Mater Dei Holiday Classic - Results & Discussion

SWINfan

6 hours ago, SWINfan said:

What did I miss?  No way I saw or thought of everything!

It was a great tourney, especially with the addition of 2 good  programs in Roncalli and Portage. They brought some hammers. No disrespect here but I really never thought I’d see as much theatrics from a coaching corner as I have seen from some of the coaching down here in the dirty south, but Roncalli says hold my beer. Maybe it’s just being so young, but to see them consistently run onto the mat several times and constantly challenging(even though it was a clear obvious good call) was taking away from the action in my opinion.

1 minute ago, 1prouddad said:

It was a great tourney, especially with the addition of 2 good  programs in Roncalli and Portage. They brought some hammers. No disrespect here but I really never thought I’d see as much theatrics from a coaching corner as I have seen from some of the coaching down here in the dirty south, but Roncalli says hold my beer. Maybe it’s just being so young, but to see them consistently run onto the mat several times and constantly challenging(even though it was a clear obvious good call) was taking away from the action in my opinion.

I agree. I think those coaches are just young. Give them a few years to mature a bit. They’ll be okay. 

3 hours ago, navy80 said:

Who got outstanding wrestler and best match?

Don’t know but here’s my list and why

Ross(EMD) not only did he beat Pan Am Champ Gilbert in a very good match, but also took out Ky #1 Eckman(UC. 

Konderhadt(BW) don’t think he gave up a single offensive point in route to a title that he lost last year via DQ to Ross. Solid wrestler 

Peterson(Father Ryan)- 3 1st period falls and a Major in the finals 10-0. Wow

5 hours ago, navy80 said:

My thoughts on day two in person...

106- Lots of good little guys. I can see all of them at the state finals.

126-Alstott with a HUGE win over Lowery. He looked good. The finals match was awkward with all the blood time. The Konderhandt kid from Illinois is a stud and will contend for an Illinois state title. Very tough weight class with Lowery only beating the Tennessee kid 4-2 in a close match. Hayhurst has a lot of potential. He took 5th. 

138- Conway impressed me today. Kid had two solid wins and nearly pulled off the upset of Boarman in the finals.

145- Viduya looked consistent. He came from behind in the 3rd period to get the win over the number one ranked kid from Tennessee.

152- Kervin and Frejie will both be at the state finals and both should place. Good match. 

170- Sollars looked good. I was impressed by him and his ability to ride. 

182-Parkinson was winning the match until the third. Then Ervin sort of took control. Good rivalry. 

195-Eason is a tough wrestler. I look for him to punch his ticket to state. He is currently unranked in the state. 

220- WOWZERS... WILLMAN  N. POSEY just got noticed. Where has that kid been? Looks to be about 6'3 195lbs wrestling 220lbs. He can ride well. He was getting beat the whole match and comes from behind to win. He kept his composure and poise. He's something like 24-0 now. 

Willman walks around at 195. 

7 hours ago, navy80 said:

220- WOWZERS... WILLMAN  N. POSEY just got noticed. Where has that kid been? Looks to be about 6'3 195lbs wrestling 220lbs. He can ride well. He was getting beat the whole match and comes from behind to win. He kept his composure and poise. He's something like 24-0 now.

Nate is now a 2X Holiday Classic Champ and also had a big win over Will Stewart of South Spencer (#3 @220) earlier this year at the PAC duals.

7 hours ago, Cappy said:

Nate is now a 2X Holiday Classic Champ and also had a big win over Will Stewart of South Spencer (#3 @220) earlier this year at the PAC duals.

Hmmm... did he used to be 113? I wondered if it was him but that is quite a weight jump! lol. I look forward to watching him at semi state and state.

Thanks for the info on the win over Spencer. That will shoot him to the top of Eville ss rankings.

1 minute ago, navy80 said:

Hmmm... did he used to be 113? I wondered if it was him but that is quite a weight jump! lol. I look forward to watching him at semi state and state.

Thanks for the info on the win over Spencer. That will shoot him to the top of Eville ss rankings.

Yes! His freshman year

106 Egli-Not bad for skipping a few years of wrestling.  Glad you came back out so we can have a couple more years of Egli

113 Ross-Expect him to be under the light.  Has offense and defense

120 Freeman-Like stated earlier expect him to face Seltzer/Bettich in February

126 Don't know much about Hayhurst

132 Kane Egli can wrestle against ANY 132lber in the state except for one SuperSoph from up North

138 Boarman is Boarman.  Looks much much stronger than previous years.  Will make top 10 greatest MD wrestlers of all time

145 Bauman proved he could wrestle with any 145llber in state.  Doesn't matter what weight class he's not afraid to wrestle.

152 Already holds the MD record for DQs at 2.  

160 Eli will get it done in February

170 Sollars is only a sophmore and looks like he jumped over the hump.  No more freshman baby fat and now man muscles.  I have high expectations for him in February

182 McCartney should have another metal this year

195 McGrew is a warrior.  RESPECT for going out there underweight

HWY Ralph puts on another 20lbs he should be fine by his senior year

Shout out to North Posey's Nathan Willman.  Respect for going out there underweight and devouring opponents like Pac Man

Edited by PhillyFanMD

2 hours ago, PhillyFanMD said:

106 Egli-Not bad for skipping a few years of wrestling.  Glad you came back out so we can have a couple more years of Egli

132 Kane Egli can wrestle against ANY 132lber in the state except for one SuperSoph from up North

138 Boarman is Boarman.  Looks much much stronger than previous years.  Will make top 10 greatest MD wrestlers of all time

145 Bauman proved he could wrestle with any 145llber in state.  Doesn't matter what weight class he's not afraid to wrestle.

170 Sollars is only a sophmore and looks like he jumped over the hump.  No more freshman baby fat and now man muscles.  I have high expectations for him in February

Shout out to North Posey's Nathan Willman.  Respect for going out there underweight and devouring opponents like Pac Man

Mater Dei is definitely scary in dual or tournament format.  I am just glad they have to go through the meat grinder called Evansville semi state, which might thin the herd.   

3 hours ago, PhillyFanMD said:

How undersized is McGrew?  I know last year wrestling 195 at the Grappler Gold tourney in Michigan, he weighed in at 180.  Not sure what he weights during football season.

On 12/29/2019 at 12:04 AM, 1prouddad said:

They always do that. The younger brother is really immature. Usually will run on the mat clapping and yelling. Hopefully he grows out of it. 

On 12/29/2019 at 12:04 AM, 1prouddad said:

Are you referring to the match where an illegal was being ran on the Roncalli kid? Where the coaches were fighting for the kids safety? I say good for the Rebel Coaches

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.