Question about rankings??

sstark

On 12/5/2019 at 5:40 PM, Mattyb said:

Saying rankings don’t mean anything is absolutely false. I can speak from experience. As soon as my son hit some national rankings. His phone, instagram, snap, and whatever else blew up with college coaches contacting him. Elite travel teams look at our state rankings to recruit guys. That leads to national exposure against the best kids. I bet it was the same experience for every other nationally ranked kid over the last several years. 

With that said.... don’t try to fly under the radar. Let people know who the kids are. Promote, promote promote. I know you all got sick of all the Avon Youngunz stuff. With that said, 8 kids that were on those teams are wrestling in college. Keeping them relevant and ranked as high as possible put them on radars. 

I love what the young Crown Point program is doing. I bet most of us know their starting line up. Their fans are pumped and are promoting the hell out of their kids. Keep it up Crown Point!!!

I couldn’t agree more.  This is wrestling: we need to promote these kids as much as possible *cough(Reakus Shelton)...achoo(Matt Morris).  The sport and it’s participants need as much exposure as possible. That being said (Snider)Panther Power Restore The Roar.

23 hours ago, sstark said:

I never said rankings mattered. I do think they matter though, because they get these kids exposure which helps with recruiting. I understand that the only rankings that matter, are the 8 men or women standing on the podium and the end of the season.

That last sentence is the dead truth.

On 12/5/2019 at 5:40 PM, Mattyb said:

Saying rankings don’t mean anything is absolutely false. I can speak from experience. As soon as my son hit some national rankings. His phone, instagram, snap, and whatever else blew up with college coaches contacting him. Elite travel teams look at our state rankings to recruit guys. That leads to national exposure against the best kids. I bet it was the same experience for every other nationally ranked kid over the last several years. 

With that said.... don’t try to fly under the radar. Let people know who the kids are. Promote, promote promote. I know you all got sick of all the Avon Youngunz stuff. With that said, 8 kids that were on those teams are wrestling in college. Keeping them relevant and ranked as high as possible put them on radars. 

I love what the young Crown Point program is doing. I bet most of us know their starting line up. Their fans are pumped and are promoting the hell out of their kids. Keep it up Crown Point!!!

So are we talking about ranking as a recruiting tool or determining who the best in the state is?  If your talking recruiting tool then yes i agree.  Once I got ranked I started getting colleges contact me and that was great.  

If we are talking about determining the best in the state.  I stand firm they don't matter. 

Awesome for promoting your program, awesome for recruiting for colleges since we are a one class state.

And TripleB knows I was a horrible wrestler so his assessment is prob accurate.

2 hours ago, piscis1956 said:

TripleB only ranks kids from the Evansville Semi-State, so Red wouldn’t have been an issue with his rankings.

2 hours ago, piscis1956 said:

Tru3..... I was pointing out that was the point when anyone should’ve thought maybe this freshman can beat state-placers.  He was a 5 star on track prior to high school. He had won triple crowns.  It shouldn’t have taken an epiphany a couple years later.

1 hour ago, GenHeavyHandz said:

Tru3..... I was pointing out that was the point when anyone should’ve thought maybe this freshman can beat state-placers.  He was a 5 star on track prior to high school. He had won triple crowns.  It shouldn’t have taken an epiphany a couple years later.

Red was ranked #1 from the start. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.