Holiday Tourney Upsets, Bad Draws, Great Matches, etc.

SWINfan

Only casually following Al Smith... but noticed an interesting first round result between state ranked wrestlers...

@182 #2 Aiden Warren dec #10 Caden Friedt 4-2.  Friedt, unseeded, had a 2-1 lead gave up a penalty point for stalling with :19 left and Warren landed a takedown with :09 left to get the win.  

At Mater Dei in a first round match up Reed Egli (MD) won by fall over Coy Hammack (Tell City).  Hammack had dominated the match in the first two periods with two take downs and manhandling Egli on top and led 6-0 going to the 3rd.  Egli chose top and looked just as dominating getting a turn for back points and eventually turning it into a fall.  I think we'll both wrestlers in the state rankings before too long.

Also, Brayden Lowery handled Mater Dei's Ashton Hayhurst 10-1.  You could tell it was Hayhurst's first match of the year.  Lowery did what he does, but I expect to see good things from Hayhurst later in the year.  His addition definitely makes MD's lineup stronger.

Edited by SWINfan

I take full responsibility for not following Swin's rules and posting under Al Smith thread (I know better!) ..but...

Steenbeke vs Rodgers in quarters will be a good measuring stick for the Penn freshman. Not saying he's winning, so calm down, but will should be a good early career match vs a state champ. Wish I was there.....

Mater Dei 126 Semi Finals tomorrow morning... 4 studs- 1 champion

1 seed- Lowery Roncalli, IN 14-0 (placed 3rd, 5th, 3rd in Indiana state finals)

4 seed- Alstott Fl. Central, IN  19-0 (placed 4th and SQ in Indiana state finals)

3 seed- Dalrymple CB, TN 21-3 (placed 2nd and 3rd in Tennessee state finals)

2 seed-Koderhandt BW, IL  17-0 (placed 2nd in Illinois state finals)

Freijie Roncalli over Fitts Mater Dei 1-0.

Fitts started out the day beating Pledger ST X 2 time state qualifier 3-2. He then losses by 1 to state 4th place finisher. He will likely have the loser of Payne Carr and Jonathan Kervin tomorrow morning... 

7 minutes ago, navy80 said:

Fitts started out the day beating Pledger ST X 2 time state qualifier 3-2. He then losses by 1 to state 4th place finisher. He will likely have the loser of Payne Carr and Jonathan Kervin tomorrow morning... 

Would sure like to know what EMD coach mouthed to Frieje when he came over to shake hands. Didn’t sit well with Frieje not the Roncalli coach

12 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

Tyce Frieje wins by 1-0 dec over Scott Fitts.  The lone point was a penalty point, on a full nelson, I believe.  Both wrestlers rode well on top.

Gotta run for now.....  Navy, mind doing a Round 1 recap?  

Im out too!!! I will try late tonight.

1 hour ago, navy80 said:

Mater Dei 126 Semi Finals tomorrow morning... 4 studs- 1 champion

1 seed- Lowery Roncalli, IN 14-0 (placed 3rd, 5th, 3rd in Indiana state finals)

4 seed- Alstott Fl. Central, IN  19-0 (placed 4th and SQ in Indiana state finals)

3 seed- Dalrymple CB, TN 21-3 (placed 2nd and 3rd in Tennessee state finals)

2 seed-Koderhandt BW, IL  17-0 (placed 2nd in Illinois state finals)

Does the program say when the semis start ?

2 hours ago, navy80 said:

Fitts was DQ in his next match ...... he will not have a tomorrow in this tournament.

9 hours ago, SWINfan said:

Only casually following Al Smith... but noticed an interesting first round result between state ranked wrestlers...

@182 #2 Aiden Warren dec #10 Caden Friedt 4-2.  Friedt, unseeded, had a 2-1 lead gave up a penalty point for stalling with :19 left and Warren landed a takedown with :09 left to get the win.  

would loved to watch this match.  Warren has a motor and never stops so does not surprise me.  Looks like this is 2nd close match between these two.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.