IHSAA Rules question

Jstephenson1356

IHSAA rules state that a wrestler has to participate in 75% of a season to be eligible for state series. The next part says unless it is waived for illness, injury, or ineligibility. If a wrestler was academically ineligible for the first half of season, but became eligible for the second half would this warrant the waiver? We are being told no and this just doesn’t make sense to me because then anyone who begins the season academically ineligible would be out for the state series even if they became eligible so what would the point of becoming eligible be if you can’t do it till halfway point of season and will be ineligible for post season. Any help is greatly appreciated!

5 hours ago, Jstephenson1356 said:

IHSAA rules state that a wrestler has to participate in 75% of a season to be eligible for state series. The next part says unless it is waived for illness, injury, or ineligibility. If a wrestler was academically ineligible for the first half of season, but became eligible for the second half would this warrant the waiver? We are being told no and this just doesn’t make sense to me because then anyone who begins the season academically ineligible would be out for the state series even if they became eligible so what would the point of becoming eligible be if you can’t do it till halfway point of season and will be ineligible for post season. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Is your wrestler able to go to meet and weigh in, just not wrestle. From what I’ve gathered and I could be wrong, so I hope someone else chimes in, but As long as they weigh in it counts. 

I asked our AD about this.  He said this rule is in place because at some schools they might have kids who would run cross country and after they didn't qualify for the regional, they would join their schools soccer team.

I was told if a wrestler is on our roster from day one, it is not an issue.

1 hour ago, Ed Pendoski said:

I asked our AD about this.  He said this rule is in place because at some schools they might have kids who would run cross country and after they didn't qualify for the regional, they would join their schools soccer team.

I was told if a wrestler is on our roster from day one, it is not an issue.

Thank you!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.