Tallest wrestlers and wrestlers tall for their weight class?

Jayruss

Has  to be a couple towering HWTs our there that were way past 6ft?

I recall Yorktown had a pretty tall non-HWT wrestler a few years back.  I feel like he ended up facing an equally tall opponent in a consolation round of state his final year. 

Edited by MattM

6 hours ago, MattM said:

Has  to be a couple towering HWTs our there that were way past 6ft?

I recall Yorktown had a pretty tall non-HWT wrestler a few years back.  I feel like he ended up facing an equally tall opponent in a consolation round of state his final year. 

Has to be Michael Burk or Scott Neff? And i'm leaving towards Neff that got 7th in 2011@189

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

Jason Fryar, 2000 heavyweight state champ for Whiteland, was very tall. I believe he was 6'8" but others can correct me if I'm wrong. 

For my money, one of the craziest finishes I ever saw was when he was down a few points late and launched future 3-time NCAA All-American Greg Wagner to win state. I'd seen Fryar a bunch over the years and was amazed he'd made it that far. And I'd never seen him hit a throw before. Crazy moment.

Fryar is top right here in case you're confused which one he is:

Edited by maligned

I was thinking about the same kid.  He was very tall.  And it was an amazing finish to the match.  As I recall, Jason made the throw and put Wagner on his back with just enough time to get the near-fall and victory.  (My memory might be off though.)  I remember thinking, “Why is Wagner letting Fryar lock up with him with just seconds to go?!!!”  Wagner did get his state title the next year though as I recall.

I recall Calvin Walterhouse from Elkhart Memorial in the early mid 2000's.  He was really tall and skinny at 152 etc. and could cradle and pin most people if he got control.  Those arms were able to reach from distances most people's couldn't.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.