THE Mater Dei Classic Preview (76 ranked wrestlers) UPDATED

navy80

8 minutes ago, Indysportsfan said:

Here are a few impressive resumes for 2-seeds that will be a challenge for the 1-seed if the match occurs:

126 -- Josh Koderhandt (15-0):   Ranked 3rd in Illinois 3A. Ranked 11th in the Country according to USA Weekly. Placed 3rd in 2017, Placed 2nd in 2018, won the 2019 Hinsdale Central Tournament with all tech falls.

138 -- Aidan Bowers (18-5):  Prep National All-American, Flo-National Greco All-American, Black Horse 2019 Champ

145 -- Garrett Bowers (22-1):  2x State Champ, 3x State placer, Flo-National All-American, Prep Nationals All-American, Pre-season Nationals All-American in Iowa.  2019 Kansas City Stampede Champ.  Ranked #24th nationally by WIN magazine.

A few other tidbits that relate to the competition:

120: Kody Glithero, ranked #8 in Indiana, is seeded 6th in his bracket.

126: Dayne Dalrymple, 2nd and 3rd place finisher in his state, is seeded 3rd in his bracket.  Gavinn Alstott, undefeated and ranked #6 in Indiana, is seeded 4th.

138: Sean Pitts, 3rd place in his State, seeded 5th in his bracket.

152: Jonathan Kervin, ranked #2 in Indiana, is seeded 3rd in his bracket.  Tyce Freije, 2x State Placer & ranked #6, is seeded 4th.

160:  JaCorey Miller, state runner-up, seeded 3rd in his bracket.

195: John McGrew, ranked #8 in Indiana, is seeded 6th in his bracket.

220: Al Wooten, 2019 State Champ, seeded #2 in his bracket.

A note on Koderhandt.... He finished 2nd at the MD Classic last year to Cole Ross at 113.  He had a 2-1 lead in the 3rd period and lost by DQ after an illegal slam.  It was a tight match.  As previously noted, he went on to finish 2nd at IL State to Colton Drousias.

152 should be seeded:

1. Carr

2. Kervin

3. Freije

4. Madson

Madson got pinned and teched by two different Union kids last season alone and Carr appears to be as good as those other two Union kids. The win for Carr over Kervin is the reason for Kervin being below him. Madson shouldn’t sniff the the top seed. I look for Freije to make the finals on that side of the bracket. 

20 minutes ago, SIwrestling said:

152 should be seeded:

1. Carr

2. Kervin

3. Freije

4. Madson

Madson got pinned and teched by two different Union kids last season alone and Carr appears to be as good as those other two Union kids. The win for Carr over Kervin is the reason for Kervin being below him. Madson shouldn’t sniff the the top seed. I look for Freije to make the finals on that side of the bracket. 

Who someone may or may not have beaten last year has no bearing on the seeds.  Criteria in order are:
1. State Placement
2. Mater Dei Holiday Classic Placement in 2018
3. At least 5 matches wrestled this year
4. Winning %
5. # of wins
Head to Head this year is factored in after the order is established from the criteria above.

11 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

Who someone may or may not have beaten last year has no bearing on the seeds.  Criteria in order are:
1. State Placement
2. Mater Dei Holiday Classic Placement in 2018
3. At least 5 matches wrestled this year
4. Winning %
5. # of wins
Head to Head this year is factored in after the order is established from the criteria above.

I know how the seeding works. Just the way it is. Kervin and Carr was a close match this year. I could see Kervin pulling through this time.

2 minutes ago, SIwrestling said:

I know how the seeding works. Just the way it is. Kervin and Carr was a close match this year. I could see Kervin pulling through this time.

I see the winner of Fitts/Freijie battling the Kervin/Carr winner. I think the Kervin/Carr winner is the favorite. But not by that much. 

1 minute ago, navy80 said:

I see the winner of Fitts/Freijie battling the Kervin/Carr winner. I think the Kervin/Carr winner is the favorite. But not by that much. 

I'd be interested to see how a match  between Kervin and Fitts would go.  Kervin is about as tall as you will see at this weight and Fitts is close to the opposite.  That weight will be interesting for sure.

15 hours ago, gsmith58 said:

If Hammack is a decent sized 106, he's one of the best in the state. There are a lots of wrestlers in the rankings that he has lit up over the years through youth and middle school.

Hammack looks bigger than Egli for sure today.  Hammack dominated the first two periods until Egli took top in the 3rd.  Then Egli was just as strong on top as Hammack, even more so as he got the 3rd period fall.  Hammack was really impressive up until that point and I expect him to make a run through the consis in this tourney.  I'll just stay if Hammack is undersized, then Reed Egli is really undersized.  Give credit to Egli.  He battled and got the job done on top.  There were several times I though he was going to get pinned in the first two periods.

Thanks for the update. I saw the scoring and figured as much. As I recall from a couple of years back, Egli was lighting quick and a pretty talented wrestler. I would have thought Egli could hang around and keep it close, but I wouldn't have dreamed he could put Hammack on his back. It must have been a heck of an effort. 

The other thing I have observed over watching Hammack after a loss you don't want to be the next one in his path. 

Edited by gsmith58

2 hours ago, gsmith58 said:

Thanks for the update. I saw the scoring and figured as much. As I recall from a couple of years back, Egli was lighting quick and a pretty talented wrestler. I would have thought Egli could hang around and keep it close, but I wouldn't have dreamed he could put Hammack on his back. It must have been a heck of an effort. 

The other thing I have observed over watching Hammack after a loss you don't want to be the next one in his path. 

Egli lost a tough match in the quarterfinal.  It would not surprise me to see them face off again.  Honestly, my money would be on Hammack.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.