Team State: Upsets, Notable Matches, etc...

navy80

Cathedrals 170 SV win to start the meet off combined with a few key pins set the momentum early and EMD was just trying to claw back to no avail after that.    MD still has a very talented team which could win this dual on a different day, but they couldn’t solve the Cathedral puzzle today.  The Irish have earned the right to say they are the top dual team in the state.

Now on to the tournament scoring competitions, where a few teams may swap spots.  

Edited by MattM

It definitely went Cathedral's way today, starting with the opening match and Sollars losing a lead and then the match on a penalty point in OT.  The top 3 weights are where MD will struggle the most.  Their guys are capable, but susceptible to stronger wrestlers.  They couldn't stay off their backs and that hurt.  Then Egli, who is still very raw, getting pinned killed any real hope.  If 220, 285 and 106 only lose by major each, then we have a  battle going to the end.  Give Cathedral credit.  They got it done.

Congrats!

Worth also noting the big shift in the status quo that occurred at 1A today.  In the past most of placements have been populated by the northern schools, but the southern teams shown through today in a big way.  Hopefully this signals the needle is moving towards a more even north and south split at the 1A level in the future.  

Edited by MattM

What happened at the end of the Brownsburg - Warren match?  I looked away for a second....

McClain gets DQ'd for unsportsmanlike, but I missed what happened.  Also, in case anyone cares, they messed up the match before that in TW.  The girl working it couldn't figure out how to mark a match as complete by default (injury?) and the referee told her to just mark Forfeit.  Doing so, made Jacob Cookerly disappear from the match and killed the scoring info leading up to the default.  Not exactly what happened in that match with Brice Coleman either.  Seems like there was some tension going on. 

Edited by SWINfan
more info

That was a great match with Dickens and Rodgers. You couldn't tell that the outcome had already been decided. They went like that was the deciding match. Hope to see them again under the lights on Indy.

I was standing behind the scoring table for the Bellmont and Garrett match, I couldn't see anything.

With that said, I'm very proud of the defending 1A champs, Adams Central.  Went in unseeded....they lost by a combined total of 7 points in their 3 losses.  For a team that young coming off a strong football season....look out 1A teams next year!

12 minutes ago, AdamsCoBuschhh said:

I was standing behind the scoring table for the Bellmont and Garrett match, I couldn't see anything.

With that said, I'm very proud of the defending 1A champs, Adams Central.  Went in unseeded....they lost by a combined total of 7 points in their 3 losses.  For a team that young coming off a strong football season....look out 1A teams next year!

Might of been your angle but I know everyone I was with behind the Garrett bench saw it. Congrats to all the state champs today!

29 minutes ago, bigballerb said:

Anyone else notice the full Nelson the Bellmont kid had for about 5 seconds before he pinned the Garrett kid to win the title? I thought it was very very obvious. @nkraus you saw this right?

Looked like he had the half on one side and the wrist on the other to me. 

13 hours ago, bigballerb said:

Anyone else notice the full Nelson the Bellmont kid had for about 5 seconds before he pinned the Garrett kid to win the title? I thought it was very very obvious. @nkraus you saw this right?

Yes.  We seen it.   It was frustrating to me that a call like that was missed.   It doesn’t mean we would’ve won by any means.  Nonetheless Bellmont was the better team.  Hats off to them.  We wrestled tough.  

Edited by nkraus

4 hours ago, SWINfan said:

The deal was already sealed.....   math, schmath, they weren't coming back  once Egli got pinned

Can’t say that for sure(other than it’s done now). Had Ross picked up one more point and then Boarman not have lost,EMD wins by 1. You act like they were too far out of it. Kudos to Cathedral though on going out and getting it done. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.