4x Al Smith Champs

ontherise219

First of all great work by @decbell1 for helping to bring back the Al smith programs with all of the champs from the past. Hopefully everyone who attended was able to pick that up. 
second 

There has only been 3 4x Al smith Champs 3! 
Randy Baker Bellmont, Tommy Forte Mishawaka, Drew Hughes Lowell. That is pretty amazing. But 2 wrestlers are on their way to 4 after winning 2 in their first 2 tries 

Zeke Seltzer Cathedral (113,120) 

Jesse Mendez Crown Point (126,132)

these 2 have looked dominant and I would be shocked if they lost the next 2 years. 
Third 

Mendez has won Back to Back OW(the most pins in the least amount of time for a champ) has anyone won 2 OW’s? He could be a 4x ow winner also

Jesse Mendez reminds me a lot of Andrew Howe/Nick Lee regarding his aggression offensively. He makes good wrestlers look average at best. It’s remarkable. 

Being able to watch him on the IHSAA app for last years state finals and the Mishawaka Channel on YouTube was a privilege. 

Curious to see if Zeke and Mendez find themselves in the pantheon of Howe, Escebedo, Lee, Red, Parris, Humphrey, and Micic when it is all said and done (high school and college careers  combined). And I am assuming Joe Lee and Brayton Lee have AA status in their near future as well. They both look to be on that trajectory. 

Edited by SunDevils

18 minutes ago, Penn04 said:

Assuming he doesn’t follow the Nick Lee path and find something better to do with his time his senior year. I hope that’s not the case, he’s fun to watch. 

We also need to remember there was serious talk of Mendez crossing the boarder to begin his HS career at Mt. Carmel with Alex Tsirtsis.  So I’m good to glass half full the time we have to enjoy his talent in Indiana.  But if he decides to lead the revolution And stick around for college I’ll be happy to make that a full glass.  

42 minutes ago, MattM said:

We also need to remember there was serious talk of Mendez crossing the boarder to begin his HS career at Mt. Carmel with Alex Tsirtsis.  So I’m good to glass half full the time we have to enjoy his talent in Indiana.  But if he decides to lead the revolution And stick around for college I’ll be happy to make that a full glass.  

It's an interesting scenario. I don't see anyone going three periods with Mendez this year. He will likely pin or tech fall everyone through another state title. Imagine how it will be as a junior and senior for him. I couldn't blame him if he went to Mt. Carmel with Alex or followed the Lee's path.... 

On 12/30/2019 at 6:00 PM, navy80 said:

It's an interesting scenario. I don't see anyone going three periods with Mendez this year. He will likely pin or tech fall everyone through another state title. Imagine how it will be as a junior and senior for him. I couldn't blame him if he went to Mt. Carmel with Alex or followed the Lee's path.... 

Is there any Nick Lee level stud moving up the ranks that would go at Mendez like the Lee/Micic matchup? Obviously senior Mendez would be favored. Or does Zeke gain some weight and produce a Red/Lee type match? 

Edited by SunDevils

On 12/30/2019 at 7:00 PM, navy80 said:

Even though Alex is a huge reason why Jesse has been successful, Jesse would never leave Crown Point. The coaching staff at CP is amazing. 

The only scenario where he leaves CP early is if he decides to go to the OTC his senior year, but it sounds like he wants to try and win state with his teammates. Plus his mom and me would like to keep him around a few more years. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.