The Mendez effect

4U2NV

Mendez is clearly having an impact on which weight classes some of our top wrestlers are competing at. Going off of the wrestler’s credentials on latest IM state rankings

126 = 15 state placements and 5 state qualifiers

132 = 3 state placements and 10 state qualifiers

138 = 8 state placements and 5 state qualifiers 

3 hours ago, 4U2NV said:

Mendez is clearly having an impact on which weight classes some of our top wrestlers are competing at. Going off of the wrestler’s credentials on latest IM state rankings

I would argue it is the Littell effect. If he’s healthy, 126 and 132 are equally top heavy and nowhere to hide. 

54 minutes ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

I would argue it is the Littell effect. If he’s healthy, 126 and 132 are equally top heavy and nowhere to hide. 

Littell is a great talent but he is no Mendez. 126 would just be more lopsided. 

I thought for sure we would have 2 nationally ranked 195ers with Silas vs Bates potential showdown then the new rankings broke my heart! Like it ws stated before in this thread..there's problems then there's Silas Allred problems... there could be an Allred effect as well..

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

3 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

What's up with Littell this year?  Injury?  I hadn't heard anything...

49 minutes ago, GenHeavyHandz said:

Mendez is impressive.  He’s still a kid and still human.  I’d like to believe he will be challenged before he graduates. All the greats were tested at some point.  Hopefully it will be a Panther.

Mendez did have a pretty impressive weight last year. I really believe Jesse is a kid who really loves to wrestle and would welcome any and all tough competition.

50 minutes ago, GenHeavyHandz said:

Mendez is impressive.  He’s still a kid and still human.  I’d like to believe he will be challenged before he graduates. All the greats were tested at some point.  Hopefully it will be a Panther.

I don't recall anybody testing Alex Tsirtsis and can't see anybody in Indiana within 10-15 pounds doing it to Mendez. 

1 hour ago, GenHeavyHandz said:

Unless Nic Bouzakis transfers to Cathedral, no one in state will touch him in his career. 

14 minutes ago, Thor said:

Unless Nic Bouzakis transfers to Cathedral, no one in state will touch him in his career. 

Sergio Lemley is not on the same level now but he has a very high ceiling and has been very impressive as of late. That’s asking a lot though considering he is completing in Illinois and the difference in weight. Could he be the next Louden Swain??

1 hour ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

I don't recall anybody testing Alex Tsirtsis and can't see anybody in Indiana within 10-15 pounds doing it to Mendez. 

Wes English as a soph chased Tsirtsis his senior year. 4 matches that got tighter as the state series went on. Tsirtsis was still a step ahead but they were still close compared to his other results. 

Alex Tsirtsis had a close match with Craig Weinzapfel from Mater Dei. Craig actually beat him in freestyle in high school. Then in high school state finals... maybe it was the semi finals where Alex beat Craig by a few points. 

Angel Escobedo had a few close matches in his career and even one loss out of state. 

Jason Tsirtsis has a few close matches. 

Blake Maurer was the king of winning close matches. Same with Chad Red. 

Mason Paris’s was dominate but had one loss his freshman year. He is comparable. All the Lee has losses. 

I’ve followed Indiana high school wrestling since 1999 and haven’t seen anyone like Jesse Mendez. 

6 minutes ago, GWCoach said:

Wes English as a soph chased Tsirtsis his senior year. 4 matches that got tighter as the state series went on. Tsirtsis was still a step ahead but they were still close compared to his other results. 

Tsirtsis beat English 10-5 senior state finals. English was a beast. 

10 hours ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

I thought for sure we would have 2 nationally ranked 195ers with Silas vs Bates potential showdown then the new rankings broke my heart! Like it ws stated before in this thread..there's problems then there's Silas Allred problems... there could be an Allred effect as well..

FCFIGHTER170 brings up a good point. Let's see what the Mendez effect looks like vs the Alred effect:

•  

182 = 8 state placers and 4 state qualifiers

195 = 2 state placers and 2 state qualifiers

220 = 4 state placers and 4 state qualifiers 

14 minutes ago, GWCoach said:

Coughlin beat him in FS as well.. but If I remember right most of English points were escapes.. i'm not sure if he took him down.. English ws an animal though and 1 of the most underrated guys cuz of the legends during that era..

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.