Weight certification

Brey

Generally, I hate to see any negative posts about our sport. However, I have heard alarming news (parents from the team)that a HS coach had access to change the “alpha weights” (IHSAA certification)and did so for his kids. First of all, why do coaches have access to this? (I thought it was an AD thing). Secondly, if our system is foolproof why does this happen?  In late 80’s and early 90’s our sport suffered losses due to improper weight management. I hope this isn’t true but needs to be addressed if it occurred. Please enlighten me with knowledge about this. 
Bryan Bailey

bebailey73@hotmail.com

1 hour ago, Brey said:

Generally, I hate to see any negative posts about our sport. However, I have heard alarming news (parents from the team)that a HS coach had access to change the “alpha weights” (IHSAA certification)and did so for his kids. First of all, why do coaches have access to this? (I thought it was an AD thing). Secondly, if our system is foolproof why does this happen?  In late 80’s and early 90’s our sport suffered losses due to improper weight management. I hope this isn’t true but needs to be addressed if it occurred. Please enlighten me with knowledge about this. 
Bryan Bailey

bebailey73@hotmail.com

It’s true. This is the second time he got caught cheating.   He  was suspended for two duals.  Should be on the next IHSAA minutes. 

Coaches do have access but every time an alpha weight gets changed an email goes to IHSAA office. If you do it then they IHSAA will know.  

Not sure why a coach would have the access either. Maybe there could be a legitimate reason a coach would need to edit that weight?!?

Edited by Rookies03

1 hour ago, jpt189 said:

Some coaches are their school’s athletic directors. That’s a possibility for things being changed sometimes 

I’m guessing some athletic directors who don’t want to deal with some additional tasks, likely give coaches access to “help” with part of the behind the scenes clerical work.  A few of these coaches likely take that task on instead of having to explain all the details to their AD or hint them  down constantly to get the work finishes on time. Not what the IHSAA wants to happen, since coaches could use this access to take advantage of something as is likely the case here.   No one exactly signed ask to do all the added IHSAA task some sports require, but the AD should be available to handle them for those sports since that’s part of the job requirements.  I’m not sure if a few meets out is punishment enough or not for the coach, but if the AD gave the coach free unchecked access to this stuff then that person should also be punished in some way.  

Edited by MattM

I have a question....Is this any different than a FB coach forging a concussion protocol clearance?  They are both in regards to the overall health of the student athlete?  If so, what would the FB coaches discipline have been?  2 games?  Seems to me 2 duals is a very lean punishment.  You are talking about young kids lives.  

40 minutes ago, #TheBrand said:

I have a question....Is this any different than a FB coach forging a concussion protocol clearance?  They are both in regards to the overall health of the student athlete?  If so, what would the FB coaches discipline have been?  2 games?  Seems to me 2 duals is a very lean punishment.  You are talking about young kids lives.  

Add on second offense. He would be fired.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.