Remind me the rule on tourneys and duals...

Clint Gard

3 minutes ago, LionsFan said:

You are allowed 18 points. Minimum of six duals which are a point each. Tournaments are worth 2 points each but no requirements other than staying under the total of 18 schedule points.

Right but if you have to have at least 6 duals, then you can't have more than 6 tournaments.  You could have 8 duals and 5 tourneys but you can't go over 6.

Or from my understanding if you don’t have 6 duals  you would have to sacrifice the points as if you had 6.  In other you would have to have points left over that should have been for the dual.  

Also worth noting when you guys say dual it’s a single dual is 1 point.  And when you say tournaments it also includes Multi-duals to which are both 2 points each.  

Then you have the newer tri-dual exception which counts towards your 6 dual meet minimum, but I can’t recall if it’s 1pt or 2pt towards your teams overall total.    

Edited by MattM

2 hours ago, MattM said:

Or from my understanding if you don’t have 6 duals  you would have to sacrifice the points as if you had 6.  In other you would have to have points left over that should have been for the dual.  

Also worth noting when you guys say dual it’s a single dual is 1 point.  And when you say tournaments it also includes Multi-duals to which are both 2 points each.  

Then you have the newer tri-dual exception which counts towards your 6 dual meet minimum, but I can’t recall if it’s 1pt or 2pt towards your teams overall total.    

I believe anytime you wrestle more than once, it counts as two points. I wasn’t aware of losing points if you didn’t schedule enough duals.

8 minutes ago, LionsFan said:

I believe anytime you wrestle more than once, it counts as two points. I wasn’t aware of losing points if you didn’t schedule enough duals.

I guess it’s not really losing the point, it’s just leaving them in the table.  Let say you have your 6th dual meet cancelled due to weather and it isn’t made up.  Essentially you couldn’t turn around and use that point to help you jumping into a late season tournament or multi-dual (if you had another point someplace too).   So either find another dual to meet the required 6 or leave that point on the table.  IHSAA isn’t penalizing you for not getting 6, as much as it’s saying you can’t just fill your schedule with tournaments and multi-duals without regard for booking single dual meets too.  

Edited by MattM

10 minutes ago, LionsFan said:

You don’t really “lose” points.  You just voluntarily give them up.  Basically, you can have up to a MAXIMUM of 18 points but can’t use more than 12 of them in “tournaments” (including multi-duals).  But you don’t have to use all 18.  (Some teams don’t in fact.)

Edited by piscis1956
Fixed typo

17 minutes ago, ehscoach said:

There aren’t “points” per say anymore. You can have no more than 6 tournaments (or an event with 3 or more matches). The conference counts as one of your 6.

you can also have 6 duals. Triple duals count 2 of your duals and not one of your tournaments.

Are you saying you can only have a maximum of 6 duals?

25 minutes ago, piscis1956 said:

Are you saying you can only have a maximum of 6 duals?

No. Sorry that was misleading. My understanding is that the if you go 5 tournaments than you could have 7 duals. Or 4 tournaments and 8 duals. 

we were told that “points” weren’t really a thing anymore when the 6 duals became the standard.

This is the IHSAA by-law

60-2 The maximum number of season wrestling dual meets in which any team or student may participate, excluding the IHSAA Tournament Series, shall be Eighteen (18); however, a team or student may participate in additional season tournaments (an interschool wrestling Rule 60 - Wrestling 116 meet which involved Three (3) or more schools is a tournament) up to a maximum of Six (6), provided each tournament counts as Two (2) of the Eighteen (18) dual meets. A triangular meet (double dual) is counted as Two (2) dual meets towards a team’s Six (6) dual meet maximum. Each weigh-in for any tournament shall count as only One (1) weighin toward the minimum requirements for IHSAA Tournament Series qualification.

Edited by chambers

16 minutes ago, ehscoach said:

No. Sorry that was misleading. My understanding is that the if you go 5 tournaments than you could have 7 duals. Or 4 tournaments and 8 duals. 

we were told that “points” weren’t really a thing anymore when the 6 duals became the standard.

Your numbers don't add up to 18. With each tournament counting as 2 and a dual counting as 1. 

5 tournaments = 10

7 duals = 7

10 + 7 =17.

Or 

4 tournaments = 8 

8 duals = 8

8+8 =16

Instead if you only had 5 tournaments you could have 8 duals. Or if you only had 4 tournaments you could have 10 duals. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.