Pre Al Smith vs MD Classic

Jayruss

The Al Smith is tougher, no doubt. They have more teams and more large schools compared to the fewer and smaller Mater Dei classic teams. 

I prefer Mater Dei all day ery day because I wrestled in it... but mostly because it brings state ranked kids from four states (Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois, Tennessee)  to one tournament. The Al Smith is all Indiana kids. 

53 minutes ago, navy80 said:

The Al Smith is tougher, no doubt. They have more teams and more large schools compared to the fewer and smaller Mater Dei classic teams. 

I prefer Mater Dei all day ery day because I wrestled in it... but mostly because it brings state ranked kids from four states (Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois, Tennessee)  to one tournament. The Al Smith is all Indiana kids. 

I feel it’s deeper due to the fact being more teams. Belleville and Father Ryan aren’t slouches. Union County would be a top 7 team in Indiana. I’m just not convinced that it is a lock that every year Al Smith Champs beats MD classic champs. 

1 hour ago, Jayruss said:

I feel it’s deeper due to the fact being more teams. Belleville and Father Ryan aren’t slouches. Union County would be a top 7 team in Indiana. I’m just not convinced that it is a lock that every year Al Smith Champs beats MD classic champs. 

Al Smith has 7 #1's and 8 #2's(15 total) compared to Mater Dei's 3 #1's and 2 #2's(5 total).  I would have Al Smith champs taking 10 of the 14 from Mater Dei champs.  I am familiar with the out of state kids in the lower weights at Mater Dei, but not sure about upper weight guys.

Edited by Sig40

Just now, Sig40 said:

Al Smith has 7 #1's and 8 #2's(15 total) compared to Mater Dei's 3 #1's and 2 #2's(5 total).  I would have Al Smith champs taking 10 of the 14 from Mater Dei champs.

We shall see good sir.

6 hours ago, Sig40 said:

Al Smith has 7 #1's and 8 #2's(15 total) compared to Mater Dei's 3 #1's and 2 #2's(5 total).  I would have Al Smith champs taking 10 of the 14 from Mater Dei champs.  I am familiar with the out of state kids in the lower weights at Mater Dei, but not sure about upper weight guys.

You must only be counting # 1’s & 2’s from Indiana because EMD Classic had more than 5 when I looked.

i don’t know enough (outside of internet research) regarding the out of state kids. I was able to find results where several of them own wins over our top wrestlers (freestyle).

Al Smith is loaded, and from what I know it is deeper.  With that said, ANY CHAMP from the Classic will be (1) an outstanding wrestler and (2) would have earned their title by defeating outstanding competitors.

10 hours ago, Sig40 said:

MD holiday classic with 13 #1s and 14 #2s for 27 total

8 hours ago, Indysportsfan said:

You must only be counting # 1’s & 2’s from Indiana because EMD Classic had more than 5 when I looked.

i don’t know enough (outside of internet research) regarding the out of state kids. I was able to find results where several of them own wins over our top wrestlers (freestyle).

Al Smith is loaded, and from what I know it is deeper.  With that said, ANY CHAMP from the Classic will be (1) an outstanding wrestler and (2) would have earned their title by defeating outstanding competitors.

I most definitely am not counting the other states. I am familiar with most of those kids and they don’t hold up to our number 1 and 2’s. Classic is probably the 2nd best in state tournament, just doesn’t hold up to Al Smith. 

The Al Smith: formerly the Mishawaka Invite has been Indiana’s premier High School invite for over 35 years. It gets no better.  Crown Point. Cathedral. The mighty Panthers of FW Snider. That’s enough for me.  I shall be in attendance. Then it’s a short drive to Evanston.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.