another level than everybody at 195 and beyond and is up there with mendez p4p great guys in state and among other all time greats.. Also with his work in the classroom and support he gets from many ppl especially his father, there's no limit how good he can be... Big 10 bound with  world class aspirations!

58 minutes ago, navy80 said:

Alex Tsirtsis had a close match with Craig Weinzapfel from Mater Dei. Craig actually beat him in freestyle in high school. Then in high school state finals... maybe it was the semi finals where Alex beat Craig by a few points. 

Angel Escobedo had a few close matches in his career and even one loss out of state. 

Jason Tsirtsis has a few close matches. 

Blake Maurer was the king of winning close matches. Same with Chad Red. 

Mason Paris’s was dominate but had one loss his freshman year. He is comparable. All the Lee has losses. 

I’ve followed Indiana high school wrestling since 1999 and haven’t seen anyone like Jesse Mendez. 

If we are going off of “impressive or dominant” you forgot Andrew Howe- only loss was to Reece Humphrey. I think there is a strong case that Andrew Howe is still (although Mendez could catch him and Mason Parris flirted with it) the best Indiana wrestler of all time. Even with his one loss. 

And though I never saw him wrestle I am assuming people also tried to avoid Lance Ellis. 

Edited by SunDevils

29 minutes ago, SunDevils said:

If we are going off of “impressive or dominant” you forgot Andrew Howe- only loss was to Reece Humphrey. I think there is a strong case that Andrew Howe is still (although Mendez could catch him and Mason Parris flirted with it) the best Indiana wrestler of all time. Even with his one loss. 

And though I never saw him wrestle I am assuming people also tried to avoid Lance Ellis. 

Ah yes, forgot about Howe. 

14 hours ago, 4U2NV said:

Littell is a great talent but he is no Mendez. 126 would just be more lopsided. 

Littell is pretty darn good, without injuries he'd be flirting with being a 4-timer also. He has a hit list of who's who in Indiana wrestling

Alec Viduya
Blake Boarman
Brayden Lowery
Riley Bettich
Hunter Watts
Cayden Rooks

He placed at Fargo and Super 32 and lost a 1-0 match with Jesse Mendez. Like @IndianaWrestlingGuy said, if he's there you wouldn't have seen the amount of athletes headed to 126.

10 hours ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

I don't recall anybody testing Alex Tsirtsis and can't see anybody in Indiana within 10-15 pounds doing it to Mendez. 

Alex was challenged. He won the challenges.  I’m glad you are Nostredomus and know what the future holds.  We still have 3 seasons left.  No one thought DeSanto would beat Lee.  No one had Pavletic over Starks. Who had Harper losing his senior year?  You guys are correct he is special.  I’ve been watching him for a few years now:!he is phenomenal.  I’ve also seen him lose.  And I’ve seen him almost lose.  Within the last 4 months.  Let’s pump the breaks a little bit and allow the kid to do his thing. If he walks through 4 years unscathed I’ll be the first to 👏 it up.  I’m guessing someone is going to at least try and meet the challenge.

17 minutes ago, Dmsmelby said:

Didn’t wrestle his senior year.  Would have won two titles instead of 1.  

Didn’t or couldn’t .. maybe I’m wrong but wasn’t his age the reason he wasn’t allowed to compete.  Thinking he turned 19 during wrestling season, which would of kept from competing, or at least the post season.  Crazy how parents made choices or for whatever reason kids ages vary.  I turned 18 first week of college, other kids turning 19 during school year lol. 

23 minutes ago, FANMAN said:

Didn’t or couldn’t .. maybe I’m wrong but wasn’t his age the reason he wasn’t allowed to compete.  Thinking he turned 19 during wrestling season, which would of kept from competing, or at least the post season.  Crazy how parents made choices or for whatever reason kids ages vary.  I turned 18 first week of college, other kids turning 19 during school year lol. 

No he transferred and was ruled ineligible.

24 minutes ago, FANMAN said:

Transferred to crown point I believe.  

59 minutes ago, FANMAN said:

FYI, the IHSAA age eligibility rules says you can’t turn 20 by the sports state finals.   

15 hours ago, navy80 said:

Alex Tsirtsis had a close match with Craig Weinzapfel from Mater Dei. Craig actually beat him in freestyle in high school. Then in high school state finals... maybe it was the semi finals where Alex beat Craig by a few points. 

Angel Escobedo had a few close matches in his career and even one loss out of state. 

Jason Tsirtsis has a few close matches. 

Blake Maurer was the king of winning close matches. Same with Chad Red. 

Mason Paris’s was dominate but had one loss his freshman year. He is comparable. All the Lee has losses. 

I’ve followed Indiana high school wrestling since 1999 and haven’t seen anyone like Jesse Mendez. 

Did you forget the cedar turkey mauler - Andrew Howe - One loss in high school to a pretty decent wrestler Reece Humpry

16 hours ago, GenHeavyHandz said:

Alex was challenged. He won the challenges.  I’m glad you are Nostredomus and know what the future holds.  We still have 3 seasons left.  No one thought DeSanto would beat Lee.  No one had Pavletic over Starks. Who had Harper losing his senior year?  You guys are correct he is special.  I’ve been watching him for a few years now:!he is phenomenal.  I’ve also seen him lose.  And I’ve seen him almost lose.  Within the last 4 months.  Let’s pump the breaks a little bit and allow the kid to do his thing. If he walks through 4 years unscathed I’ll be the first to 👏 it up.  I’m guessing someone is going to at least try and meet the challenge.

Lol you call me NOSTRADAMUS then turn around and give your prediction... and i'm sure every guy he's wrestled tried to "meet the challenge"..He won't be challenged in Indiana as much as you wanna believe it and will be "unscathed" if he's remains healthy.. and next time you want to be funny or throw shade at least spell my name right,   NOSTRADAMUS! 

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

17 hours ago, GenHeavyHandz said:

Those losses were to top 5 ranked guys in the county and one kid at the world level. There is no one in Indiana now or on the way up that will be that good at his weight. 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Those losses were to top 5 ranked guys in the county and one kid at the world level. There is no one in Indiana now or on the way up that will be that good at his weight. 

Exactly.. sounds like he or she has a guy around that weight and are just being optimistic which I can understand...but to their comment I don't need to predict the future when the present is showing us who's top dog! 

33 minutes ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

Exactly.. sounds like he or she has a guy around that weight and are just being optimistic which I can understand...but to their comment I don't need to predict the future when the present is showing us who's top dog! 

He or she? Stop 🛑 bro. Have someone around his weight?  My son’s wrestle 12U 70 and 10U 100: In Iowa.  I’m not being optimistic I hope the kid becomes the best of all time. I just want him to be challenged and I believe he will be. I think he wants the challenge. That’s why he bumped up earlier in the year. Now naturally if a kid from my former high school challenged him I wouldn’t be mad.

57 minutes ago, GenHeavyHandz said:

He or she? Stop 🛑 bro. Have someone around his weight?  My son’s wrestle 12U 70 and 10U 100: In Iowa.  I’m not being optimistic I hope the kid becomes the best of all time. I just want him to be challenged and I believe he will be. I think he wants the challenge. That’s why he bumped up earlier in the year. Now naturally if a kid from my former high school challenged him I wouldn’t be mad.

I'd be happy to take odds. I'll give you the Indiana field and three years (well 2 and half) to come up with a one point loss or a win.

Edited by gsmith58

1 hour ago, GenHeavyHandz said:

Dang it my psychic abilities you anointed me with must've ran out.. And I hope your son does awesome and i'm not being a smart ass..I ws saying you might know a guy around his weight you root for that you're hoping challenges Mendez... Again In state he WILL NOT BE CHALLENGED the rest of his HS career..if you root for him and want him to be the best ever you'd think you'd realize how dominant he is and idk if it's because you're in Iowa and haven't seen or know his in state competition but I'd love to hear who you are so certain will challenge him..You keep saying this but don't list 1 possibility of who it could be.. it'll take a top 3 nationally ranked stud that's already familiar with mendez through past matches to "challenge him".. and to the point about somebody wanting to rise to the challenge there have been more than a few in state studs already try and gave him a match last year but as the season went on mendez got even better and widened the gap on his competitors.. He goes to the best out of season tournaments every year and that's where he gets his challenges but this pipe dream you keep bringing up about in state kids beating or challenging him is over.. He's only getting more mature and better and steadily putting himself ahead of anybody in his weight now, next year and the year after.. and for a guy that says he's NOT OPTIMISTIC you're awfully dead set on Mendez getting a challenge and that sounds more than optimistic to me and more like Bon Jovi "LIVING ON A PRAYER ".

15 hours ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

Dang it my psychic abilities you anointed me with must've ran out.. And I hope your son does awesome and i'm not being a smart ass..I ws saying you might know a guy around his weight you root for that you're hoping challenges Mendez... Again In state he WILL NOT BE CHALLENGED the rest of his HS career..if you root for him and want him to be the best ever you'd think you'd realize how dominant he is and idk if it's because you're in Iowa and haven't seen or know his in state competition but I'd love to hear who you are so certain will challenge him..You keep saying this but don't list 1 possibility of who it could be.. it'll take a top 3 nationally ranked stud that's already familiar with mendez through past matches to "challenge him".. and to the point about somebody wanting to rise to the challenge there have been more than a few in state studs already try and gave him a match last year but as the season went on mendez got even better and widened the gap on his competitors.. He goes to the best out of season tournaments every year and that's where he gets his challenges but this pipe dream you keep bringing up about in state kids beating or challenging him is over.. He's only getting more mature and better and steadily putting himself ahead of anybody in his weight now, next year and the year after.. and for a guy that says he's NOT OPTIMISTIC you're awfully dead set on Mendez getting a challenge and that sounds more than optimistic to me and more like Bon Jovi "LIVING ON A PRAYER ".

Yapity yap yap yap.  You must love to type and reread yourself.  Sorry Specoli I only listen to Springsteen when playing Jersey music. I really don’t care.  No dog in the fight.  You obviously do.  I have homes in Indiana and Iowa just to inform you. I’m not new to this. Your level of cognitive discernment is too low for me to logically debate you.  Go bang another Monster Energy Drink and look at another Conner Mc Gregor prematch yap fest. 

16 hours ago, gsmith58 said:

I'd be happy to take odds. I'll give you the Indiana field and three years (well 2 and half) to come up with a one point loss or a win.

Only a slimey individual would bet against or for a kid. No bet

Edited by GenHeavyHandz

8 hours ago, GenHeavyHandz said:

Yapity yap yap yap.  You must love to type and reread yourself.  Sorry Specoli I only listen to Springsteen when playing Jersey music. I really don’t care.  No dog in the fight.  You obviously do.  I have homes in Indiana and Iowa just to inform you. I’m not new to this. Your level of cognitive discernment is too low for me to logically debate you.  Go bang another Monster Energy Drink and look at another Conner Mc Gregor prematch yap fest. 

Lol when in doubt pull some insults out..Idgaf where you have homes or what you think about my cognitive skills.. And I'll def be watching the fights tonight...Monster energy drinks are trash just like your assessment of Indiana wrestling.. I've learned that when people don't know what they're talking about they start trying to belittle a guy to mask their own lack or knowledge.. The only thing you've proven is that you can't spell Nostradamus and are a typical Wifi tough guy.

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.