Al Smith Date Change

decbell1

I’ve heard of more shocking Al Smith seeding meeting moments, but this one is definitely a change of pace for them.  

Was a reasoning as to why it’s being moved pre-Christmas provided?

Edited by MattM

16 minutes ago, observer said:

Christmas is on Friday next year. Would make sense to have before.

They could have it during the week between Christmas and New Years weekend.  Only issue I can see would be a conflict with another school event.  

2 minutes ago, littlevito said:

How many schools are still in session?

I’m guessing at least some schools would be in session part of that week depending on how they set up their holiday break.  

1 hour ago, busstogate said:

So the school board won't make an exception for Bellmont?  I find that hard to believe.

Most schools and the IHSAA doesn’t like to hear about students having to  miss class time to participate in extra curricular activities if it is possible to avoid it in any way.  Occasionally exceptions can be made, like leaving early due to attending the state tournament.  But asking to pull students out of two full days of schools for a mid-season event would likely be a no go in most districts.   I’m glad to hear that Mishawaka was able to arrange a more fitting set of dates.  

Edited by MattM

7 hours ago, MattM said:

Most schools and the IHSAA doesn’t like to hear about students having to  miss class time to participate in extra curricular activities if it is possible to avoid it in any way.  Occasionally exceptions can be made, like leaving early due to attending the state tournament.  But asking to pull students out of two full days of schools for a mid-season event would likely be a no go in most districts.   I’m glad to hear that Mishawaka was able to arrange a more fitting set of dates.  

After some very valued input from coaches and officials alike that have many years of experience with helping to make the Al Smith the tournament that it is today....Coach Steven Sandefer was able to communicate those concerns on the fly this morning with his Athletic Directors as he was busy coaching and they were busy getting this tournament started this morning.  Credit to our AD's Dean Huppert and Sherry Keyser to trust the information that was being relayed in such swift motion and realizing immediately an alternative date was needed right away.  Thankfully our Athletic Department take a lot of pride in running the best tournament that we can...and that is accomplished with the valued, constructive and positive input as was received from many of you today.  

Edited by SharkBit

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.