D1 weekend wrestling

1 hour ago, Disco said:

The mighty Hawkeyes make a trip to the Hoosier State this weekend.  Is there any hope for for Purdue or Indiana?Or is it beat down time? The haves vs the have nots.

IU is getting beat down, they’re gonna be underdogs in every match unless one of Iowa’s starters doesn’t wrestle. Purdue doesn’t have a chance, but can come away with some wins. Iowa will score too much bonus for Purdue to win. 

1 hour ago, wrestlenewbie said:

If I put the Purdue over / under at 4.5 which way do you bet?

Put another way, what do you think Lydy and Brunner do?

My heart says over, but my brain says under. I think one of the two will get a win, with Brunner being more likely. My prediction is we see wins from Coleman, Lyon, and Brunner. 

Nice lineup this weekend....  Times Central
Friday 

Iowa @ IU - 6pm
Illinois @ Penn St - 6pm
Michigan St @ Michigan - 6pm (no TV/Streaming?)
Purdue @ Northwestern - 7pm
Wisconsin @ Minnesota - 8pm

Sunday
Rutgers @ Michigan St - Noon
IU @ Illinois - 1pm
Northwestern @ Penn St - 1pm
Nebraska @ Wisconsin - 2pm
Iowa @ Purdue - 3pm

Here is a quote from Michigan State's coach about their match with Michigan Friday night....   Any thoughts?  There are so many nuggets of info in here...  too much to process at once!

"The dual against Michigan should be a very competitive one," said MSU wrestling head coach Roger Chandler. "It is going to be one of those matches that fans will want to see. Our guys just need to wrestle within themselves and need to compete the entire seven minutes. If we do that, and look to attack and score points in all 10 weight classes, good things will happen."

6 hours ago, Disco said:

What Roger said is what any coach would want his wrestlers to do, if they want to have the best chance to win. Concentrate for the full 7 minutes. And good thinks can happen. 

Exactly, coachspeak 101!  That's a whole lot of words for really saying nothing that doesn't apply to a match between 8 year olds.  

On 1/9/2020 at 10:42 AM, Thor said:

IU is getting beat down, they’re gonna be underdogs in every match unless one of Iowa’s starters doesn’t wrestle. Purdue doesn’t have a chance, but can come away with some wins. Iowa will score too much bonus for Purdue to win. 

Ouch. 41-0

1 hour ago, wrestlenewbie said:

And with Brunner taking it on the chin last night my over / under for Purdue against Iowa is now 3.5

That was such a weird match. Usually Brunner has a pretty solid gas tank, but he was gassed in the second period. Kemerer looked gassed too agains Covaciu, I think Lydy gets him tomorrow. 

6 hours ago, navy80 said:

Nick Lee and Mason Parris both won last night. 

And Brayton Lee....   I'll try and do a more detailed rundown after the weekend on as many wrestlers as I can find.  

I do know that had Mason lost, Michigan would have lost the dual.  He said "I'll have none of that" with a :30 pin.

We all nailed the beat down on Indiana, although the fight of ALL the IU men through the end of each match, sticks in my head as much as anything. Hoosiers are still on the bottom wrung but trying to fight their way up. Coaches are doing good. 

Lets see how they do against a second tier BIG team, Illinois , that has some studs today at 2pm.

Purdue didn’t fair any better than the Hoosiers.  41-0 shutout for both.  Iowa came, saw, and conquered this weekend.  While both teams battles Iowa’s just too solid at about every weight. There is a reason they are the currently the team to beat at nationals. 

Edited by MattM

18 minutes ago, MattM said:

Purdue didn’t fair any better than the Hoosiers.  41-0 shutout for both.  Iowa came, saw, and conquered this weekend.  While both teams battles Iowa’s just too solid at about every weight. There is a reason they are the currently the team to beat at nationals. 

The haves and the have not's, Way to much disparity in division one wrestling.

43 minutes ago, MattM said:

I sad

36 minutes ago, Disco said:

The end result is no indication of what good things are happening in West Lafayette. No injuries, Boilers are going to have a few AA's this year.

Definitely, just wish they would have got a match and had the same optics as IUs match.