Mater Dei Holiday Classic - Results & Discussion

SWINfan

Wrestling to begin soon...

I started this thread for those that want to get directly to the results.  If you haven't already, check out the excellent Preview thread from Navy80.  It was updated yesterday with the brackets and seeds coming out.

Mater Dei got 2 not so great breaks in the draw.  
- @106 Reed Egli (MD) is seeded 3rd and drew Coy Hammack (TC).  Hammack is only 2-0 so he didn't have enough wins to be seeded, but it definitely a threat to win the whole thing.  Don't be surprised if the loser of that match is later battling for 3rd/4th Place
- Alec Freeman moves down to 120 and Ashton Hayhurst moves into the lineup at 126.  Hayhurst, yet to wrestle this season, is unseeded and drew Brayden Lowrey of Roncalli in Round 1

Edited by SWINfan
more info

I'm watching from home.  May not be able to avoid work all day, but I'll do my best.  The one thing I know is Mater Dei is currently in 8th Place with Franklin Community leading the way in 1st Place.......  then again, only 1st round FFs have been posted.

I purchased the PPV so I could watch a handful of matches while traveling.  I was scheduled to attend both days, but I had to give up the trip so I could go to Orlando/Jacksonville to watch Bama vs Michigan and IU vs Tennessee.....tough trade-off.

Thank you in advance for any updates/details.

3 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

I thought I had read wrestling on day one was at 10 am.  The feed for Mat 1 is live but there is not much going on so maybe they are starting at 11:00?  Anyone know the schedule?

I was told 10am as well but I agree they don't look close to starting.  They don't have mats assigned yet according to TrackWrestling Team Bout Schedule.

Just now, Indysportsfan said:

I was told 10am as well but I agree they don't look close to starting.  They don't have mats assigned yet according to TrackWrestling Team Bout Schedule.

Check that, they just posted Bout #'s for the Roncalli team, but only one assigned to a Mat.

8 minutes ago, Indysportsfan said:

I purchased the PPV so I could watch a handful of matches while traveling.  I was scheduled to attend both days, but I had to give up the trip so I could go to Orlando/Jacksonville to watch Bama vs Michigan and IU vs Tennessee.....tough trade-off.

Thank you in advance for any updates/details.

Have fun.  Sadly, I think both of those games may be ugly and not in favor of the Big Ten teams.  If Alabama is interested, I don't see Michigan keeping up.  Less sure on IU - Tennessee, but I HATE Tennessee!

2 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

Have fun.  Sadly, I think both of those games may be ugly and not in favor of the Big Ten teams.  If Alabama is interested, I don't see Michigan keeping up.  Less sure on IU - Tennessee, but I HATE Tennessee!

My daughter attends Bama, so I am hopeful you are 1/2 right....I actually see IU winning, it is time for them to get back on the winning side when it comes to a bowl game.

9 minutes ago, Indysportsfan said:

My daughter attends Bama, so I am hopeful you are 1/2 right....I actually see IU winning, it is time for them to get back on the winning side when it comes to a bowl game.

I live in Bama and am rooting for Michigan.  Ha Ha   

12 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

Mat 3 is now live.  The error message is a bit misleading.  All 3 mats are full of wrestlers warming up and video seems solid.  I streamed Mat 1 to my TV for a bit and the video quality was good.

Mat 3 still down for me.  I sent an email as well.

Not sure about a lot of these preliminary matches, but I did see that Ev. Memorial's Eli Wuerth (seeded 17th) won by fall over 5 seed Austin Hedges of Louisville Trinity.  Hedges finished 3rd in the Classic last year and was a KY State Qualifier.

Lousville Trinity's Ty Lehman has to hate Preliminary Matches at the MD Classic.  Seeded 4th, he just lost to Father Ryan's Andrew Layden.  Last year, Lehman, lost his preliminary bout to Trey Mucker of Tell City and went on to come back and finish 3rd, avenging the loss to Mucker in the consis.

11 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

Lousville Trinity's Ty Lehman has to hate Preliminary Matches at the MD Classic.  Seeded 4th, he just lost to Father Ryan's Andrew Layden.  Last year, Lehman, lost his preliminary bout to Trey Mucker of Tell City and went on to come back and finish 3rd, avenging the loss to Mucker in the consis.

And Mucker went and qualified for state, placing 8th. Breakout year for him. 

look for Lehman to work his way through the wrestle backs. 

5 minutes ago, navy80 said:

And Mucker went and qualified for state, placing 8th. Breakout year for him. 

look for Lehman to work his way through the wrestle backs. 

The loss may have made it a little easier for Brody Baumann to get to the semis to face Alec Viduya.  Lehman would have likely been Baumann's 2nd round match up

What a match at 106 to kick things off!   

Coy Hammack dominated Reed Egli for the first two periods and had a 6-0 lead into the 3rd.  Egli could do nothing on bottom and had been taken down twice and chose top.  He was able to work Hammack and get him turned for backs and eventually got the fall.  Egli looked a good bit smaller than Hammack but the kid battles.  Hammack is good.  Expect to see him deep in the consolation bracket taking a run at 3rd Place.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.