Mat side weigh ins

tefakes

34 minutes ago, tskin said:

That could be very cool.  Have Scale built into floor like they have at amusement parks.  Wrestlers walk in stand on scale the weight pops up on a big jumbo tron then they run to mat.

They should then hand each of them one of those big rubber hammers used to smack the gong thingy too, that make it even more exciting

Edited by Clan Campbell

1 hour ago, Jimtown 138 said:

What would the purpose be?

Helps prevent kids from cutting a bunch and then replenishing after weigh-ins which is 60-90 mins before wrestling begins.  If you have to weigh-in every time you step on the mat then more likely you are at your natural weight and not cutting.

I am more concerned with logistics of doing it at a tournament or multi-dual event. If you are eating a regular diet your weight will fluctuate a great deal during the day mainly depending upon how much you drink.Making weight multiple times in one day seems a little over the top and redundant. 

Cutting weight is a part of the sport for me. If they do go to a mat side weigh in we are still wrestling. Make the adjustments, and move on. I agree that logistics will be difficult, but if you just step on a scale when you check in for your first match of the day it could work. Might add an hour to a big tournament. Not saying I like the idea. I just think it is the only way to eliminate weight cutting IF that is a goal. 

If weight certification wasn't a thing I would get wanting to do this. I understand weight certification isn't 100% accurate but having the whole "weight plan" on top of having to constantly make weight would create more issues than already exist. We already have to make sure kids aren't loosing too much weight now we would have to make sure they don't gain too much weight. I understand the idea of eliminating weight cutting but like everything there will be ways to work the systems in time. I feel the best way to "fix" weight cutting is have the wrestler pass a dehydration test at the desire weight class simular to the way college did it when I was in college. If you pass it one week at 152 and miss it the next week and go back down to 152 then you have to pass again. May add time but at least the time would be added to weigh-ins and not the wrestling time.

1 hour ago, Rookies03 said:

Helps prevent kids from cutting a bunch and then replenishing after weigh-ins which is 60-90 mins before wrestling begins.  If you have to weigh-in every time you step on the mat then more likely you are at your natural weight and not cutting.

They'll just cut right up to when they weigh in and be even more miserable from not getting that replenishment period.. and imho will do more harm than good 

This is a problem coaches, parents and athletes need to deal with internally and responsibly..I don't think there's any certain way to nullify cutting across the board..it starts with the proper way of managing your weight and a system with your ppl.. if everybody did their part and looked out for their wrestler it wouldn't be near as bad..we have to get out out the mentality of depriving ourselves in order to have a ill advised never guaranteed advantage.. In MMA fighters are starting to realize that their natural weight and proper strength training will suit them better than cutting to the lower weight.. especially with Welterweights 170 that were cutting to 155.. they started started fighting at 170 and their careers began to skyrocket  at the once thought 2aw too big  they was running from...It doesn't make sense to stunt a kids growth while their naturally growing.. 

Proper dieting, training and clean living will go a long way especially compared to long nights doing damage to their bodies and organs.. I've cut 30 pounds in 6 days in 2007 for a fight and a few other bad cuts led me to realize I was so wrong and being detrimental to my growth and self.. I've never encouraged my guys to be "cutters" and never will. 

2 hours ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

This is a problem coaches, parents and athletes need to deal with internally and responsibly..I don't think there's any certain way to nullify cutting across the board..it starts with the proper way of managing your weight and a system with your ppl.. if everybody did their part and looked out for their wrestler it wouldn't be near as bad..we have to get out out the mentality of depriving ourselves in order to have a ill advised never guaranteed advantage.. In MMA fighters are starting to realize that their natural weight and proper strength training will suit them better than cutting to the lower weight.. especially with Welterweights 170 that were cutting to 155.. they started started fighting at 170 and their careers began to skyrocket  at the once thought 2aw too big  they was running from...It doesn't make sense to stunt a kids growth while their naturally growing.. 

Proper dieting, training and clean living will go a long way especially compared to long nights doing damage to their bodies and organs.. I've cut 30 pounds in 6 days in 2007 for a fight and a few other bad cuts led me to realize I was so wrong and being detrimental to my growth and self.. I've never encouraged my guys to be "cutters" and never will. 

I completely agree that the weight cutting problem is only solved by coaches, parents and athletes cause there just isnt a good way to legislate it as some will always find "work arounds".  I also agree with healthy living is the way to go but understand a kid "cutting" (within reason) down a weight class to make the lineup but not hard 15-30 lb cuts.  

The state talks about safety , even if a kid isn’t cutting weight and weighs in 5 times on a Saturday and has to maintain that weight all day that means he can barely eat or drink all day ! And safe is that for a child ? People who make these rules or even think about it apparently didn’t wrestle at any level . They don’t realize u drink a normal

bottle of water and u just gained 1.1 pounds . So in between matches if u decide to eat a sandwhich and drink a bottle of water that before u wrestle again u have to go run the hallways and cut 1.5 pounds .. makes no sense at all to weight in multiple times. 

Wouldn't it still accomplish the same thing and be more reasonable if mat-side weigh-ins were only done at the first match of the day? You still couldn't cut a ton or you'd get killed in that first round, but you don't have to worry about making weight again the rest of the day. As far as the weight management system, it's just far to easy to cheat if your AD doesn't take over and unfortunately, we have people who are my colleagues that will do whatever it takes to get a kid "certified" at a weight. But it's likely the best we'll ever get. I don't think Mat-side weigh-ins will ever be a thing. Too many logistics.

36 minutes ago, The Irish Knuckle said:

I perfer the after match weigh in like Jockey's in horse racing.  You weigh over your weight class you are DQ'ed.

Those mat tactics will really change when you need to cut a few more ounces to stay under.  Sure Coach I could pin him, but I need to work off this extra sip of water and bit of a granola bar so I'm grinding out an OT win instead.  

Elmo from Vision Quest would have said it best for this scenario....it's what happens in that six minutes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.